Reminder they changed the rules after we won the Super Bowl

Tokadub

Reaction score
Guys... our defense hasn't been good ever since they changed the rules after our 2013 Super Bowl Victory...

Just a friendly reminder of this fact... it's documented... it really happened.

They wanted to abolish any dominate defense...

If we had the same rules in 2014 we would of beat the Patriots 100%... they didn't want that to happen...

Since then we've adopted a much more passive zone scheme defense in general...

I don't know if it's the coaches fault or that you can't assemble the proper backfield while simultaneously paying one of the top QBs...

My point is... a lot of people are blaming Ken Norton and calling for him to be fired...

In my opinion the NFL didn't want Pete Carrol's defensive scheme to work... and now we have personnel that can't even cover my mother....

If it's true that Ken Norton is the reason why we give a free catch on either sideline every single play (proven true by Josh Allen today)... if it's really true that Ken Norton is the reason why the enemy teams can get infinite free first downs because we don't cover receivers within even 5-10 yard on average... IF THAT'S TRUE and that's what he coached... then yes Ken Norton should be fired... but I think our players are just so bad or injured they can't even contest it if they tried...? That's not the coaches fault if our players can't even run properly to cover anyone...

Even some of our best defenders like KJ and Bobby are old and a slow now (bobby looked real slow today is he injured too?)... if we didn't form a team that has any speed to cover I don't think it matters who the defensive coordinator is... we are just gonna get burned mathematically if our guys are slow...

But back to my main point, they rigged the rules to ruin our defense after we won the Super Bowl... Wilson is making too much money now to get good corner backs...

I do agree it looks like we are playing so soft just giving them every wide open receiver a QB could dream of... but I honestly can't tell if that's coaching or just the fact our players are slow which you can see very clearly...

Final Thoughts:

The Bills have one of the best records in the NFL and we are undefeated at home... the seasons not over. I agree with my prediction before the season started that we will make playoffs and get knocked out before the Super Bowl... but what I've seen from this team has much more potential than that. If we get hot at the right time... I don't think it's out of the question we could win another Super Bowl.

Crizilla

Reaction score
yep its been said the game has passed Pete up a bit. NFL changes like every 5-7 years it gets trendy. They are definitely favoring high scoring offenses lately.

PNW

Reaction score
I’m not buying that excuse, I see teams every Sunday at least fielding mediocre defenses with the same rules we have to abide by, imo it’s the fact that Pete is too delusional to adjust like the rest of the league.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Tokadub... Or should I say Ken Norton Jr.? Why don't you just post under your real name? :mrgreen:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We don't need to have a great defense again.

Just not the worst ever.

That has nothing to do with the rules changing because other teams are nowhere near as bad as us.

If you rated our DL, I doubt it would grade out in terms of talent (not results because our DC is hampering those), as the worst in the NFL. Same with the LBs and secondary.

Our struggles have less to do with rule changes than someone in a key position struggling to be effective at their job. Notably our current DC.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The NFL did change rules in name of safety but also because they
want offense because it's sexy and makes money..
A lot of women don't know football but they know a touchdown.
So today when you see all these flashy passing stats and high
scores don't kid yourselves and trying comparing to the era's
of the past or 2013 because a lot of today doesn't happen period.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
It seems that there are still dominant defenses in the NFL. It seems that the Seahawks are not one of them.

Old dog new tricks?

Rat

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3vy3p9s2 said:
It seems that there are still dominant defenses in the NFL. It seems that the Seahawks are not one of them.

That's an understatement. Our defense probably doesn't even rank in the top 31 in the league right now.

John63

Reaction score
Tokadub":3gk38ngc said:
Guys... our defense hasn't been good ever since they changed the rules after our 2013 Super Bowl Victory...

Just a friendly reminder of this fact... it's documented... it really happened.

They wanted to abolish any dominate defense...

If we had the same rules in 2014 we would of beat the Patriots 100%... they didn't want that to happen...

Since then we've adopted a much more passive zone scheme defense in general...

I don't know if it's the coaches fault or that you can't assemble the proper backfield while simultaneously paying one of the top QBs...

My point is... a lot of people are blaming Ken Norton and calling for him to be fired...

In my opinion the NFL didn't want Pete Carrol's defensive scheme to work... and now we have personnel that can't even cover my mother....

If it's true that Ken Norton is the reason why we give a free catch on either sideline every single play (proven true by Josh Allen today)... if it's really true that Ken Norton is the reason why the enemy teams can get infinite free first downs because we don't cover receivers within even 5-10 yard on average... IF THAT'S TRUE and that's what he coached... then yes Ken Norton should be fired... but I think our players are just so bad or injured they can't even contest it if they tried...? That's not the coaches fault if our players can't even run properly to cover anyone...

Even some of our best defenders like KJ and Bobby are old and a slow now (bobby looked real slow today is he injured too?)... if we didn't form a team that has any speed to cover I don't think it matters who the defensive coordinator is... we are just gonna get burned mathematically if our guys are slow...

But back to my main point, they rigged the rules to ruin our defense after we won the Super Bowl... Wilson is making too much money now to get good corner backs...

