Your guess at who Seattle takes at #32

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too caught up in the whole 'redline' thing. Not that it isn't critical for us. It is. Any guy we get on the outside is going to have to do that.

But just remember, that the coaches in college aren't designing their offensive systems/game plans around what we do. The knock on Matthews is he doesn't do the things that are our bread and butter. I agree. Does he get his fair share of screens and post/in routes? Sure.

The fact is, that's Vandy's system. It's not unlike a lot of quick strike offenses designed to get the ball out of a QBs hands quickly. Vandy is a team with a distinct deficit of talent relative to it's conference. They have to scheme that way to succeed.

Matthews doesn't show a lot of what we do on tape. You have to determine if he can do it but wasn't asked to. I wouldn't expect Vandy to show any resemblance to our offense in all honesty. They'd get destroyed in the SEC trying to play like that.

If we're talking about ball skills, then Benjamin and Coleman both have no business being in the same conversation as Matthews. Each of these three receivers has drop issues. None of them are particularly adept at fighting for the ball. Matthews has better speed than either and the route running isn't even remotely close.

The real question is however, which of these three guys is likely to continue to add to his game once they are drafted. That's a tougher question. I would lay my money on Matthews with confidence. Because we can clearly see him do that on tape and in his testing. Coleman is a floundering talent who has at worst plateaued if I give him benefit of the doubt via his knee injury. Benjamin is a huge upside prospect who really has no track record for advancing his skills. He's a year and a half older than Matthews who is graduated. But even as a 22 year old redshirt freshman he only managed to ascend to 3rd string SE for FSU.

I definitely get the infatuation with Benjamin as an eye candy prospect. But I'd rather have a guy who impacts games. Benjamin was a classic Ken Phelps type player. A guy who only shined in blowouts. I don't see a guy who has demonstrated an ability to improve. Of the three receivers -- I see Benjamin as the least likely guy to develop. And I think the deficit in this regard is monstrous.

justafan

Reaction score
We do throw across the middle,not enough IMO but we do.Its part of every offense and usually its up to the QB to read where to go with the ball and the WR to read the D and find the opening in the zone..Wilson is more hesitant than some QBs.
But that is really not the important issue because he has the talent to do anything this offense is going to ask of him I think.
Im not pounding the table saying he is a 1st rounder,it would surprise a little if he wasnt there when we pick but basically we have a second round pick.

After thinking about it, the middle of the field is a huge part of the offense.A larger part than the sideline pass if I had to guess at the numbers.Thinking about how we tore the broncos a new one up in the middlle of the field was a thing of beauty.

two dog

Reaction score
Let me climb up on the Jordan Matthews wagon.

Whatever our opinion of players, we are prisoners of our own perception,
which may or may not be correct. I bet almost everyone sees film a little
differently. Most of us have not seen the players discussed in person or talked
to their coaches.

We have all read a great deal of what others have said about a player, so now
our information is diluted a further step. Opinions are just that, some more widely
read, others not so much.

Add to this the talking heads of ESPN and the NFL network talking up their particular
favorites and ignoring other kids who you will hear about on draft day when the Seahawks
draft a player you hardly know, if at all. This is why guys like Steve Largent are
drafted in the 8th round.

penihawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":pmgtv38g said:
I wouldn't get too caught up in the whole 'redline' thing. Not that it isn't critical for us. It is. Any guy we get on the outside is going to have to do that.

But just remember, that the coaches in college aren't designing their offensive systems/game plans around what we do. The knock on Matthews is he doesn't do the things that are our bread and butter. I agree. Does he get his fair share of screens and post/in routes? Sure.

The fact is, that's Vandy's system. It's not unlike a lot of quick strike offenses designed to get the ball out of a QBs hands quickly. Vandy is a team with a distinct deficit of talent relative to it's conference. They have to scheme that way to succeed.

Matthews doesn't show a lot of what we do on tape. You have to determine if he can do it but wasn't asked to. I wouldn't expect Vandy to show any resemblance to our offense in all honesty. They'd get destroyed in the SEC trying to play like that.

If we're talking about ball skills, then Benjamin and Coleman both have no business being in the same conversation as Matthews. Each of these three receivers has drop issues. None of them are particularly adept at fighting for the ball. Matthews has better speed than either and the route running isn't even remotely close.

The real question is however, which of these three guys is likely to continue to add to his game once they are drafted. That's a tougher question. I would lay my money on Matthews with confidence. Because we can clearly see him do that on tape and in his testing. Coleman is a floundering talent who has at worst plateaued if I give him benefit of the doubt via his knee injury. Benjamin is a huge upside prospect who really has no track record for advancing his skills. He's a year and a half older than Matthews who is graduated. But even as a 22 year old redshirt freshman he only managed to ascend to 3rd string SE for FSU.

I definitely get the infatuation with Benjamin as an eye candy prospect. But I'd rather have a guy who impacts games. Benjamin was a classic Ken Phelps type player. A guy who only shined in blowouts. I don't see a guy who has demonstrated an ability to improve. Of the three receivers -- I see Benjamin as the least likely guy to develop. And I think the deficit in this regard is monstrous.

Well said Attyla and I agree 100 % :)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2z8bzol4 said:
Stephon Tuitt. I'm a big fan and this would be my favorite pick.

Yeah, if you look at his 2012 tape, he's a top 15-20 kind of DL talent. This could be a classic case of buying low.

I'd much rather see Tuitt as a hawk than Hageman.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Agreed on Tuit over Hageman. His ability to anchor against double teams is quite impressive.