Cable: Patrick Lewis gets the start at center

hawkfan68

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":31svj2kt said:
Basis4day":31svj2kt said:
CalgaryHawk":31svj2kt said:
About Lewis starting at center again, Cable said something to the effect of "around here, guys don't lose their starting job due to injury." But Max Unger lost his starting job at center this offseason due to his injury history that last couple of years, so that statement is obviously BS.

Lewis is just the better at the present than Nowak at making the line calls, that's why he's in.

I think getting traded is a bit different than getting demoted on the depth chart.

If you don't care for the example I chose that's fine, but I thought the statement from Cable was a strange one to make. Thurmond lost his starting job to Sherman for good as a result of injury, it happens on the Hawks. Maybe what Cable was trying to imply here is that in a vacuum (e.g., no salary cap implications) people lose their starting jobs for performance reasons alone. Reading between the lines, it suggests to me that Cable has been disappointed with Nowak's performance - Cable went out on a limb in naming Nowak the starting center coming out of preseason so maybe he feels that Nowak has let him down and embarrassed him.

It will be interesting to see if Nowak stays on the 53 man roster all year or gets the boot when Lane comes back or depth issues at other positions comes up.

Nowak won't be released. They can IR Lockette to open a spot for Lane when he's ready.

Basis4day

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":xr1mnlol said:
Basis4day":xr1mnlol said:
CalgaryHawk":xr1mnlol said:
About Lewis starting at center again, Cable said something to the effect of "around here, guys don't lose their starting job due to injury." But Max Unger lost his starting job at center this offseason due to his injury history that last couple of years, so that statement is obviously BS.

Lewis is just the better at the present than Nowak at making the line calls, that's why he's in.

I think getting traded is a bit different than getting demoted on the depth chart.

If you don't care for the example I chose that's fine, but I thought the statement from Cable was a strange one to make. Thurmond lost his starting job to Sherman for good as a result of injury, it happens on the Hawks. Maybe what Cable was trying to imply here is that in a vacuum (e.g., no salary cap implications) people lose their starting jobs for performance reasons alone. Reading between the lines, it suggests to me that Cable has been disappointed with Nowak's performance - Cable went out on a limb in naming Nowak the starting center coming out of preseason so maybe he feels that Nowak has let him down and embarrassed him.

It will be interesting to see if Nowak stays on the 53 man roster all year or gets the boot when Lane comes back or depth issues at other positions comes up.

Walter Thurmond played what, 6 games in Sherman's rookie season and only played in 1 game the first year Sherman made All-Pro? These really aren't the best examples when you're saying a coach is making statements that are "BS" as you put it.

You paraphrase one thing Cable says and are trying to stretch it to extremes. Sometimes coaches speak in generalities.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2q5yodmb said:
CalgaryHawk":2q5yodmb said:
Basis4day":2q5yodmb said:
CalgaryHawk":2q5yodmb said:

Nowak won't be released. They can IR Lockette to open a spot for Lane when he's ready.

They're going to IR Lockette to bring Richardson back. Lane will probably push one of the secondary guys that haven't been able to make the field to the PS.

Latest posts