I do agree it looks like we are playing so soft just giving them every wide open receiver a QB could dream of... but I honestly can't tell if that's coaching or just the fact our players are slow which you can see very clearly...

Final Thoughts:

The Bills have one of the best records in the NFL and we are undefeated at home... the seasons not over. I agree with my prediction before the season started that we will make playoffs and get knocked out before the Super Bowl... but what I've seen from this team has much more potential than that. If we get hot at the right time... I don't think it's out of the question we could win another Super Bowl.

So in other words the rules changed but PC has not so this is on PC

bmorepunk

Reaction score
<Looks at all the teams who have held another team under 20 points this season>

Checks out.

kf3339

Reaction score
Crizilla":1wspx28w said:
yep its been said the game has passed Pete up a bit. NFL changes like every 5-7 years it gets trendy. They are definitely favoring high scoring offenses lately.

This is probably the most correct statement. The NFL has changed the rules in regard to defensive play. They are making it very difficult to cover any receivers be it WR, TE or RB. So since the rules have changed you need to adjust your play and schemes more than in the past. The need to be creative not just in game planning, but more importantly in-game adjustments are the new norm.

That is where PC needs the help because his system doesn't work as well in today's NFL. So the need for a really creative DC is paramount to having a top 10 defense. We don't have that coach on our team.

So until PC decides to bring in the right type of DC and other position coaches we will probably continue to struggle.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Which begs the question. Would Dan Quinn be effective as a DC, even if Pete stepped back and let him run the defense?

Lots of fans calling for his return forget that he only had the one year after the rule changes, and he had the LOB in their prime.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
with Quinn at DC this team would be better overnight. 100% lock, take it to the bank. they fired KNJ at Oakland for a reason. He's not DC material. he's a position coach that's in way over his head.

Hawker8989

Reaction score
It hurts to even talk about it. Because I was convinced we were about to repeat. Ten minutes left. 10 point lead. Patriots did nothing on offense.

Then...the turning point happened. Inexplicably giving up 3rd and 15. Edelman somehow hangs on after nearly being decapitated. From that point on, the formidable defense crumbled.

I always wondered what the Patriots would've done had they been faced with a 4th down. Would they have gone for it?

So the legend of the L.O.B. wasn't the same after that.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is correct the biggest rule change in the last 40 years of NFL history was made in 2015 when the league moved extra points from the 2-yard line to the 15-yard line. Now extra points can completely change a score, they even saw it in the 2016 AFC championship game when the Patriots had to go for two because they missed an extra point.

Ol Roger really wanted to stick it to Steven Hauschka.

Also, the Patriots Rule to have a running back lineup on the line of scrimmage, not run a route, so the offensive tackle could run a route was outlawed too.

This is a joke topic dude, all the major rule changes since 2014 have targeted special teams and blocking. Two things that would have helped the 2012-2014 LOB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sdog1981":cemdiv2o said:
This is correct the biggest rule change in the last 40 years of NFL history was made in 2015 when the league moved extra points from the 2-yard line to the 15-yard line. Now extra points can completely change a score, they even saw it in the 2016 AFC championship game when the Patriots had to go for two because they missed an extra point.

Ol Roger really wanted to stick it to Steven Hauschka.

Also, the Patriots Rule to have a running back lineup on the line of scrimmage, not run a route, so the offensive tackle could run a route was outlawed too.

This is a joke topic dude, all the major rule changes since 2014 have targeted special teams and blocking. Two things that would have helped the 2012-2014 LOB.
They changed the hitting ..You can't see the flags every week?
A kam today would be ejected,fined and suspended.
Here you go..https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops ... s-changes/

knownone

Reaction score
It's fair to say that rules changes have made it harder to play defense.

However, the Niners and Jaguars have had recent success running roughly the same defense as us. So, It would seem that, in order to have an elite defense, you need elite players. As painful as it is to admit, we don't have a particular strong group of players.

This season, most of thought that pass rush was going to be our only major weakness. It turns out our issues were much deeper. The thing is if this was was 2013, our defense would be fine because, back then, teams didn't spread you out nearly as often, and they were more inclined to run the ball.

As you mentioned, we don't have the speed to cover over the middle. On top of that, we don't have the pass rush to disrupt those patterns before they happen. And, worse, we don't have corners capable of playing man coverage to allow us to shift our scheme in order to help mask our issues underneath. These are not issue that rule changes have created; these are issues that poor player acquisition, scheme fit, injuries, and coaching have created. It's certainly not terminal. They can turn it around this season, but it's definitely not the major fault of any rule changes.

Fade

Reaction score
Reminder: The other 31 teams playing under the same rules are better than the Seahawks at defense.

In fact, the Seahawks are the worst of all-time, on pace to blow the record out of the water by 1,000 yards.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
You can't hit the QB. You can't touch his head or neck. You can push him over, but you can't land on top of him.

Defenseless receiver. Leading with the helmet. More and more emphasis on illegal contact and DPI.

Not saying you can't have a better defense today than we have here. Asking whether the defensive strategy, and players, of yesteryear would be nearly as effective in today's game.