Cable: Patrick Lewis gets the start at center

Hawks46

Reaction score
I hate to be negative, but I hope this doesn't bite us in the ass.

Nowak has been playing a lot better and showing steady improvement. We need continuity on the OL. I'm hoping that they've had Lewis in all week and the extra practice or so they get for the bye week.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Lewis played relatively well in two games against Arizona last year. He is probably still the best run blocking center on the roster. Though he is not especially quick footed, which will likely hurt in pass pro against a defense that will be eager to take advantage of a lack of quickness in the interior.

I was kind of hoping the line would continue to build on what they had accomplished over the last couple weeks with Nowak, but Lewis has a pretty good track record against this defense (especially in that record-setting 2nd game). At the same time, I would hope that Lewis is put on a short leash and that they strongly consider moving back to Nowak in the 2nd half if Lewis causes any instability.

seahawks08

Reaction score
It will rain Sunday, more run for both teams, makes sense to have a better run blocker.

Largent80

Reaction score
Wow, constantly tinkering with the O-Line. I guess when you are rated last these things happen.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
seahawks08":2r9xeuea said:
It will rain Sunday, more run for both teams, makes sense to have a better run blocker.

It WILL rain?
My forecast for Sunday NIGHT, shows a CHANCE of rain.

Ozzy

Reaction score
hawknation2015":ue2qeoi1 said:
Lewis played relatively well in two games against Arizona last year. He is probably still the best run blocking center on the roster. Though he is not especially quick footed, which will likely hurt in pass pro against a defense that will be eager to take advantage of a lack of quickness in the interior.

I was kind of hoping the line would continue to build on what they had accomplished over the last couple weeks with Nowak, but Lewis has a pretty good track record against this defense (especially in that record-setting 2nd game). At the same time, I would hope that Lewis is put on a short leash and that they strongly consider moving back to Nowak in the 2nd half if Lewis causes any instability.

Maybe the thought is AZ pass rush is pretty weak so why not put our run game in the best position possible to succeed. I could be wrong but I think they are one of the worst teams in the league for sack numbers.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
About Lewis starting at center again, Cable said something to the effect of "around here, guys don't lose their starting job due to injury." But Max Unger lost his starting job at center this offseason due to his injury history that last couple of years, so that statement is obviously BS.

Lewis is just the better at the present than Nowak at making the line calls, that's why he's in.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":2pl231zn said:
About Lewis starting at center again, Cable said something to the effect of "around here, guys don't lose their starting job due to injury." But Max Unger lost his starting job at center this offseason due to his injury history that last couple of years, so that statement is obviously BS.

Lewis is just the better at the present than Nowak at making the line calls, that's why he's in.
Not bad logic at all. AZ will try to confuse our front quite a bit.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is the biggest game so far this season for the Seahawks. They have to win to keep pace for a playoff spot. Thus going with a more experienced player who had success against the Cards previously. Makes sense.

Basis4day

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":14840csd said:

I think getting traded is a bit different than getting demoted on the depth chart.

kearly

Reaction score
It's a matchup decision, Seattle did the same thing last year with Lewis, LJP, and Schilling. And it actually worked pretty well, considering what the Center situation was.

Nowak has played better in recent games. But its not surprising that Lewis got the matchup nod this week since it goes with last year's MO. What is more interesting in is to see who gets tabbed for Aaron Donald duty in week 16.

mikeak

Reaction score
Basis4day":1m08f6mh said:
CalgaryHawk":1m08f6mh said:

I think getting traded is a bit different than getting demoted on the depth chart.

Lol yes and even if it wasn't a big difference between off season and regular season as well

peppersjap

Reaction score
Basis4day":33juxxu3 said:
CalgaryHawk":33juxxu3 said:

Thank you!

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2rmuos41 said:
CalgaryHawk":2rmuos41 said:

If you don't care for the example I chose that's fine, but I thought the statement from Cable was a strange one to make. Thurmond lost his starting job to Sherman for good as a result of injury, it happens on the Hawks. Maybe what Cable was trying to imply here is that in a vacuum (e.g., no salary cap implications) people lose their starting jobs for performance reasons alone. Reading between the lines, it suggests to me that Cable has been disappointed with Nowak's performance - Cable went out on a limb in naming Nowak the starting center coming out of preseason so maybe he feels that Nowak has let him down and embarrassed him.

It will be interesting to see if Nowak stays on the 53 man roster all year or gets the boot when Lane comes back or depth issues at other positions comes up.