Holmgren

LTH

Reaction score
Just curious... Do Seahawk fans have respect for Mike Holmgren? I used to think he was golden... but After he turned down Seattle for more money in cleveland, Not so much...

LTH

kidhawk

Reaction score
Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but he took us from the doldrums to the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. I'll always respect him for that.

sutz

Reaction score
LTH":14w77g91 said:
Just curious... Do Seahawk fans have respect for Mike Holmgren? I used to think he was golden... but After he turned down Seattle for more money in cleveland, Not so much...

LTH
I don't think money was the issue. More about control, and how Ruskell was ruining the team by picking players Holmie didn't like/didn't think fit. There was, unfortunately, a lot of dysfunction in that FO.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
sutz":1z1dt4ja said:
LTH":1z1dt4ja said:

LTH
I don't think money was the issue. More about control, and how Ruskell was ruining the team by picking players Holmie didn't like/didn't think fit. There was, unfortunately, a lot of dysfunction in that FO.

Unfortunately? I would argue fortunately.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
LTH":1d4c30x3 said:

LTH
Where did that come from? Holmgren never turned the Hawks down for Cleveland, thats a complete lie

pmedic920

Reaction score
I have a ton of respect for him.
At the time he brought HOPE for our future. I think he did a great job with what he had to work with.
He wasn't perfect, nobody is.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Im thankful for Holmgren making us relevant but in the grand scheme his tenure was a let down. He stuck with a quarterback that was never going to get it done on the big stage. I get it, before some of you chime in, that Matt shouldve won Superbowl XL but the fact of the matter is that we didnt. Im still chapped but fact is that Mike rested on his laurels and it wasnt good enough. I do have absolute respect for him though even if this post doesnt seem like it. If Vinnys helmet doesnt score a touchdown Holmgren most likely never becomes the Seahawks coach. Its incredible to look back at the chain of events that brought us to this moment in Seahawks history.

Northhawk

Reaction score
It took Holmie a while to get us to the SB but I always respected and admired him for getting us there.

I thought he was basically pushed out after they took away his authority over player personnel. Like Pete, he wanted to pick his people for his system but he-who-shall-go-unnamed took it away and started installing his high character, big school approach. Not that Holmie was as successful as Pete but that's what it appeared he wanted.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":30dbxrk6 said:
Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but he took us from the doldrums to the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. I'll always respect him for that.

This. I'll be forever thankful for the attention and success he brought the team. There were a lot of things I didn't like about Holmgren (hated him as a GM and didn't much like the way he built the team), but considering where this team was before he showed up, I'm glad he came here when he did (though I'm also glad he moved on when he did).

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":39bo0bhv said:
LTH":39bo0bhv said:

LTH
Where did that come from? Holmgren never turned the Hawks down for Cleveland, thats a complete lie

Ok... then how did it happen? refresh my memory please...

LTH

kidhawk

Reaction score
LTH":3imo1slx said:
Hawkfan77":3imo1slx said:
LTH":3imo1slx said:

LTH

LTH

He took a year off, then was offered a possibility to return to Seattle, but not in the type of role which he wanted, so he took the Cleveland job. It was about the job not the money. His main issue in his time here was that he wanted more control. We didn't give that to him and Cleveland did.

idahawks

Reaction score
LTH":skoodnrr said:
Hawkfan77":skoodnrr said:
LTH":skoodnrr said:

LTH

LTH
I thought he voluntarily left because Ruskell was making stupid decision he didn't agree with. He could see the writing on the wall and left. I think he did missionary work for a couple years and then came to Cleveland. At that time we were in the middle of the Mora catastrophe and I don't think we were interested in hiring him anyway.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
I like him, but wasn't impressed by the lengthy interview he did with Green Bay reporters before the NFCCG in the best way(s) to attack and beat Seattle. He can do what he wants of course, but coulda done without it

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
" when a player says its not about the money, Its about the money"

Mike Holmgren

seahawksny

Reaction score
Love him
took us from crap to super bowl
his play calling got very consercative at end, but he had very little to work with at time

kidhawk

Reaction score
LTH":1dyjlx2h said:
" when a player says its not about the money, Its about the money"

Mike Holmgren

so basically your theory is anecdotal evidence > factual evidence

That is your right to believe it. Does't make it true

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
I dont know what is true I just think that its interesting that Holmgren made that comment...

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Will always cherish his contributions to my team.

It's so easy to forget where this franchise was before he came here. This was the Siberia of the NFL. Holmgren, by himself, gave this franchise legitimacy. At the time he arrived, this was a club that had to be torn down and rebuilt. Much in the same way Pete/John had to undo the foul state that Ruskell had left the club in.

The reality was, Seattle had kind of moved on from Holmgren after he left. And for what it's worth, I think that was a smart move. Holmgren wasn't as talented of an administrator/talent evaluator as he was a coach and teacher. But the genesis for this organization as it stands today began the day Holmgren arrived and the culling of talent in the front office from Green Bay began.

So many of the key organizational talents here now have strong/direct ties with Holmgren's tenure here. Green Bay and Seattle both have shared/swapped talent in that regard since 1999. Ted Thompson played key roles in Seattle before becoming GM in Green Bay. Schneider blossomed under Thompson and obviously has had a fantastic run here.

There is so much similarity in how this organization is run between the two franchises and that connection doesn't happen if Holmgren doesn't bring that here. Mike left a lasting impact that can still be seen today. The franchise most definitely turned a distinct direction from an organization standpoint upon his arrival here.

kidhawk

Reaction score
LTH":3gu0a6i5 said:
I dont know what is true I just think that its interesting that Holmgren made that comment...

That is a totally different situation. Players are jockeying for the same job on different teams, so money is the biggest factor. Holmgren's situation was that he wanted a GM job and Seattle didn't offer that. Cleveland did.