RW has been Sacked 44 times / tied for #1 in the NFL

Fade

Reaction score
He won't set the record, which he was on pace to do mid way through the year, but he still has one of the worst pass blocking O-Lines in the NFL. I find it pretty amazing he is the NFL's highest rated passer despite the collection of turnstiles in front of him.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
I remember the year the Stealers beat the Cards in the SuperBowl. Big Ben had one of the worst o-lines in all of football. Maybe this year the same will happen in the Conf Champ game...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":qmuoxdo6 said:
That right there should earn him MVP

Um. No.

Anyway .. kind of a misleading stat.. the OL struggled with the Rams line sure, but had been playing much better prior to that.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't think the stat is misleading at all. The line has been getting him killed all season and had a good stretch against sub par defenses. Going forward into the playoffs I sure don't expect the line will reproduce the protection we saw against the weak sisters of the poor part of our schedule.
Disrupt out receivers at the LOS to where we can't mask the OL and we are back to Russ being unable to operate from the "pocket" and getting smacked.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Fade":2sj56uhr said:
...I find it pretty amazing he is the NFL's highest rated passer despite the collection of turnstiles in front of him.

ApnaHawk":2sj56uhr said:
I remember the year the Stealers beat the Cards in the SuperBowl. Big Ben had one of the worst o-lines in all of football. Maybe this year the same will happen in the Conf Champ game...

...and Hasselbeck looked better when he had real targets...

...and Manning's OL immediately looked worse once he left Indy...

...and Carr's OL immediately looked better once he left Houston...

...and Aaron Rodgers is amongst the most-sacked - and best - QBs in the NFL...

I wonder when people are going to get it.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3adlnpby said:
Fade":3adlnpby said:
...I find it pretty amazing he is the NFL's highest rated passer despite the collection of turnstiles in front of him.

ApnaHawk":3adlnpby said:

The Greatness that is Rusell Wilson

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":c65os5r1 said:
MontanaHawk05":c65os5r1 said:
Fade":c65os5r1 said:

ApnaHawk":c65os5r1 said:

Even that's not the "it" I'm speaking of. Although our fortunes do swing very heavily with Wilson's success week to week.

hawk45

Reaction score
Odd how Wilson's success suffers heavily vs the Rams which is the biggest OL mismatch we face.
It's almost as if his success is tied to the protection he receives.
Nah it must just be Wilson struggles against the Rams by coincidence. Damn that Wilson.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":369v13z7 said:
ApnaHawk":369v13z7 said:
MontanaHawk05":369v13z7 said:
Fade":369v13z7 said:

ApnaHawk":369v13z7 said:

Even that's not the "it" I'm speaking of. Although our fortunes do swing very heavily with Wilson's success week to week.

O-line problems are overrated?

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawk45":3i1lfk1x said:
Odd how Wilson's success suffers heavily vs the Rams which is the biggest OL mismatch we face.
It's almost as if his success is tied to the protection he receives.
Nah it must just be Wilson struggles against the Rams by coincidence. Damn that Wilson.

have you checked Rodgers this year, his oline is bad and he has played bad. Every Great BQ needs a good oline and passing scheme. Each of this things can help the other, but when both fail the QB fails. That is what happened last game, our oline failed and our scheme failed.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Basically, "OL is the least relevant predictor of offensive success" is how I put it. Those who love to talk about how "it all starts in the trenches" have about a decade of mounting evidence to the contrary to deal with.

Another way to put it is, the OL is actually the easiest component of the offense to compensate for. Which makes it the least relevant predictor. Good play-calling can build a quick passing offense that minimizes protection demands for the QB by getting the ball out quickly. WRs with the skills or physical traits to consistently get open or just catch everything thrown their way, like Julio Jones or AJ Green, will give the QB plenty of freedom to throw. A good QB can help the OL with that quick release and his own decision-making and protection checks, and if he's mobile, accurate while mobile, and permitted to scramble, you can get away with even a bad OL. There are too many examples of this (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson himself for his entire career - he has never had what could be called a good OL) for them to be flukes.

On the other hand, you cannot scheme around the other things nearly as easily. A subpar QB will make inaccurate throws, bad decisions, or hold onto the ball too long. Unremarkable WRs struggle to present themselves as good targets. An OC who isn't creative or adept will leave their offense without direction.

Now, yes - if you have a good offensive line, then things will inevitably happen. It means you've got a Ferrari instead of a Civic. It also means that you're on the hook for every cent that it cost you. Since the cause-effect relationships flow both to and away from the OL, and since there have been so many instances of bad OLs not holding teams back from the Lombardi, I rarely worry about it. I instead worry about the other elements of the team that could be improved more easily.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":9ah02vo7 said:
Basically, "OL is the least relevant predictor of offensive success" is how I put it. Those who love to talk about how "it all starts in the trenches" have about a decade of mounting evidence to the contrary to deal with.

Another way to put it is, the OL is actually the easiest component of the offense to compensate for. Which makes it the least relevant predictor. Good play-calling can build a quick passing offense that minimizes protection demands for the QB by getting the ball out quickly. WRs with the skills or physical traits to consistently get open or just catch everything thrown their way, like Julio Jones or AJ Green, will give the QB plenty of freedom to throw. A good QB can help the OL with that quick release and his own decision-making and protection checks, and if he's mobile, accurate while mobile, and permitted to scramble, you can get away with even a bad OL. There are too many examples of this (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Wilson himself for his entire career - he has never had what could be called a good OL) for them to be flukes.

On the other hand, you cannot scheme around the other things nearly as easily. A bad QB will make inaccurate throws, bad decisions, or hold onto the ball too long. Unremarkable WRs struggle to present themselves as good targets. An OC who isn't creative or adept will leave their offense without direction.

Now, yes - if you have a good offensive line, then things will inevitably happen. It means you've got a Ferrari instead of a Civic. It also means that you're on the hook for every cent that it cost you. Since the cause-effect relationships flow both to and away from the OL, and since there have been so many instances of bad OLs not holding teams back from the Lombardi, I rarely worry about it. I instead worry about the other elements of the team that could be improved more easily.

Fair analysis. The Cowboys have played with that godly line all year and their record just stinks.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't necessarily believe that OL is the most important factor, I just believe that there is a minimum standard required for long term success, and that our team has been masterful at walking that line, but that they constantly flirt with falling below that standard.

When Wilson receives adequate protection he explodes, much more than he explodes with a crappy line and weapons like Harvin and Graham.

In other words I agree with Montana to a point, I just feel that a tad more investment for the OL group is called for.

Wilson is limited by his protection, not the other way around, IMO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":wv7pulx8 said:
That right there should earn him MVP

Totally unlikely as his name isn't Brady, Rodgers, Brees, or whatever the flavour of the week, month, year, or whoever the mediot are anointing. All in all he still isn't rated as a top 5 QB when he's statistically owned all of the top guys allegedly ranked above him.

I don't care what anyone says about RW he's on pace to easily be a 1st ballot HOF QB after putting together ten consecutive winning seasons for the Hawks. I get that I'm overstepping a tad here, but I am right.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2xoks6bw said:
None of them are the fault of Wilson.

Signed,

YouKnowWho

None of them are the fault of the OL either.

Signed,

You know who.

Latest posts