Your guess at who Seattle takes at #32

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I could see KB falling to 32 pretty easy and if he does I doubt Pete and company would pass on him.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think they'll take something like Dee Ford out of Auburn and throw us all off... again.

I'm hoping like hell, and I think it should be Jordan Matthews.

Seafan

Reaction score
If there is a player available who can start right away it would behoove the Hawks to take him. I'm thinking RT. Otherwise, trade down.

kearly

Reaction score
I need to study up some more, but I think ASJ is a possibility. ASJ would be perfect for Seattle if he was as good a blocker as he should be at his size. Golden Tate was a terrible blocker at Notre Dame, it took very little time before he became not only a great blocker in Seattle but one that should be feared at times (dirty hits). Willson is developing into a good blocker for his size, McCoy is an inconsistent blocker but I think the jury is still out on him, and our WR group is full of awesome blockers across the board. I'd feel pretty good about Seattle developing ASJ as a blocker. If ASJ wants to get rich, he'll need to get better at blocking, and I personally think he's a smart guy who will be amenable to coaching.

For me, I still really like David Yankey though I now think we might be able to get him potentially as late as our #64 pick. I'm also intrigued by Notre Dame TE Troy Niklas who is pretty freakish in terms of physical talent and I don't think his tape is bad either. Would be a tough call between ASJ and Niklas. I don't get the hype for Amaro, something about him just seems off. Amaro reminds me of Travis Kelce last year. The kind of guy that savvy analytical people love, but for whom my abstract instincts hate.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Nobody talks CB at #32 despite departure of Browner and Thurmond and both our starting CBs in final contract year, but don't discount Kyle Fuller as the pick.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
TheWebHead":qn15ht48 said:
Nobody talks CB at #32 despite departure of Browner and Thurmond and both our starting CBs in final contract year, but don't discount Kyle Fuller as the pick.

I've talked about it. A perfect PC/JS curveball would be a cb. If Jason Verett were to fall to 32 I'd be ecstatic to have him. The more likely option is Bradley Roby though. Small shifty WRs were tough on us last year.

Throwdown

Reaction score
At 32 though??

We got Lane, he's fine cover the slot, also Tharold Simon red shirted this season, but they like him. I could see one taken later, but not at 32, specially when they have had shown no reason to draft one early as pete coaches all these dudes up into solid to possible pro bowl contending players

TheWebHead

Reaction score
With Jason Verrett I'm not sure Pete would want a non every down player at #32 in the slot, as I don't see him putting a 5'9" corner on the outside... yes, they've hit on CBs in the later rounds, but I don't think that can be assumed going forward. An option beyond the first round would be Quinn's knowledge of the Florida CBs in the draft, since the Gators have 3 projected day 2-3 corners in the draft.

Largent80

Reaction score
It may depend on what happens before the draft, but if ASJ is there I think he we may grab him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Look for length, unique size or speed or SPARQ value, and field tilting ability...

These are the names I'd suggest...

Players they'll love who won't be there:

Odell Beckham Jr
Aaron Donald
Mike Evans
Justin Gilbert

Players who might make it:

Kelvin Benjamin
Ra'Shede Hageman
Kony Ealy
Brent Urban
Stephon Tuitt
Marqise Lee
Brandon Coleman
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Ryan Shazier

Wild cards:

Donte Moncrief
Troy Niklas
Keith McGill

drrew

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":klre1xt8 said:
Look for length, unique size or speed or SPARQ value, and field tilting ability...

Odell Beckham Jr
Aaron Donald
Mike Evans
Justin Gilbert

Kelvin Benjamin
Ra'Shede Hageman
Kony Ealy
Brent Urban
Stephon Tuitt
Marqise Lee
Brandon Coleman
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Ryan Shazier

Wild cards:

Donte Moncrief
Troy Niklas
Keith McGill

I would toss Paul Richardson in as a wild card. Doesn't seem to fit, but has game changing skills.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Sua-Filo in the first. In the 2nd you can still get a high end WR like Moncrief or go DL.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they draft an OT. Maybe Kouandijo(assuming he's not JW knee condition hurt) or Moses if he falls to us.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2sfqjnze said:

