Tackling

Largent80

Reaction score
What has happened to the Seahawks tackling this year?

This has gone on all season, whiffs, tackling high, just bad form overall that have led to many conversions.

It would seem that what worked last year is absent or not being addressed. ?

ManBunts

Reaction score
I had the exact same thoughts. I counted at least 8 times that we had Charles dead to rights, but instead of moving our feet, squaring and wrapping up, we decided to try leaping from 5' away, and he just shook us off. And these were on runs to the outside, nothing we can blame on Mebane's absence.

My question is: Does it feel like without Wagner this defense is a monster without a head? I feel like all the pieces are there, we're getting turnovers finally, tightening up coverage. Losing Mebane hurt of course, but in general, we have a plethora of talent, but it's lacking direction. Really hope Wags is back in full form next week

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ya.. the tackling was horrendous. I noticed quite a few attempts at arm tackling instead of wrapping the player.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Too many players trying to make the big play and not the smart play.

Maybe they're selfish and only care about their own stats, as opposed to helping the team? I have no idea, but it's getting old.

Losing Bane is gonna hurt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
idk man, cause other than Wagner and Mebane, this is 80% of the same starters as last year. Kam's hurt, but what is everyone else's excuse?

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm giving it a slight pass due to life without Mebane. You'd think it shouldn't matter, but it does.

Most of the missed tackles we're at the LOS, where Mebane usually is. I think like all things you get used to playing a certain way. If you're a LB, when Mebane's in there, maybe you usually take a shot at the ball instead of wrapping up, because he's your fail safe.

It's about familiarity.

jblaze

Reaction score
Give some credit to Jamaal Charles. That guy is very shifty and cuts at near full speed. I thought the same thing while watching but after going back through and watching the runs a second time, the guy has incredible lateral quickness and is very quick in the hole.

A lot of the runs he had success on he had a ton of room to work with also. Big holes and cut back lanes were available most of the day.

To me it's a matter of gap integrity and setting the edge and forcing him back inside. We didn't do much of that yesterday.

It is clear, however, we miss Wagner and Mebane greatly. You have to be strong up the middle and we're missing two of our best there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":zhflz7vu said:
I'm giving it a slight pass due to life without Mebane. You'd think it shouldn't matter, but it does.

Most of the missed tackles we're at the LOS, where Mebane usually is. I think like all things you get used to playing a certain way. If you're a LB, when Mebane's in there, maybe you usually take a shot at the ball instead of wrapping up, because he's your fail safe.

It's about familiarity.

Sure some of the interior misses were because the lineman Mebane usually occupied were now free to get to the 2nd level and get to our LB's and safeties.

But that doesn't account for all the other horribly missed tackles. Irvin had more than I could count on the edge, and Earl had at least 2-3, and one really bad missed tackle on one of Charle's long runs.

Bottom line for me is this is still a good defense........maybe not great like last year. But certainly good enough to play better than they did yesterday.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3oxyqpxv said:
idk man, cause other than Wagner and Mebane, this is 80% of the same starters as last year. Kam's hurt, but what is everyone else's excuse?

Kam was back, and the only reason Charles didn't get further on some of his runs. We're also missing Clemons and Red and McDonald. Our line is actually quite different. With Red and Clemons out, Mebane is one of the longest tenured guys there, the new leader.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ManBunts":1y07792d said:
Sgt. Largent":1y07792d said:

Kam was back, and the only reason Charles didn't get further on some of his runs. We're also missing Clemons and Red and McDonald. Our line is actually quite different. With Red and Clemons out, Mebane is one of the longest tenured guys there, the new leader.

That's why I said 80%.

I think what we're seeing is that the LOB isn't the LOB without the guys we had on the D-line last year creating pressure on every play.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Wagner is one of our best tacklers, I sure hope we get him back this week.

Hell Earl had a pretty good game, but he mis tackled on that 40 yard run. Kam is not the Kam of the last 2 years.

Sherman seems to be our best tackler right now. I saw Wright flatfooted when he should have slid left and an easy tackle for loss....whiff.

Just crappy fundamentals, as was pointed out above though, Charles has some moves.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrblitz":1ibmcddk said:
legion of bust?

No, still one of the best defensive backfields in the NFL. But it's clear to see this year that the D-line didn't get enough credit in making the LOB what they were last year.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I really thought KPL was going to shine against a back like Charles. He didn't, unfortunately. Recorded just a single tackle in the game.

And because it's obligatory: Bruce Irvin is atrocious. Just atrocious.

Oh, I almost forgot: Jordan Hill is borderline worthless.

Jeezus I'm glum.

Latest posts