A base D I would love see

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
In this game...

3-4-4 look

Bennett-Rubin-Mebane

Irvin-Wagner-Wright-Chancellor

Lane-Thomas-McCray-Sherman

You got enough beef on the line to still successfully stuff the run.

You can pass-rush one or two of the LBers, or even blitz one of the DBs.

You can contain Ginn and Olsen from making big, splash plays.

You can play man on Ginn with Lane/Sherman, with the ability to flip high low responsibilities with Thomas and McCray to bracket deep coverage to Ginn's side.

Play man with any of the LBs on Olsen, and then use McCray to bracket him over the top. Or bracket Olsen with any two LBs.

The overall athleticism in the middle of the defense would help contain Newton's running ability.

You get a fresh Avril off the bench in probable passing situations.

You can drop a Lber (Irvin, Wright) for another DB in Nickel Defense. But it wouldnt be necessary as they dont have any other big playmakers at WR. And any of the taller LBers can cover Funchess.

Really the only downside of this look is defending Tolbert and an probably an OL or two to block the 2nd level in run looks. Tolbert would be able to get a hat on an LB as a lead blocker and be tough to bring down as a runner. But this look forces him in the game for the Panthers to have success and it will wear him down quicker.

Seahawks wont play this defense. It would be a great look if Mebane and Rubin were younger and could still generate a dominant pass rush. And if Richard wasnt in his first year as coordinator and the Seahawks practiced and played in this look more often.

But this look to me would take away Cam as a runner, take away Ginn and Olsen as play-makers, with the only downside being a sacrifice of run defense in the 2nd level if LBs cant get off thier blocks. However, a plus side it also gives more opportunity for turnovers with more bodies flowing towards the tackle and more bodies defending the pass and tightening up on the pesky seams.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There's only a handful of very large men who can consistently pressure when facing two gaps. Watt, Richardson, Campbell, anybody else? Bennett is versatile but I don't think that puts him the best position to succeed and I think we'd really struggle to get to Cam.

Have the Panthers struggled against the 3-4 this season or something?

OP
OP
P

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Im not sure if the Panthers struggled against the 3-4. Like I said in the OP we aren't going to use this D but I think it would neutreulize the Panthers three biggest strengths

Cam as a runner.
Olsen as a chain mover.
Ginn as a big splash play-maker.

But again it forces the run D from a strength to more of a chess match.

Gametime

Reaction score
Not enough power and size on the line for a 3 - 4 look.

Tical21

Reaction score
Avril has arguably been our best player. I dunno, we might be able to find some coaches a few days before our playoff game to bring in and teach us an entirely new defense. Let's go for it! Sorry man, you haven't done one of these in a long time. It was a bit of a softball.

chris98251

Reaction score
Panthers are 15 - 1, seems they have played pretty much all fronts, I think it's coaching and desire that gets this done, our players don't take plays off like so many do on other teams, that's the desire, and it's why they are recognized for who they are.

dogorama

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus said:
In this game...

3-4-4 look

That would not be effective with our personnel. Any formation that leaves Avril out makes NO sense. 3-4's are typically the result of teams loaded at LB's, except for Wagner and Wright we are not. No offense to Irvin but most of his success has come at DE.

Fade

Reaction score
Horrible idea.

The Seahawks check to a 3-4 look with the Sam & Leo on the outside, and the Mike & Will on the inside, with the 3T bumped out to the 5T, and the NT playing a 0T. It's in the playbook if they feel like Cam is going to keep the ball. or if the Panthers are going to break out the college style option game. I distinctly remember seeing this look against Kap in the NFCCG.

No need for people to worry about it though. I think Pete knows how to run a defense.

AirStrike

Reaction score
If you're going 3-4-4(which is completely ridiculous) you might as well run a 2-4-5 like Green Bay and NE. An extra down lineman is useless if you're going to play the pass like you're attempting to. There is no middle ground.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
If it was 3rd and 20 AND avril needed a breather and Pete/Richard saw something that they liked about what the Panthers were doing then i would be interested to see how it turns out, but not as our base D