Pete and his staff should go.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawks46":3rlqmhr5 said:
It's really fairly simple. Our identity of this team the last 6 years has been defense. A historically good defense.

The reason those guys were so good were they were young, underpaid, and not respected. They had a chip on their shoulder. Now these guys have gotten paid, are getting older, and don't have that nasty streak they once had.

Look at the Rams and Jags. Full of young, underpaid, and disrespected players. We just need to get back there.

The problem we're going to have is that we have a squad full of elite veterans, some still at the top of their game. We need to add young blood, but young blood that is able to infuse that side of the ball with a nasty attitude.

Chancellor is likely done. Avril looks done. We have some players potentially to replace Avril. We need to draft another Chancellor. Atlanta did it with Neal. It's not impossible. Sherman is up in the air. Achilles aren't what they used to be, and he could potentially come back strong. Griffin on the other side looks like a good find.

We've gone offense heavy the last couple of drafts because we've been sucking on that side of the ball. Our OL looks to be rounding into shape (last game notwithstanding...they handled the Eagles). We have a franchise QB. We have decent WR's. Simply drafting a decent TE and a good young RB and we'll be scoring 25 ppg. So it's time to go defense in the draft again.

I honestly think this year is done. Too many injuries to account for. That's not the coaching staff's fault. They could've done better in some adjustments, but honestly we're missing half of our starters on an elite defense.

I hope we miss the playoffs. I hope it lights a fire in this team for at least one more season.

One does not simply draft a decent TE and good young RB, QED.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1hpka2ay said:
mistaowen":1hpka2ay said:
Pete does seem to be a bit less 'into it' this year but I don't think he's ready to hang it up yet. I really think a shake up at the assistant coaching positions would do wonders for this group. Richard can yell at the players all he wants on the sidelines but blown plays have become more of a norm than usual. There certainly seems to be a resentment towards the coaches on that side of the ball, Earl has made a few comments about reporters needing to 'ask the coaches' on blown coverage's.

Would love to get a guy who takes control of the offense as well, mold an offense to take Russell to the next level. Not sure who that is but year 7-8 of Bevell/Cable is too long and there are plenty of young, creative minds out there to find someone who fits. Offense stinks for 2/3 of every game, unacceptable at this point.

All true, but I don't think Pete has it in him to give up control. Just as Holmgren didn't, and left when Allen made him give up control.

Once coaches have 100% control, it's very rare that they ever give that up. Because they have massive ego's, and Pete at 67 isn't going to change now.

I agree about his ego but Belichick did the same thing when he gave the offensive reigns to Brady and McDaniels. PC and BB are both terrific motivators and defensive minds, BB has accepted McDaniels taking over the offense is for the best. Pair Wilson up with someone who knows how to utilize his unique skillset and really hit his ceiling. Will Pete do the same or trot Bevell/Cable out there next year as yes men with similar results?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3pt65tw9 said:
I don't think we need start running through a bunch of different coaching staffs...i mean, look at all the bad franchises out there...Cincy, SF, CLE. You think blowing up the coaching staff has helped those teams? Continual turnover doesn't beget success.

I think the team needs to get healthy and away from football in the long offseason and refocus.
I have to somewhat agree, though some minor changes Position Coaching might actually rekindle the fire that seems to be going out.
Pete doesn't need to be gone, and anyone calling for his removal are damned idiots, BUT, in my unprofessional opinion, there does need to be some scheme changes, more imaginative Offensive Play-calls, A RUNNINGBACK COACH, and a new O-Line Coach, that knows how to maximize protection of our Franchise Quarterback.
I appreciate Pete wanting to show his support for some of his Coaches getting HC jobs, & position upgrades elsewhere, but there are some, that I feel, if at all possible, SHOULD HAVE BEEN RETAINED.
Now someone back up the hill was actually insinuating that Players are pretty much telling Pete to zip it, and doing what they want to do....NOT TRUE!!
Russell Wilson has NO QUIT in him, and that is actually a good thing, and Pete knows very well, that Wilson has pulled out some astonishing 4th quarter come backs in the past, and EVEN IF PETE KNEW that there was NO CHANCE of a come back win, Russell Wilson has EARNED the right to see the game played out.
Anyone truly BELIEVE that Bill Belicheat would pull Tom Brady AGAINST HIS WISHES?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Have I missed something, or has Richard gotten a total pass by this entire board?

