Give Props to the O-Line

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that, our team, has a good offensive line. I was even impressed with Gilliam.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't think that RW's confidence in the pocket and the O-Line's resurgence are a coincidence.

This is simply a traditional line, they need someone who can sit in a pocket. Once RW leaves the pocket early they are bad at improvisation. Kind of like JG.

hawk45

Reaction score
The OL proved it can dominate against a depleted DL, which is big progress from the beginning of the year. That isn't the backhanded compliment it sounds like, it is encouraging.
Never thought I would see that pass pro against any team from a Cable line. Russ was barely threatened out there.

kearly

Reaction score
The 'Hawks are using TEs to chip block a lot more, and it's paying big dividends.

Also, Seattle's run game was ABYSMAL when Rawls left the game, but Seattle still stuck with the run anyway. Staying two dimensional even in the face of extreme adversity helped the protection also.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This thread cannot be understated. The rise of this OL is in direct correlation to Tom Cable's teaching. I have been one of the 12's wondering if Cable was living up to his paycheck but no longer. It's been a remarkable turn around, especially when considering where they came from (players learning new positions).

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
kearly":38teor0g said:
The 'Hawks are using TEs to chip block a lot more, and it's paying big dividends.

Also, Seattle's run game was ABYSMAL when Rawls left the game, but Seattle still stuck with the run anyway. Staying two dimensional even in the face of extreme adversity helped the protection also.

Also the combo blocking was impeccable today (between the center and guards) Rawls probably would have run for close to 200 yards today. Averaged over 7 yards per carry before he went down.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":smxwscub said:
Also the combo blocking was impeccable today (between the center and guards) Rawls probably would have run for close to 200 yards today. Averaged over 7 yards per carry before he went down.

He was a "man on a mission" while he was in there. I agree with you...this was going to be another 200 yarder.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I've been saying since the beginning of the year our offensive struggle have been entirely the offensive line's fault, and I honestly believe this line is playing better because of Patrick Lewis. I think his direction of the line has helped out immensely, and I think he has a much better rapport with Wilson than Nowak did. He may not be great in pass protection, but the line is actually playing cohesively now, and that makes up for any supposed downgrade in pass protection between Nowak and Lewis.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Absolutely. Best game by this group, or any hawk OL group, I have seen in a long time.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Maulbert":spc8u73y said:
I've been saying since the beginning of the year our offensive struggle have been entirely the offensive line's fault, and I honestly believe this line is playing better because of Patrick Lewis. I think his direction of the line has helped out immensely, and I think he has a much better rapport with Wilson than Nowak did. He may not be great in pass protection, but the line is actually playing cohesively now, and that makes up for any supposed downgrade in pass protection between Nowak and Lewis.

Totally agree. Played RG in high school. Center made the run blocking calls and the pass pro, based on the play and the Dline's position. From that point, guards gave the tackles their assignments. If a line is organized and in sync enough you can even make fake calls based on the plays. I really cannot imagine how complicated the NFL is with line calls. Confidence of the center is just as important as the QB's ( rest of the line has to have faith in the center's calls).

Zorn76

Reaction score
They are doing their job over the last 4 games, compared to doing very poorly, overall, for the first 9 weeks.

Not at all sold on this group for the future, as it still needs adjustments.

Sweezy's gotta go at a minimum. Okung could easily be gone in FA next year.

I hope Pete has plenty of competition brought in next spring.

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":13onn2km said:

Russ and the WRs had to go ham on 3rd down or that would have been all we were talking about tonight.

kearly

Reaction score
Laloosh":lvvbqimn said:
Russ and the WRs had to go ham on 3rd down or that would have been all we were talking about tonight.

I said the same thing during the game to my brother- how Seattle has been unbelievable on 3rd downs and RZ the past four games, and without Rawls, boy did they need it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Absolutely sensational turnaround by the O-Line, and Russell Wilson is now able to rev it up without coming apart.
There will still be a misfire or two in the games, but ain't it amazing what RW can do with better protection?

love1u0

Reaction score
Yes, props to the boys up front!

It is great that Wilson actually has time to get the job done, I never lost faith in him :)