Holmgren

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
kidhawk":54qyrzwi said:
LTH":54qyrzwi said:
I dont know what is true I just think that its interesting that Holmgren made that comment...

That is a totally different situation. Players are jockeying for the same job on different teams, so money is the biggest factor. Holmgren's situation was that he wanted a GM job and Seattle didn't offer that. Cleveland did.

I think Holmgren has a special relationship with the media and a special, historical, relationship with the fans... Thats the way it should be remembered...

LTH

Phteven

Reaction score
Just for myself, I think Holmgren is right there with Chuck Knox as one of the best HCs we've ever had. Knox built a solid team that was fun to watch and competitive in a tough AFC division. Holmgren saved the franchise from the dead zone that was the 1990s. People who aren't familliar with the Seahawks franchise will say things like they were the doormat of the league for decades until recently. This just flat out isn't true, and Holmgren was a big part of the Seahawk's success.

I still remember when he was announced to come to Seattle. I was SO excited that we had a HC who had won a SB with GB, and was instrumental in developing Favre. I was stoked to hear that he brought Hasselbeck over, too.

Bottom line, football is a business. But the Holmgren era was good for the fans here in Seattle.

USCEAHAWKS

Reaction score
pmedic920":2hw6ybqk said:
^^^^
Pete is on his way to being one of the best coaches in HISTORY period.
Not just Seahawks history.
Very few have won titles in the NCAA and the NFL.

How many have won multiple titles in both?
Just sayin'

If the support of our ownership continues as is, there is no telling what Pete will accomplish with the Seahawks but I for one, like the outlook.

Couldnt agree more. I'm too young to know about the impact that Holmgren had but know he was very respected. Pete is a historical gamechanger.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":37d6o7mw said:
Mike Holmgren made us respectable.

You have no idea how hard it was to get consistent Seahawks news in pre-internet Chicago. If you didn't have a Sporting News subscription or access to cable, you were out of luck. Overnight, Holmgren's signing was on the front page of every sports page in the country. Seattle couldn't make the front pages when they were headed out of town.

The Seahawks hadn't had a winning season in eight years, and they hadn't won a single playoff game in 14 years. Given those numbers, there was no need for national respect. In his first season, Holmgren had a winning record, and although it took him six more years, we not only won a playoff game, but we also made it to the Super Bowl.

For those that suffered through the Flores/Erickson era, Holmgren was manna. No offense meant, but I don't expect newer fans to understand this perspective.

Completely agree with your first statement. He made this team respectable and recognizable. Before he came here, this team was irrelevant. During his time here and after, the Seahawks were a nationally recognized team, imo.

But honestly, my first year of watching the Seahawks was Holmgren's first year (too young to remember or know what footbal was before that point.) So I could be wrong

purpleneer

Reaction score
Northhawk":8b7rf2b5 said:
It took Holmie a while to get us to the SB but I always respected and admired him for getting us there.

I thought he was basically pushed out after they took away his authority over player personnel. Like Pete, he wanted to pick his people for his system but he-who-shall-go-unnamed took it away and started installing his high character, big school approach. Not that Holmie was as successful as Pete but that's what it appeared he wanted.
The success came after he had his GM duties taken. His high draft picks were not good; of his 6 1st-rounders in 4 years, the 2 who succeeded were the most Ruskell-like and a couple of the easiest no-brainers ever. I respect what he did, but I'm not going to act like it was more than it was or that the franchise was as far from doing well as some think.
And he was "pushed" out after making the decision himself and trying to change his mind after plans were made accordingly.

Northhawk

Reaction score
purpleneer":2oth8m7e said:
Northhawk":2oth8m7e said:
It took Holmie a while to get us to the SB but I always respected and admired him for getting us there.

I thought he was basically pushed out after they took away his authority over player personnel. Like Pete, he wanted to pick his people for his system but he-who-shall-go-unnamed took it away and started installing his high character, big school approach. Not that Holmie was as successful as Pete but that's what it appeared he wanted.
The success came after he had his GM duties taken. His high draft picks were not good; of his 6 1st-rounders in 4 years, the 2 who succeeded were the most Ruskell-like and a couple of the easiest no-brainers ever. I respect what he did, but I'm not going to act like it was more than it was or that the franchise was as far from doing well as some think.
And he was "pushed" out after making the decision himself and trying to change his mind after plans were made accordingly.

Ruskell added a few picks but most of the players on that SB team were selected under Holmie's tenure.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Shock2k":3maapjby said:
Chuck Knox, Mike Holmgren and Pete Carroll will be the three most influential coaches in talking about Seahawks historically.

