Max Unger's Shotgun Snaps

timmat

Reaction score
My tickets are in the South end zone and we have an excellent view from the back angle not usually seen on tv. Has anyone else noticed how consistently errant Unger's snaps are? Many, many times a game, Russell has to make an amazing snag of the sideways snap. Sometimes it's so bad Beast could just catch it like a direct snap. We are much better with Unger in the game, and his work on diagnosing defensive sets is extremely valuable. But in the Panthers game and again today, it seems the rhythm of the play is thrown off by the shotgun snap not being easily handled. It's not as obvious from the TV broadcast angle, but some of the best receptions of the past few games have been Russ on the snap.

That being said, I'm so proud of this team. What a day it was.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yeah lots of talk about it. Horrible today - been bad for at least two seasons. Definitely impacted RW and any RO plays

Bobblehead

Reaction score
He's a bad snapper and the time it takes for Russell to secure the ball because of it, really endangers him.

kf3339

Reaction score
Hard to prepare when he misses so much time from injuries. Hopefully he can use this next two weeks to work on this with RW and at least minimize the mistakes. That at this point is the best we can hope for.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Hmmm, that off to the side snap.

It's not just Unger, and it's not just this season. After the Superb Owl, I went back and watched the last two seasons looking for this. They have been snapping the ball low right with such consistency (even when Unger is not in there) that I am convinced that Wilson does not want the ball coming straight into his body. I think he likes the ball coming off to his right and slightly low.

I am not sure why he wants it this way, but my guess is that it lets him disguise the RO and play action better since the ball is always over to the side like he is going to hand it off.

- bsd RPA