Not sold on Cyler Miles

kearly

Reaction score
First let me say that Miles has yet to start and finish a game, and given his inexperience, I shouldn't expect him to be at peak performance.

That said, I've noticed all season that Miles has a lot of worrisome warning signs that paint a not-so-bright future, and this game against UCLA only reinforced those worries.

-Lack of arm strength. Miles is an extreme touch passer but not by choice. The way he throws a football is almost a carbon copy of Matt Flynn. It's different from Keith Price who actually has a pretty good arm and can zip it when he wants to. I have yet to see a pass with nice zip from Miles.

-Very poor pocket presence. He just can't feel pressure around him, even when the OL gives him time.

-He holds onto the football too long. Wilson does this too, but has the spidey-sense, great arm, quick feet, and elusiveness to make up for it.

-Inconsistent accuracy.

-Offense seems to always sputter when he's in the game.

There are a few good things about Miles. He's decently big and looks durable. Up until his 2nd interception, he showed good decision making. When running in a straight line, he's a decently fast runner. Probably only 4.7 speed, but still, above average. That's about where the positives end for me.

I think the overall package is a QB who feels like a blend of Matt Flynn and Seneca Wallace. If this guy is the future of Huskies football, I am officially worried. I really hope Sark gives the other two QBs a real shot at competing next Spring.

Again, this isn't about how Miles has performed so far, it's about how his natural talent level is concerning low. If UW wants to go the Colin Kaepernick route at QB, fine. But make sure you have a physical marvel at QB first, and Miles doesn't even come close.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
He had that one deep out to the wide side of the field when Barr was coming in to sack him from behind that was a great throw. An NFL level throw. The rest was pretty meh.

First couple drives it looked like he was thinking too much rather then just playing, which slowed down his decision making. Then on the 2 interceptions looked like he just forgot to think.

Will be interesting to see what he looks like with a whole week of practice with the 1's, if Price can't go next week.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
By NFL throw I would agree, if you define any throw Matt Flynn makes as an NFL throw. Flynn actually has a good deep ball, but it's always of the rainbow variety. I think a lot of people misunderstand arm strength. Being able to throw 60 yards on a rope is cool, but far less valuable than being able to throw 15 yards on a rope. That's because you can air mail deep balls for TDs no problem- deep throws are typically to wide open WRs who beat the defense. That 2nd interception Miles threw was a classic case of where having a plus arm can bail you out of a dicey decision. Basically, he made a Marcus Mariota type decision, but Mariota has an insanely good arm to make those throws work. And Miles arm is about as weak as Mariota's arm is strong.

(That isn't meant as a backhanded compliment to Mariota- if he was in the NFL he'd have one of the 3 best arms in the league- and he's smart enough to use that trait to his advantage.)

HawkWow

Reaction score
In this game, his lack of pocket presence or even his (in)accuracy didn't concern me as much as his apparent lack of arm strength and an exaggerated, over the top, throwing motion.

The first int, I think he had his eyes closed.

So what about this Lindquist kid, anyway?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
The QB I am most curious about is Troy Williams. Of the three QBs, he comes the closest to being another Keith Price.

Video.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sark likes the passing game. Miles will never be a passer with that release. Just ugly. As a former QB, I can't believe Sark will give the keys to a kid who is a subpar passer. I won't judge his pocket presence or accuracy based on his first live bullets against a good front on the road, but that release is just gross. I've always thought based on his pedigree that Williams has the inside track to start next year.

ErikG803

Reaction score
I'm much more interested in seeing what Lindquist could do

dopeboy206

Reaction score
I really liked what I see from him at the army All American bowl. He was MVP of that game.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He's still young and experienced. He seems realllllly young out there though.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Sarkisian liked how Miles commanded the offense and played without hesitation – and how the moment of the game being on the line against a rugged foe wasn’t too big for the heir apparent to Price in 2014.

“I was very impressed,” Sarkisian said. “He didn’t look like a backup in the game to me. He looked like a starter.”

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.db ... =UCLA_Post

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
ErikG803":160al1fe said:

Isn't he supposed to be the most talented out of the upcoming bunch?

I don't follow the Huskies or any team in particular, can someone fill me in?

Have to agree with Kip's OP by the way.

HawkWow

Reaction score
It was very peculiar seeing that #10 jersey without an arm attached to it. HTF was Miles so highly touted with a motion like that? I'd either change his position or pull his scholarship. The kid makes Tebow look Marino.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2prcoge0 said:
ErikG803":2prcoge0 said:

Isn't he supposed to be the most talented out of the upcoming bunch?

I don't follow the Huskies or any team in particular, can someone fill me in?

Have to agree with Kip's OP by the way.

UW has three QBs that were all four star prospects: Miles, Lindquist, and Williams. Supposedly Lindquist struggled in practices during his redshirt season, and is seen as a distant second to Miles. We don't know much about Williams (a true freshman being redshirted this year), though I think his high school "tape" looked the best of the three.