Zach Miller Returns

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2yqfcvq7 said:
hawknation2014":2yqfcvq7 said:
I was paying attn at the end of 2012 as well, when he was a valuable offensive weapon in nearly every game despite battling a foot injury. Despite his 5 TDs, he was an awesome light OT this year. Rather see the 2012 version in 2014, if it's ok with you.

I'm not sure what you mean. In 2013, Miller averaged more yards and receptions per game than 2012. He also averaged more yards per reception and scored two more TDs than 2012. He never had more than 30 receiving yards in the final two months of the 2012 season, due in part to the foot injury.

Guys deserve credit when they voluntarily cut their salary in half (from $6 million to $3 million). If he were cut, it would have cost the team $2 million in dead money. Meaning, we would have had to find a TE as capable as Miller on a $1 million a year salary to match this deal. Cheers to Miller for being a true team player.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I like Miller too but let's be honest he did not volunteer to take a pay cut. He took what was offered him by a team that overpaid for a blocking TE to begin with. Plus the guy can contend for another ring and not have to move his family to a new town. Smart man that Miller.

Jville

Reaction score
Fantastic News! :spaz:

The restructure and continued commitment of Zach Miller to Seattle is HUGE.

Zack continues his core role in Seattle's offense ….. both as a player and veteran leader..

The availability of Miller, Willson and McCoy sets the table for the upcoming competition at offensive tackle and search for a starter and backup understudies. Having three legitimate tight ends also facilitates snap management for the purpose of keeping players fresh and healthy thru the year and into the playoffs. Details of Zach's contract incentives should reflect a flexible accommodation for rotation and personnel groupings.

The team can now revisit the option of that #4 hybrid tight end … regardless of the Jermichael Finley outcome. In the background is Cooper Helfet who has demonstrated visible improvement during his two years in Seattle. Travis Beckum, who had some brief success in New York before his injury, offers intrigue as he strives to complete his comeback in Seattle.

Observation: We will continue to read posts from some members who are unable to appreciate or value what they can not see …. namely the blocking game. In particular, much of the fantasy crowd. So continuing to work on those tolerance skills pays dividends.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1m7ve7j1 said:
Lady Talon":1m7ve7j1 said:
hawknation2014":1m7ve7j1 said:
I was paying attn at the end of 2012 as well, when he was a valuable offensive weapon in nearly every game despite battling a foot injury. Despite his 5 TDs, he was an awesome light OT this year. Rather see the 2012 version in 2014, if it's ok with you.

I'm not sure what you mean. In 2013, Miller averaged more yards and receptions per game than 2012. He also averaged more yards per reception and scored two more TDs than 2012. He never had more than 30 receiving yards in the final two months of the 2012 season, due in part to the foot injury.

Guys deserve credit when they voluntarily cut their salary in half (from $6 million to $3 million). If he were cut, it would have cost the team $2 million in dead money. Meaning, we would have had to find a TE as capable as Miller on a $1 million a year salary to match this deal. Cheers to Miller for being a true team player.

You seem to think I hate ZM or something lol. Had high hopes he'd be in the mix in 2013, instead they used him as an offensive tackle and #5b receiver if RW was in sack trouble.

His 2012 season was worse then 2013? Add in the postseason statistics. He went 50 for 586 for 11.7 and 4 TDs compared to 39 for 443 for 11.1 and 5 TDs. Almost 1/4th of those 2013 yards came on 2 catches during blowouts of MN and NO, lol.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Lady Talon":t0e53id0 said:
hawknation2014":t0e53id0 said:
Lady Talon":t0e53id0 said:
hawknation2014":t0e53id0 said:

You seem to think I hate ZM or something lol. Had high hopes he'd be in the mix in 2013, instead they used him as an offensive tackle and #5b receiver if RW was in sack trouble.

His 2012 season was worse then 2013? Add in the postseason statistics. He went 50 for 586 for 11.7 and 4 TDs compared to 39 for 443 for 11.1 and 5 TDs. Almost 1/4th of those 2013 yards came on 2 catches during blowouts of MN and NO, lol.