Odell Beckham Jr
Aaron Donald
Mike Evans
Justin Gilbert

Kelvin Benjamin
Ra'Shede Hageman
Kony Ealy
Brent Urban
Stephon Tuitt
Marqise Lee
Brandon Coleman
Xavier Su'a-Filo
Ryan Shazier

Wild cards:

Donte Moncrief
Troy Niklas
Keith McGill
I don't agree that Donald has no chance of dropping. Yes he put up amazing numbers in college and had a great combine but most draft guys still have him as late first some even early second because of his size and the fact he doesn't really hold up against the run as well as some teams would want.
He is a fit in Chicago and Dallas and I would expect one of those two end up getting him but its not a given either. I would say there is around a 20% chance he falls to us.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Well, I'll start by saying I'm pretty sure I'm going to scratch my head and wonder WTF are we doing with our first pick.

This year, Pete hasn't really given anyone a clue where we're going. Just get better. Everywhere.
I'll give it a go though:

Not considered need picks (sort of like Christine Michael type picks)

1. OBJ - If Tate walks, I think this is the highest percentage prospect hands down. Special. Tate like.

2. Tuitt/Hageman - Getting quality DL in the 20+ range is going to be exceptionally hard in the coming years. I look at Tuitt from 2012 and I'm running to the podium. From what I've heard, Tuitt had conditioning issues related to late injury recovery in 2013. A guy who flashed brilliant talent but his stock is low to understandable conditions. Combine testing indicates to me he's recovered.

3. Justin Gilbert - Quality that is hard to pass up. Although seems like we're really married to developing talent there. We're a smart organization. If we can get first round value consistently out of day 3 dev projects -- I'm guessing that continues.

4. Jimmie Ward - Where would this defense be if Thomas goes down? Ward probably the closest incarnation of Earl

5. Anthony Barr - Not likely to fall. But usually a handful of upper teens to low 20s prospects fall. Barr could be one as he didn't distinguish himself at the combine.

Guys I would see us being interested in

Kelvin Benjamin
ASJ
Jordan Matthews
Martavis Bryant
Antonio Richardson
Morgan Moses
Joel Bitonio
David Yankey
Ja'wuan James
Donte Moncrief
Kyle Fuller

Benjamin/Bryant are the kind of physical freaks. We've opted for that frequently. Although outside of Carpenter -- who really was better than the other guys taken around him -- physical freakishness wasn't the only consideration. Irvin had outstanding production on tape. Even if you look at his tape today, he still stands out even amongst the pass rushers of this class. I see production being a strong component to go along with good/great athleticism.

I still contend, that Jordan Matthews will be the one. For several factors:

1. Production. Not sure we need to debate it.
2. Physical attributes. He has sufficient size (6'3"). Excellent speed (4.4). Good reach. Big hands. Great ball skills. Great flexibility in hips/knees. Outstanding footwork. Very good physicality. Usually, you don't see WRs with all of these attributes at a plus or double plus range.
3. Intelligence and desire. In this category, I'd put him at the top of really everyone on this list. And amongst the top in the entire class. This bodes especially well for a prospect's ability to develop. Jordan Matthews wasn't so good and well rounded as a junior. He had deficiencies to his game. Notably his ability to handle press coverage. Yet in his senior year, he's developed that ability and played predominantly at the X/Split End. He was considered average in strength, but he worked at that and if you saw him at the combine, the dude was incredibly muscular and cut. Tying for the second most in the Bench amongst WRs -- and more than Sefarian-Jenkins.

Honestly, I can't even imagine the leaps and bounds in ability Matthews could achieve, practicing every day across from Richard Sherman. Two players whose attention to detail and ability to incorporate new tricks to their game and evolve their abilities are almost perfectly matched.

We've done the great freak athlete route. But our very best players have all been guys who are smart and hungry while still possessing very good athleticism as opposed to freak athleticism.

Matthews meets all the criteria we love. He doesn't exceed them in size and length. But he's definitely big enough. He exceeds our other criteria by miles.