Any NFL team comes into CLink dropping 42 points on this team, and Richard gets a pass? I get that the O didn't do squat, continual punts, short fields, etc. But OMG, you can't scheme up better than that?

In my opinion, Seattle's defense hasn't been the same since Quinn left. Richard can hit the street as far as I'm concerned.

aawolf

Reaction score
I was listening to Colin Cowherd today, and he said that the 2017 Seahawks are like Pete's USC team circa 2009, wherein he lost his Pac 12 dominance with the introduction of Chip Kelly at Oregon and Jim Harbaugh in Stanford. He said, back then, the game passed Pete by and he couldn't do the same things he was used to doing when competing with up-and-comers in the league. I don't think this is necessarily true, but it is true that Pete's "win forever" stick, where players are given freedom to express themselves, can backfire when the inmates start running the asylum. It is a sign of too little discipline when you are the most penalized team in the league.

NJlargent

Reaction score
I keeping logging on hoping to see a thread entitled “all coaches have been fired”.

Carroll has shown nothing in 3 years other than he can win 10 games with a squad any coach should be able to win 10 games with

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":224te5mk said:
Sgt. Largent":224te5mk said:
mistaowen":224te5mk said:
Pete does seem to be a bit less 'into it' this year but I don't think he's ready to hang it up yet. I really think a shake up at the assistant coaching positions would do wonders for this group. Richard can yell at the players all he wants on the sidelines but blown plays have become more of a norm than usual. There certainly seems to be a resentment towards the coaches on that side of the ball, Earl has made a few comments about reporters needing to 'ask the coaches' on blown coverage's.

Would love to get a guy who takes control of the offense as well, mold an offense to take Russell to the next level. Not sure who that is but year 7-8 of Bevell/Cable is too long and there are plenty of young, creative minds out there to find someone who fits. Offense stinks for 2/3 of every game, unacceptable at this point.

All true, but I don't think Pete has it in him to give up control. Just as Holmgren didn't, and left when Allen made him give up control.

Once coaches have 100% control, it's very rare that they ever give that up. Because they have massive ego's, and Pete at 67 isn't going to change now.

I agree about his ego but Belichick did the same thing when he gave the offensive reigns to Brady and McDaniels. PC and BB are both terrific motivators and defensive minds, BB has accepted McDaniels taking over the offense is for the best. Pair Wilson up with someone who knows how to utilize his unique skillset and really hit his ceiling. Will Pete do the same or trot Bevell/Cable out there next year as yes men with similar results?

Well..............so far Pete hasn't fired any coach that I can think of. If they've left, they've left for other jobs or promotions.

So if we're using the "past performance dictates future actions/results" line of thought? No, if Pete stays he's going to draw a line in the sand and refuse to make the necessary coordinator changes.

Even going back to his college days, he's kept things in his own coaching tree. And if Allen forces his hand and tells him that's the only way he stays? Pete walks.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think he needs to go as well. Mostly because I don’t think our offense is going to get better under the current coaching staff.

However we won’t know if he has lost this team until we see how they respond to this loss. If the team continues to do poorly then it’s time to rebuild with new coaches.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3enm0nfj said:
Have I missed something, or has Richard gotten a total pass by this entire board?

Any NFL team comes into CLink dropping 42 points on this team, and Richard gets a pass? I get that the O didn't do squat, continual punts, short fields, etc. But OMG, you can't scheme up better than that?

In my opinion, Seattle's defense hasn't been the same since Quinn left. Richard can hit the street as far as I'm concerned.

Richard is not a good DC, but missing 5 of his best players with multiple others gimpy, with the opponents getting the ball in Seahawks territory on almost every drive. Its a miracle they only gave up 42.

hawker84

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2snxfu5j said:
Gio":2snxfu5j said:
They should go. That was a heartless team. This man has no impact to this team and his football play style is so predictable. Changes should be made , otherwise Allen is fine with this situation.

I understand being emotional. But this is ridiculous. We've had a hell of a run. Father time just finally caught up to us. We'll be a team to reckon with again next year. The Rams and Jags two teams that just beat us. have been utter garbage for the better part of a decade. Sure they're good now but it's been a long long process for them meanwhile we've been to the playoffs how many yrs in a row b4 this yr now?

In my opinion, continuing to keep giving a pass to a coaching staff that has been on the downward spiral since the second SB and has no capability of coming up with a competent game plan on a regular basis is ridiculous to me. We play that team twice a year, every year, and that's the best game plan you can come up with?

