Time to Change Our Image?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":ssioons4 said:
timmat":ssioons4 said:
I agree with the fact that the national perspective of our team and characters are off the mark. But some of my disappointment about yesterday's game was a few of of our leaders acted to the stereotype. There's usually something redemptive to Baldwin and Sherman's bravado. But Doug's take-a-dump celebration and Sherm's straight- to-camera taunt were closer to that national perspective than what we've come to know.

I don't know about changing our image - we need to be who we are, something Pete encourages brilliantly. But I would have liked to see players - and coaches - playing and acting like we've been there before.

The team doesn't have to change much. Just stop the off field noise. .

i dont want to be argumentative, but this team is all about on the field noise. where is this off the field stuff? Shermans very informative media visits? Lynch not saying anything? Wilson? Baldwin and Kearse can be a bit much playing the disrespect card, but its not like they set up the post game interviews.

honestly, these guys are pretty far removed from "off field noise?"

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Personally I couldn't care less about all this stuff, but the Seahawks have been building this image for awhile. From Golden Tate's taunting (now gone, but it helped form the image) to Lynch's crotch grabbing and media sessions and Sherman's self-promotional, sore-winner ranting, and ADB's poop celebration and media ranting I definitely think that a lot of fans are turned off by the Seahawks. They of course wouldn't care the slightest if the Hawks weren't winning, but because they are, they're doing this stuff on a national stage and the optics just aren't good.

Personally though, I don't really get worked up for feigned morality stuff like this. When it comes to success the coaching staff should maybe invest some time in making sure the O and D lines don't jump offisdes all the time rather than coaching the players to not act like idiots sometimes.

brettb3

Reaction score
Here is an alternative take: the Seahawks' brash image has actually gained them more fans than they would have if they were a bunch of boring choir boys. As much as some fans are turned off by it, others love it. One only needs to look at the explosion of followers they've gained on social media over the last couple years to know this is the case.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Back in their glory days, the Raiders were hated by all but their own fans.

Pete believes in letting his guys be them selves, he also knows them very well before he gives them a jersey.
I'm thinking, what you see is what you get.
A bunch of talented athletes from all walks of life and many different personalities.

swagcity21

Reaction score
what happened to any publicity is good publicity?? At least the national media knows were not from Alaska now :roll:

On a serious note though I agree that some of the rants off of field are not really needed... case and point Baldwins rant after NFCCG. but as long as they are having fun on the field who cares.

I'm sure Eventually most will act like they've been to the promise land before. but if our attitude keeps us edgy and trendy then who cares what the nation thinks as long as we continue to be the last thing team they see holding the trophy.

olyfan63

Reaction score
netskier":7hdebrb2 said:
Ball shitting is almost unimaginably low class.

Do the Seahawks really aspire to the image of the LA Raiders of Al Davis?

Pete needs to counsel Baldwin immediately to protect the team first and always and in all ways, no matter how angry he is.

pmedic920":7hdebrb2 said:
Back in their glory days, the Raiders were hated by all but their own fans.

Pete believes in letting his guys be them selves, he also knows them very well before he gives them a jersey.
I'm thinking, what you see is what you get.
A bunch of talented athletes from all walks of life and many different personalities.

It does seem like today's Seahawks are to today's NFL as the Raiders were to the NFL of 30 years ago.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.

We can't really control the national mediot BS; they have their own agenda and spin. It's a fools errand to give our "National media image" any extra attention. Al Davis said it well, "Just win, baby." That's all Pete and John REALLY need to focus on.

Pete Carroll is one of the greatest, straight-arrow kinds of guys, and he takes a bunch of undeserved crap over first the Reggie Bush fiasco, and then over Brandon Browner doing PEDs and pot, and other stupid stuff some players have done that has nothing to do with Pete. All Pete needs to do is keep being himself. All the Seahawks need to do is keep being themselves. We have great leaders in Wilson, Sherman, Bennett, Kam, Earl, Wagner, and I'll even toss in guys like Miller, Sweezy, Mebane, and Okung that lead by example. (yes, an injured Okung sucks and gets lots of stupid penalties. You try playing in the NFL with a bad wing. Okung is still a leader on this team.) And especially Lynch in the by-example category, on-field performance.

The Seahawks don't need to do a damn thing different. Except tell Baldwin, as a team and to a man, to not be a classless, selfish asshole with the game in the balance in the Super Bowl. That was an embarrassment to everything Pete Carroll and the Seahawks stand for. Save the stupid stuff for the post-game after a WIN, Dougie-poo.

Latest posts