Time to Change Our Image?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Two superbowls under this team's belt. Although it isn't true we are believed by most to be among the dirtiest and most immature teams. Fans of other teams I know point to "the Mouth" Sherman and Baldwin as confident but selfish representatives of the Hawks who they despise. Their image of our team as thugs and whiners is furthered by the media and by controversies in our coach's past. We know our players are talented and look to each other just as our fans share a unique bond and love for this team.
We are no longer under dogs. Our receivers may not be elite but they have respect now. Dougie Fresh must know the world doesn't doubt him so much as they are jealous and despise our seahawks. Our immaturity just reinforces their hate.
My Point: the early 2000s Patriots assumed the image of their clean-cut boyscout qb Brady. They were often perceived by many as good guys even when they are not. Our Seahawks team is young, talented but naive. They continue to be perceived as a band of immature thugs because of our defensive style of play, controversial rants AND now our team's brawl in response to losing the superbowl. We play hard and disciplined. Dirty and thuggish is not who we are. Furthermore our locker room shouldnt be divided by personal differences such as color, politics or religion. This past season proves that they can succeed when they become selfless, focused and mature.
Take time to recoup. Stock on Talent. Redefine our Image.
We will continue to be Winners.

timmat

Reaction score
I agree with the fact that the national perspective of our team and characters are off the mark. But some of my disappointment about yesterday's game was a few of of our leaders acted to the stereotype. There's usually something redemptive to Baldwin and Sherman's bravado. But Doug's take-a-dump celebration and Sherm's straight- to-camera taunt were closer to that national perspective than what we've come to know.

I don't know about changing our image - we need to be who we are, something Pete encourages brilliantly. But I would have liked to see players - and coaches - playing and acting like we've been there before.

crosfam

Reaction score
We do need to talk a little less and just play hard-nosed football. But we cant change who the team is, they are going to talk smack. Just play like the battle hardened playoff veterans they all are now. I would ban all scoring celebrations until the next NFC championship. Handshakes only.

OP
OP
R

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
timmat":g07gww2m said:
I agree with the fact that the national perspective of our team and characters are off the mark. But some of my disappointment about yesterday's game was a few of of our leaders acted to the stereotype. There's usually something redemptive to Baldwin and Sherman's bravado. But Doug's take-a-dump celebration and Sherm's straight- to-camera taunt were closer to that national perspective than what we've come to know.

I don't know about changing our image - we need to be who we are, something Pete encourages brilliantly. But I would have liked to see players - and coaches - playing and acting like we've been there before.
The team doesn't have to change much. Just stop the off field noise. Learn to be a good leader on the field and willing follower like Kam & Russ. So many strong colorful personalities is good to have but make sure the many voices aren't causing discord in the locker room. Ideally this team takes on the personality of its coach and franchise qb just as many great teams have done.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I love this team. As long as we don't employ murderers and cheats, who cares how they are perceived.

OP
OP
R

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The weird thing is that this team's identity on the field is about defense and rushing which makes this loss from a pass much harder to accept. If this happened with the Colts or Broncos the response would not have been as shocking. Common refrain is we should have run the ball because it is our strength and identity. Nobody wants to hear that the pass had thought behind it. Our strength may have been our running game however this emphasis on running also contributes to our weaknesses which are predictability and fewer passing opportunities. My hope is that our offense will evolve to become more balanced, dangerous and more unpredictable.
As much as I dislike Bevell's decisions I can say he is a good person who has had more faith in our passing game than anyone outside of the qb and receivers. It was those few passing plays that set up the scores. This historic failed passing play is proof he trusted the passing offense. It will weigh on him for a long time.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
No thanks...we tried the boys out thing when Ruskell was around. Didn't work.

kearly

Reaction score
If being the villain means we win more, so be it.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I was embarrassed by that brawl at the end of the game. It was classless and immature. I think it only reinforced our image as thugs and punks. I'm frankly tired of it. They've been around long enough. Grow up.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have done the above reproach men with the white hat.

Good guys can wear Black also :)

dradee

Reaction score
Dont change a thing as far as that goes! These dogs have bite aswell as bark!

Chosen1

Reaction score
Yes, the Seahawks should absolutely change their image to appease insecure fans.

... Wow.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Omg..So your worried about image?Like how someone or media percieves you and the team instead of the results that the body of work produces?Why change what works when there is nothing broke?I don't want to be like other nice teams that stay home or leave early in the playoffs like our team used to..

original poster

Reaction score
-The Glove-":mt2oi5k2 said:
I love this team. As long as we don't employ murderers and cheats, who cares how they are perceived.

Unfortunately we already employ someone that has murdered.

Kam does it at least 6 times a week between September and January.

netskier

Reaction score
How does simulating taking a crap on the field help won the game?

How does ball-shitting not antagonize the officials, who have the power to determine who wins by calling holding on every play?

How does ball-shitting increase commercial endorsement opportunities?

How does ball shitting help Seattle displace Dallas as America's team, with all the attendant advantages of being favored by the refs, TV schedules, advertisers, the media, and the NFL?

Does Paul Allen approve of ball-shitting?

netskier

Reaction score
Ball shitting is almost unimaginably low class.

Do the Seahawks really aspire to the image of the LA Raiders of Al Davis?

Pete needs to counsel Baldwin immediately to protect the team first and always and in all ways, no matter how angry he is.

Seahawks25

Reaction score
I have thought about this a lot over the past year. Living in Denver and travelling a fair amount for work, I encounter a ton of non-Seahawk fans. Also known as haters. When I press them on the "hate" it comes down to several things: Sherman's rant after the NFCCG. This one is frustrating as you have to take it in the context of what happened to get him there. Marshawn, the media and crotch grabbing. As a person that has met him, I found him to be talkative and genuine. Believe it or not, one individual even hates Wilson 'cause he thinks he's too good." Oh, and of course Pete is a cheat. Now, as if the loss Sunday was not enough, now I have to hear about Baldwin's idiot touchdown celebration and of course our "thugs" brawling at the end of the game.

I understand that the "chip on the shoulder" is part of what makes them so good. However, after back to back S.B. appearances, the point has been proven. I think it's time to find a new mantra. Bronco fans HATE the patriots, but many were rooting for them as our "show" simply grates on other fans. Don't get me wrong I LOVE this team, but there has to be a way to show class and not lose that edge.

Chawks1

Reaction score
I don't mind the Bravado. Just have to make sure we don't cross the line.....I.E. Doug Baldwin dropping a deuce on the football field.....not cool. Too far. Talk the talk but also walk the walk.