Richard is decent coach, not a coordinator
Bevell, what can you say
Cable - again, what can you say, how many dead ball penalties on the O line over the last few years. League leading?
Carroll - it all starts at the top. He teaches no discipline. he seems to still think were the team of 2012 and game plans accordingly. he continues to have faith in Bevell, for whatever reason, we have the worst clock management, the worst time out management, hell RW has been with this coaching staff for 5 years, and they still can't get a play in on time.

Why don't we use screens to the back more: every team blitzes the hell out of us because of our swiss cheese line
why do we continue to use that bubble screen with recievers blocking, it never works
why do we run on every 2nd and long when we have no running game?
why do we have so many penalties every game for the last 3,4 years (league leading)
what's going on with our special teams, dude burnt us over and over again yesterday, yet zero adjustments for that?
why is Carroll playing a clearly hurt Wagner, you telling me a backup couldn't have done as good? even Earl said that.
why is every 3rd down a long developing play or a deep bomb
why does it take so long to get Graham involved

the list goes on and on, year after year after year. i'ts no longer working for whatever reason. If you can't see that, then you aint lookin.

just my two cents

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
The combination of Bev & Cable BOTH being "in charge" of the running game is stupid-IMO, too many cooks spoil the soup. Why have an OC if he only has authority and control over the passing game & has to concede and coordinate
coaching the running game to another coach? Where is the continuity in that? Any other teams have that set up?
I would doubt it.
:smilingalien:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
My my, how quickly they turn.

Can anyone tell me how many SB's the teams that fired Marty Schottenheimer won. You know the guy that could win 10+ games a year but not the big one. Don't bother looking it up. The answer is a big fat Zero.

Everyone think making the playoffs is not enough. Yet making the playoffs is hard. We've seen decade long droughts as Seahawk fans. In an equal world you have a 1/32 chance of winning the SB and 33% chance to make the playoffs. So if you find a front office that can beat those stats consistently, you have a good front office and you shouldn't necessarily change it unless you are damn sure there is someone better available.

Change for the sake of change is rarely for the better and the NFL landscape is littered with teams that moved away from successful coaches only to suck worse.

Pete has earned the right to coach the Seahawks until he wants to retire in my books and I think the Pete haters are just awful human beings. If you were fired after every mistake or down day at the office, you'd think your boss is an awful human being too. Pulling out pitchforks at the first sign of adversity when we have had so many awesome moments in the last 6 years. My word.

That being said, I think Pete and John need to have a big sit down with Paul at the end of the season and really go over, what went wrong, why it went wrong, how to fix it and what changes need to be made. I for one think that relooking at the offensive scheme is number one priority. The ZBS is not producing. The RB's look lost. The passing game is remedial and relying too much on schoolyard off script plays. I also think that the front seven needs a bit of a retooling. We've lost some speed and really could use a disruptive tackle in the Aaron Donald, JJ Watt mode.

So there probably needs to be coaching changes but not at the top IMO. Pete's built a champion before and he can do it again if he really wants to. Now if he doesn't want to, then I guess he's free to leave. But it's time for some criticism of the current program and a harsher look.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3i7f0jm1 said:
That being said, I think Pete and John need to have a big sit down with Paul at the end of the season and really go over, what went wrong, why it went wrong, how to fix it and what changes need to be made .

We all know these are the tough questions that need to be answered.

If you're defending Pete, then answer me this....................do you honestly think he will make the necessary changes? Because there's nothing in his coaching history that says he will. Anytime he's failed, he just moved on with the same people, schemes and philosophies.

Not once has he made wholesale coaching or philosophical scheme changes, and IMO that's what needs to happen.

renofox

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2k7cswwp said:

I don't think Richard gets a pass, but I also don't think he is near the problem that Cabevell is.

The defense did look like crap once the game was out of hand, but please note that they gave up -0- points on drives that started in Ram's territory. That's right - all points given up were on drives that started at midfield or Seahawks territory.

mrt144

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2x42k2jl said:

Can anyone tell me how many SB's the teams that fired Marty Schottenheimer won. You know the guy that could win 10+ games a year but not the big one. Don't bother looking it up. The answer is a big fat Zero.

Everyone think making the playoffs is not enough. Yet making the playoffs is hard. We've seen decade long droughts as Seahawk fans. In an equal world you have a 1/32 chance of winning the SB and 33% chance to make the playoffs. So if you find a front office that can beat those stats consistently, you have a good front office and you shouldn't necessarily change it unless you are damn sure there is someone better available.

