Is Keith Price a starting NFL QB

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Ther are times I think this kid could be a starter and other times I think he'll never see the field. Man, he is pretty darn accurate and sees the field well. Thoughts?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3nu9m2wk said:
Not a strong enough arm either. IMO he can be a ten year backup but will never be a starter.
This. He has to wind up and throw as hard as he can just to complete a 20 yard out.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I would think not...he doesn't seem to do anything extremely well

OP
OP
Chukarhawk

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I don't think arm strength is an issue for him.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I love Keith as a college QB, but he's got no chance in the NFL. His arm strength is just too poor and his downfield accuracy is pretty meh despite good short accuracy. Additionally, the injuries, his size, lack of mobility, tendency to melt in crucial situations...I just can't see an NFL team investing much in him.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Ponder, Mallett, Weeden, many others. Of course he does. He needs protection and good coaching, and he'll do ok.

HawkWow

Reaction score
A whole bunch of truth in this thread...and the reason the OP's question is extremely difficult to answer. But if I had a gun to my head, I'd say there is definitely a team and a place for KP, but a (long term) starting job, I think unlikely. Love the kid and proud he's a Dawg.

Throwdown

Reaction score
More than likely not, but as a system back up I think he could have a decent term in the league.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
As a UW fan I say NO. He doesn't have the consistency, arm, or pocket awareness IMO to be a starting NFL caliber QB. I think he'll bounce around in and out of the league as 3rd QB. CFL is a more likely landing spot IMHO.

kearly

Reaction score
His arm strength is a plus. Like Wilson, he's a touch passer which can deceive. But when he lets it rip, he's got plenty of mustard on it.

I absolutely think he's an NFL QB: for a good football team with outstanding protection. His big flaw is a lack of mental toughness, so put him on the David Carr era Texans and he'd be a hot mess. But give him a moderate or better amount of comfort and I think he's a 90+ passer rating QB in the NFL. Accurate, Smart, Mobile, touch passer with good arm, and perhaps, finally durable.

I think he's a very similar QB to Winston from FSU, just shorter, less talented and less durable. But being 80-90% of Winston makes you a pretty good QB prospect.

That said, his profile seems a bit CFL-like. I thought Case Keenum was a very good QB and was baffled when he went undrafted. I chalked it up to him having a CFL profile, just like the guy I compared him to, Jeff Garcia. Usually those CFL types never even get a chance. Keenum did, and now he's Houston's future. Maybe Price gets a shot, or maybe he gets Darron Thomas'd. I guess we'll see.

Tical21

Reaction score
Beating a dead horse here but I can't see any team willing to rely on him in any capacity. Look at him the wrong way and he starts limping. Love the "Compton Kid", and he is a much better natural passer than Locker, but I don't see it. The hits at the NFL level only become more violent.

kearly

Reaction score
One thing I will say in Price's defense, there are very few lines in the NFL that will get dominated the way UW's line was dominated at times during the Price era. With average protection he's actually a tough QB, I'm not worried about him taking hits so much as I am worried about him hearing footsteps.

FWIW, my guess is that Price will be a 3rd or 4th round pick, backing up a franchise QB somewhere. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he never gets a real chance to start, and I think his lack of intestinal fortitude under extreme duress could cause teams to quit on him quickly if he doesn't play with more courage under fire. The way Price plays sometimes, it's almost like he's been hypnotized to believe he'll burst into flames if tackled- when he loses composure, he completely loses it.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Agree with most comments. If he can show teams that he still has some mobility and accuracy, he can be a back-up QB.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
I can see Keith landing on a practice squad, a project for a team with a mobile QB starting. If he'd start, it would be a situation like what happened with Tuel, multiple QB injuries