Pick #172, 5th Round: DT Jimmy Staten, Middle Tennessee St.

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Timmahawk wrote:DT, needed for depth and competition.

Really? How many DTs does one team need...list of all DTs on the team so far -

Brooks, Michael

DT

6-3

East Carolina

Cherrington , Dewayne

DT

6-3

Mississippi State

Hill, Jordan

DT

6-1

Penn State

McDaniel, Tony

DT

6-7

Tennessee

Mebane, Brandon

DT

6-1

California

Smith, D'Anthony

DT

6-2

Louisiana Tech

Staten, Jimmy

DT

6-3

R

Middle Tennessee St.

Williams, Jesse

DT

6-3

Alabama
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Only eight going into camp? That doesn't sound all that outlandish to me. It's all about the competition.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Seattle also uses 3 DTs at a time on first down. So you're talking about a potential 6 man rotation. 8 DTs in camp sounds about right to me.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Yup, 8 sounds right to me.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Also, he was a team captain, like some of our other picks, that's clearly a trait this FO was looking for...
    2014 Adopt a Rookie: Kevin Norwood
    etanate
    NET Bench Warmer

• From Seattle Times:

Carroll on whether Staten is a 5-technique guy: “We’d like to play him inside, at the 3-technique stuff, and give us some good big-man play there. We think he can play some at the 5-technique as a swing position for him, but we’d like for him to really solidify a spot inside. We’re looking for a big body guy, so that’s why we’re happy to get him.”

“Staten, he was at the Players Association game, and had a really good week of practice, played well in the game. 3-technique, good first step, good hands. Still has a good upside on him. He had a knee injury that he overcame, that he worked through, but he missed a portion of the season, so there was a little chunk there.
    jake206
    NET Rookie

• I like this pick, because going into the draft I felt like the Hawks lacked another 'big' 3-tech in the Tony McDaniel mold....and McDaniel is pushing 30 and on a 2-year deal, which is structured more like a 1-year deal. If you look at our depth chart, the 'ideal' 3-tech's are D'Anthony Smith (6-2) and Michael Brooks (6-2). I consider both Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams better suited to the 1-tech role, and they're 6-1 and 6-3 respectively. I felt we needed another 3-tech with 'length' and a big/tall frame, and if you look at the draft board of those who fit that mold and had draft-able grades, there were only four......Tuitt, Hageman, Staten and DeAndre Coleman.....and Coleman is maxed out and brings injury issues to the table...and is less athletic than Staten. This was a good pick/flier. Was it a bit of a reach in round 5? Yeah, maybe. But if you like the guy (which they obviously did), and he sits well on your board, then you take him. I'm good with this pick. Fits a need, and the value works for me.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• Jimmy Staten was a head scratcher for fans and draft heads, but not NFL teams.
    Teams Staten worked out for :Chargers, Chiefs, Packers, Texans, Eagles, Jaguars, Raiders.

What do those teams have in common? Except for the Jags, who will run a 5 tech 3-4 guy just like we do, they are all 3-4 teams. There were a raft of 3-4 teams selecting in the 4 5th round compensatory picks right after us, and a bunch of 3-4 teams early in the 6th.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

LAMike1
    * NET Sage *

• Finally, here's some tape available...thank you Aimal Arsalla/Draft Breakdown.

I don't see consistent penetration generated from him. Got good penetration at 240, but failed to complete the TFL. Seems to have a hard time disengaging from blocks. Hopefully his other games are better.
    HunnyBadger
    NET Starter

• HunnyBadger wrote:Finally, here's some tape available...thank you Aimal Arsalla/Draft Breakdown.

I don't see consistent penetration generated from him. Got good penetration at 240, but failed to complete the TFL. Seems to have a hard time disengaging from blocks. Hopefully his other games are better.

Thanks for sharing.

If he had consistent penetration we wouldn't be looking at a 5th rounder. There's still some promise in that tape. Admittedly it's not much to go off but as well as throwing his man to the ground a couple of times after the play (nice to see some nastiness) he seems to consistently be the quickest guy off the snap.

Looks big, quick and strong. Excited to see what Quinn can do with him.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

• I saw that video yesterday and frankly it was quite discouraging. Staten has a nice frame, and he's not un-athletic, but he spent a lot of time getting blown off the line (granted a lot of them were double-team blocks) and getting completely turned around. And this was BYU's o-line, not Alabama's. The two key takeaways I got from that video...

1. He needs a lot of coaching on proper hand use and technique.
    2. He needs to add significant core lower body strength.

Fortunately, both can be accomplished.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• Thought this was pretty cool.
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information