Change for the sake of change is rarely for the better and the NFL landscape is littered with teams that moved away from successful coaches only to suck worse.

Pete has earned the right to coach the Seahawks until he wants to retire in my books and I think the Pete haters are just awful human beings. If you were fired after every mistake or down day at the office, you'd think your boss is an awful human being too. Pulling out pitchforks at the first sign of adversity when we have had so many awesome moments in the last 6 years. My word.

That being said, I think Pete and John need to have a big sit down with Paul at the end of the season and really go over, what went wrong, why it went wrong, how to fix it and what changes need to be made. I for one think that relooking at the offensive scheme is number one priority. The ZBS is not producing. The RB's look lost. The passing game is remedial and relying too much on schoolyard off script plays. I also think that the front seven needs a bit of a retooling. We've lost some speed and really could use a disruptive tackle in the Aaron Donald, JJ Watt mode.

So there probably needs to be coaching changes but not at the top IMO. Pete's built a champion before and he can do it again if he really wants to. Now if he doesn't want to, then I guess he's free to leave. But it's time for some criticism of the current program and a harsher look.

If we need a completely disruptive DT, better hope we find one in the draft out of the 1 and maybe 2 available on a good day in the draft. I would love to have that, no doubt. Watts and Donalds are as rare as they are disruptive, which is very.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Carroll, PA and JS should have had a sit down about what really went wrong after we got blown out in the first half of the Carolina game. That game capped off a season where we began to see some "regression." So either they did not have that sit down, or more likely they did, and failed to correct the situation over the next 2 years. I am not saying we needed to win a SB after the Carolina blow out, but we have continued to steadily decline.

A guy whose motto is "always compete" just had his team quit in a huge game at home. It's time to move on.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1eppfvh0 said:

Very well said, Mad Dog. I completely agree.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawks46":1or33ztb said:
It's really fairly simple. Our identity of this team the last 6 years has been defense. A historically good defense.

The reason those guys were so good were they were young, underpaid, and not respected. They had a chip on their shoulder. Now these guys have gotten paid, are getting older, and don't have that nasty streak they once had.

Look at the Rams and Jags. Full of young, underpaid, and disrespected players. We just need to get back there.

The problem we're going to have is that we have a squad full of elite veterans, some still at the top of their game. We need to add young blood, but young blood that is able to infuse that side of the ball with a nasty attitude.

Chancellor is likely done. Avril looks done. We have some players potentially to replace Avril. We need to draft another Chancellor. Atlanta did it with Neal. It's not impossible. Sherman is up in the air. Achilles aren't what they used to be, and he could potentially come back strong. Griffin on the other side looks like a good find.

We've gone offense heavy the last couple of drafts because we've been sucking on that side of the ball. Our OL looks to be rounding into shape (last game notwithstanding...they handled the Eagles). We have a franchise QB. We have decent WR's. Simply drafting a decent TE and a good young RB and we'll be scoring 25 ppg. So it's time to go defense in the draft again.

I honestly think this year is done. Too many injuries to account for. That's not the coaching staff's fault. They could've done better in some adjustments, but honestly we're missing half of our starters on an elite defense.

I hope we miss the playoffs. I hope it lights a fire in this team for at least one more season.

We need a change to the offensive scheme to be around Wilson, be more unpredictable, better route trees, Get a big-fast #1 WR, etc etc. Until this happens the rest will not matter.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
They're 8-6. It's premature to call for anyone's head.

I have seen cracks in the armor over the past couple of years regarding his leadership. A comment from Baldwin here. A couple of Sherman tirades. Bennett being an idiot. It did NOT look like he had their respect when he ran out onto the field against Jacksonville. Maybe that's me reading into things too much. If he really has lost them completely, he has to go. It's pointless to keep a coach in that situation. There are not clear signs of that at this point.

Ultimately, it's his staff and it's his responsibility to make it better. Neither Cable, Bevell ,or Richard are top notch. I think it's stupid for the owner to dictate ultimatums about staff changes. That's the head coach's job. Paul Allen should let him know that things do need to get better next year though and it's on him to improve the coaching.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
No changes necessary. This staff built a winner before and they are the most capable to repeat their magic. I'd like to see Pete completely hand over the keys of the offense to Bevell and let him dial it up unfettered. Instead, he has a governor harnessed by Pete's no-risk approach that's always getting in the way of what we're fully capable of.