I don't think you hate him, but I do think you lack gratitude.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
Jville":1svjmdxi said:
Observation: We will continue to read posts from some members who are unable to appreciate or value what they can not see …. namely the blocking game. In particular, much of the fantasy crowd. So continuing to work on those tolerance skills pays dividends.
Yep, the same people that wanted us to trade away our next 2 years of drafts for Jimmy Graham. The same crowd that because Kenny Britt was supposed to be a huge fantasy WR in 2011... somehow means he can be an elite WR today.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
hawknation2014":i6ltzg6g said:
Lady Talon":i6ltzg6g said:
hawknation2014":i6ltzg6g said:
Lady Talon":i6ltzg6g said:

I don't think you hate him, but I do think you lack gratitude.

Holy perspective failure, Batman. It's not as if I was one of the ones saying he's overpaid and a likely cap casualty. LMAO.

I might be sarcastic about his under use, but I'd trade Miller for no one.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I'm wondering if some of the peeps on this board actually pay attention to how the team uses Miller. The Raiders featured him, and he had good numbers with them. Our offense has featured nobody as a pass catcher. When given the opportunity Miller has made some absolutely clutch catches, and most of then had a high degree of difficulty. The state of our OL has necessitated that he block much of the time, but to call him nothing but a 'blocking Tight End' is ridiculous.

dunceface

Reaction score
IT'S MILLER TIME! This is a big relief...he was a player that I felt would negatively affect this offense in a big way had he left so this makes me happy!

Largent80

Reaction score
Zachs loyalty is what I was talking about the other day and was informed by scientists, blazes, and basis to lives that there is no more loyalty, and to that I say, you are full of a tootsie roll that fell out of a labradors ass.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried a magnum ice cream bar? Thoughts?

Hot chicks seem to really like them...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Largent80":26n1y2ao said:
Zachs loyalty is what I was talking about the other day and was informed by scientists, blazes, and basis to lives that there is no more loyalty, and to that I say, you are full of a tootsie roll that fell out of a labradors ass.

Or might also have something to do with a wife, twin girls and loving the area.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
dunceface":253u3r9s said:
IT'S MILLER TIME! This is a big relief...he was a player that I felt would negatively affect this offense in a big way had he left so this makes me happy!

sofia-vergara-miller-lite-ad.jpg

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Im glad we were able to get Miller back at a reasonable price.

Of all the players that have been released or have been in danger of being released due to salary, Miller was going to be the least overpaid in 2014. I was simply hoping to get him back for $5m, so I am pleasantly surprised to see him back for $4m.

We still need to do a lot of work on the OL, but at least we don't have to add TE to the list.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":vax5ujxh said:
I'm wondering if some of the peeps on this board actually pay attention to how the team uses Miller. The Raiders featured him, and he had good numbers with them. Our offense has featured nobody as a pass catcher. When given the opportunity Miller has made some absolutely clutch catches, and most of then had a high degree of difficulty. The state of our OL has necessitated that he block much of the time, but to call him nothing but a 'blocking Tight End' is ridiculous.

I think most people understand that he isn't being used the way he was in OAK, which isn't Zach's fault, but it still created a situation where we were paying him for a more expensive job that we weren't actually having him do.

If a team doesn't use its RB as a receiver ever, it would be foolish to go out and pay one of the best receiving RBs and then never use him for it.

Same with TE. If you aren't going to use someone in the passing game then you shouldn't go out and pay someone top dollar for his pass catching ability.

I don't know if Pete and John originally envisioned using him in the passing game a lot but the OL forced them to scrap that plan, or if the Hawks just went out to get a good player without really knowing what they were going to do with him. Either way, the Hawks never fixed the OL and we haven't used him much in the passing game despite paying him for it.

Now at his lower salary it isn't as much of an issue because he is being paid as a blocking TE who can reliably catch some passes when called upon. His contract now matches his role on the team.