Sherman covering the opposing #1 WR - Super Bowl XLIX

marko358

Reaction score
With the amount of success we've seen with Sherman covering the opponent's #1 WR this year, does anyone think we could have seen a different outcome in the Super Bowl had we deployed that strategy?

I know he had a bum shoulder and all but would it have made a difference in the 4th quarter when the Pats came storming back?

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
Hard to say. If the Pats had been killing us with the deep ball/deep routes, I would say yes, but it was all underneath short routes to Julian "What Concussion Protocol" Edelman that did the damage. Not sure that Sherm is as effective neutralizing those sort of routes.

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
DangerousDoug":3k1favnn said:
Hard to say. If the Pats had been killing us with the deep ball/deep routes, I would say yes, but it was all underneath short routes to Julian "What Concussion Protocol" Edelman that did the damage. Not sure that Sherm is as effective neutralizing those sort of routes.

I'm not sure it would have had an impact either. Just one of those things where maybe if Pete was open to it last year, perhaps things could have turned out slightly differently. It's really made a huge impact in a number of games this year.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Not sure if it would have made a difference. The whole secondary was banged up.

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
12thbrah":1vcc1t3m said:
Not sure if it would have made a difference. The whole secondary was banged up.

I look at it this way. The Pats had 4 scoring drives, all of them for 7 points each. If maybe this strategy could have shortened one of those 4 drives and made them punt or go for a FG, we could have won.

OP
OP
marko358

marko358

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":233k2ivp said:
It would have been a gamble. Have they ever practiced that way?

Not until this year after Cary Williams was repeatedly getting torched. Might have started when we played the Bengals. AJ Green started out blazing hot and I think he would have had a long TD very early but it got called back for a penalty. Sherm started covering him exclusively shortly after that and shut him down.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
This is an odd year. Or maybe not, depending on your view. I think in the past coupla years we
pretty much knew what worked and tweaked it.

This year we had to find out the hard way that what we had was not working. Example Sherm Island
being exclusively right.
Kudos to the players, and probably most especially to the coaches, for working their way through it.
Many teams could have folded through this adversity. Not ours.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
To me, the loss of Lane in SBXLIX was a HUGE detriment. Losing him was just awful in that game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":7wbd3gtr said:
To me, the loss of Lane in SBXLIX was a HUGE detriment. Losing him was just awful in that game.
If Seattle has a healthy secondary for that game, the "2nd and wrong" never happens, or at least doesn't cost them the game.

Before the game started the entire secondary might have had 2 good arms and 2 good legs between them all.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
marko358":ham3g222 said:
With the amount of success we've seen with Sherman covering the opponent's #1 WR this year, does anyone think we could have seen a different outcome in the Super Bowl had we deployed that strategy?

I know he had a bum shoulder and all but would it have made a difference in the 4th quarter when the Pats came storming back?

I think that just means LaFell or Amendola would have had a huge game. Brady was picking on Simon the whole game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2sv9fnkc said:

I would say it eventually cost us the game really. We wouldn't have needed the "call" to win.. they would have sealed that 10 point victory and won going away if they had Lane in there.

Will forever be puzzled by having Burley as an inactive too, though I guess they had to have an extra safety active since Kam and Earl weren't right.

Sucks.. both of our Super Bowl losses had HUGE injuries to an underrated member of the secondary.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I don't think it was the secondary injuries that was the turning point. Yes it hurt us to lose Lane and have everyone else hurt, however in my opinion, when Avril went down, Brady started lighting us up. Avril pulls and Edelman, we win that game by 20. Just my opinion.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ty42p6d said:
marko358":3ty42p6d said:

I think that just means LaFell or Amendola would have had a huge game. Brady was picking on Simon the whole game.

The biggest thing, is would Brady pull a Rodgers, (didnt he throw away from sherm most of the night?) So if you have Sherm shadow Edleman and take him out. I would live with forcing Amendola and Lafell try and beat us. Amendola is by far their best WR (behind Gronk but he's a TE)

Basis4day

Reaction score
The secondary was a shell of itself that game. We didn't lose because of defensive scheme. We got beat. It happened, it's over.

razor150

Reaction score
There is 3 reasons we lost.

Lack of adjustments on defense. We kept doing things that didn't work, Wright on Gronk was a disaster and we kept doing it.

Injuries, as has been started the entire starting Secondary was hurt. Sherman had one good arm with his elbow injury, following Edelman with only one arm to bump and run with probably would have gotten Sherman torched. Simon shouldn't even have been active with how bad his shoulder was, and Burley should have been. The deciding factor on injuries, Avril's was the worst since once he went down our pass rush dried up which helped to expose Simon even more, and Lane's injury made Simon have to play.

The offense didn't show up until the end of the 2nd quarter and almost completely left the building after it got the 10 point lead. The offense was truly pathetic for the majority of the game.

Latest posts