Holmgren was great, he turned a "black hole" of an organization into something that was recognized nationally for the first time. You should never underestimate how that positioned success later on.
I call BS on this point. This team is by no means a continuation of the success Holmgren had. The way the NFL runs, any group that runs a team well will be able to build success. The national recognition he brought didn't last, as even the next playoff team was a joke to the rest the country. Even your "black hole" characterization is a bit strong; Flores was bad and Ericson didn't work out, but there was more mediocrity than suckitude and the best player in franchise history was in place with most of his career ahead of him. The team was ready to do things as soon as Hasselbeck figured things out.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Northhawk":235fh1ue said:
purpleneer":235fh1ue said:
Northhawk":235fh1ue said:

Ruskell added a few picks but most of the players on that SB team were selected under Holmie's tenure.
Actually Holmgren's influence was barely visible on the defense and there were also key guys added by Ferguson. The takeaway is that there is no Super Bowl without Holmgren giving up personnel control.

hangumhi

Reaction score
kidhawk":37meglnd said:
Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but he took us from the doldrums to the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. I'll always respect him for that.

Agree. I love Mike Holmgren. I heard that he wanted to coach the niners but they weren't interested (idiots!). I'm glad he didn't go there because I'd have to hate him then.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
crosfam":16dmuc58 said:
He is great football coach and football mind. Look how many head coaches he has developed, some who made it big some who did not (and are now or were decent coordinators, etc.) Mariucci, Reid, Gruden, Morningwheg, Zorn, Shurmer, Sherman, Rhodes. Would have been a good GM, but Cleveland was a mess. I like Mora, but I think they forced him on Holmgren as a coach in waiting and ushered him out the door. Wish Zorn would be given a chance as an OC somewhere. Great with quarterbacks.

He rebuilt Green Bay and Seattle into winners. He lost SBXL, but I think we won at least four division titles in a row, and went to the playoffs most years of his tenure.

Nothing but respect.

I agree with the statement about Zorn. He was given the OC job in Washington and then bumpt up to Head Coach without a learning curve. He was QBs coach at Boise State for a while before the Qbs coach elsewhere. I still think he has qualities that can be harnessed. Head coach in the future possibly, but an OC...the resume helps.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't appreciate Holmgren likely wasn't a fan during that era.

Yeah, the Seahawks of 1999-2008 weren't the Seahawks they are NOW, but we won the division NFC West 4 times during that period, and the AFC West once....5 division titles under Holmgren is pretty damn good plus another year we got the Wild Card. How many organizations have dominated their division as long as the Seahawks have the NFC West? Perception is everything when it comes to professional sports, we've owned this division since they re-organized the conferences.

firemanseahawk

Reaction score
You can not understand what Mike meant to this franchise unless you where a fan before 1999. For that we forgive you for you question.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":30cyyiiv said:
Anyone who doesn't appreciate Holmgren likely wasn't a fan during that era.

Yeah, the Seahawks of 1999-2008 weren't the Seahawks they are NOW, but we won the division NFC West 4 times during that period, and the AFC West once....5 division titles under Holmgren is pretty damn good plus another year we got the Wild Card. How many organizations have dominated their division as long as the Seahawks have the NFC West? Perception is everything when it comes to professional sports, we've owned this division since they re-organized the conferences.

I assume your comments were directed at me..... Thats not true I was a Seahawk fan since before erickson ... The reason I made this post was to see How people felt about Holmgren... I have my reasons why I have lost some respect for him none of which have any thing to do with his coaching experience in Seattle...

LTH

rideaducati

Reaction score
Loved him his first six years in Seattle. After that, the sun rising was less predictable than his play calling. Ended up hating him his last three years.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
I will forever respect Holmgren just like I will forever respect Matt Hasselbeck.

Also, when they offered Holmgren the position here, it wasn't a favorable one (if i remember correctly). So on with his career. Another thing to add is that Holmgren is still relevant in the Seattle area. I love listening to him on KJR.

kearly

Reaction score
LTH":1zxvf7lg said:
Just curious... Do Seahawk fans have respect for Mike Holmgren? I used to think he was golden... but After he turned down Seattle for more money in cleveland, Not so much...

LTH

That's not what happened. Holmgren was never offered a job after TR was canned. And the year before, he wanted to un-retire but Ruskell rebuffed him.

I have a ton of respect for Mike Holmgren and still think that in many ways he was under-rated. Obviously we are very fortunate to have PC/JS now, a tenure that is far better than Holmgren's ever was.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hangumhi":1805gezp said:
kidhawk":1805gezp said:
Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but he took us from the doldrums to the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. I'll always respect him for that.

Agree. I love Mike Holmgren. I heard that he wanted to coach the niners but they weren't interested (idiots!). I'm glad he didn't go there because I'd have to hate him then.

I would never hire Mike Holmgren in today's NFL. Especially the NFC West.

Tical21

Reaction score
Holmgren could walk in today to any franchise in the NFL and turn them into a winner. I don't know that there is any figure I respect as much as that guy.

Latest posts