You're Mr Bevell going against the Cards....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1y8o27za said:
I dont think I would mind seeing some trickery plays. For example a lateral back for a flea flicker. That always is good for a long play. A toss to or handoff to our fullback is something we have had good skill with. I know they have seen some of it played during this season, but to bring it back and be successful with it would help our cause. It would show we are not all smashmouth.....even though we are. LOL Go hawks.
P.S. If Haushmoney has a chance to run the ball on a fake punt.....can he??

Did you mean Ryan? Hauschka is the PK but I suppose he could try a fake FG.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
If I were Bevell I'd fire myself. :lol:

1. Run Marshawn.
2. Run screens to beat the blitz.
3. Pass the ball on quick throws and slants.
4. Have Russell run around for 10 seconds and complete a 60 yard pass, behind poor blocking, i.e. robot.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1h4qruv5 said:
Seahawkfan80":1h4qruv5 said:

Hauschka better not even be on the field in a punting situation.

Fire Jon Ryan, use Hauschka in all kicking situations, increase pay at the end of year.
:179422:

chris98251

Reaction score
Roll outs, move the pocket, blitzters are tagetteing an area to get to, moveing the pocket right and or left will slow them way down and they will have to find Wilson, it will also make LB's and secondary players have to honor the possible run of Wilson and should open up spots on the field for quick outs and curls and also the deepball occationally.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MysterMatt":379385se said:
I'd say anything we can do to throw just beyond their run blitzes will be hugely important. I just don't have much confidence in our OL, so to ask it to do too much, to me, is asking for disaster. We'll likely have to do a lot of RO and dink and dunk stuff similar to what San Diego did to us all those weeks ago.

It isn't rocket science, but we gotta figure out how to play matador with that aggressive AZ D.

This. I don 't know if it's Wilson or the WRs, but we need to be better at blitz recognition. It seems like vs. SF (who blitzed a ton more than usual last game) we typically had poor route designs against their called blitzes. AZ loves to blitz, and do it up the middle. They also contain Russ pretty well and don't let him scramble, so we really can't count on that.

Our Te's match up well against thier Lbers. When they start blitzing the middle guys into A gaps for run blitzes, we need to hit them in that vacated spot with at TE. Moeaki and Willson can each out run LBers and make guys miss; it's an automatic 5 yard catch and most likely YAC afterwards.

Same thing with edge blitzers; use a TE or RB to chip said blitzer, then leak them out into the flat. They will probably have a DB assigned to that shallow zone, so as an added wrinkle, have that WR to that side run a curl route, then peel back and crack block the DB. Imagine Michael with a blocker in space and only 1 DB to beat.

I noticed SF and AZ really doesn't respect our PA passing, and all it does is give guys like Britt fits trying to block his guy after a run fake. I'd save PA passes until later in the game, when the run has been established and defenders are a bit more tired.

We can't abandon the run. Even the 2 and 3 yard runs will start to wear AZ down. It happened in the last game. We need to control the ball so we can score in the 2nd half by attrition. I don't see us scoring a lot in the 1st half against a desperate defense in their house. Their defense knows it's on them to win this game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Take the "bubble screen" and rip it out of the playbook. DO NOT USE!!!!!

Go back and read sentence number 1!!!!!! ^^^^

Go back and read sentence number 1!!!!!! ^^^^

No empty sets

Screen passes to Beastmode in the flat.

Don't be afraid to have Russ do some running, he had 70+ yards last time.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":23p0eyxr said:
Roll outs, move the pocket, blitzters are tagetteing an area to get to, moveing the pocket right and or left will slow them way down and they will have to find Wilson, it will also make LB's and secondary players have to honor the possible run of Wilson and should open up spots on the field for quick outs and curls and also the deepball occationally.
I have felt for some time we don't do this often enough. I realize it basically cuts the field in half, but it makes throwing the ball away much easier and reduces the sack possibilities.

drcool

Reaction score
I like that backdoor pitch play they have ran to Marshawn a few times. And the roll out right and throw back to a wide open Marshawn in the left flat works good as well.

But generally speaking if they can run the ball and get the play action game working that should slow down the blitz somewhat.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
pehawk":4fzpz6o7 said:
Seanhawk":4fzpz6o7 said:
Seahawkfan80":4fzpz6o7 said:

Hauschka better not even be on the field in a punting situation.

Where's your imagination, sir?

Wham plays are a definite. I'll always be okay with a 3 and out in the 1st half if the series has at least one wham.
Good call. The size and power of our full back should make this play a staple anyway.

rideaducati

Reaction score
drcool":3nsg8dz5 said:
I like that backdoor pitch play they have ran to Marshawn a few times. And the roll out right and throw back to a wide open Marshawn in the left flat works good as well.

But generally speaking if they can run the ball and get the play action game working that should slow down the blitz somewhat.

Arizona doesn't slow down their blitzing. They blitz over half of their defensive plays.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Something like this

LynchTD.gif

This
iBGsvlWhUzjwV.gif

and this
BlitzBombed

I want to see this early in the game if AZ is dumb enough to bring a cover zero blitz. If we can connect over the top like we did against the Saints, maybe that will make them think twice about sending the house.

- bsd

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Bigskydoc and Hawknation2014 are really, really underrated posters on this board.

Tip of the cap, Sweeties.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Pound the ball with them all.
No punts if ball is spotted on Cards' side of Seahawks 45.
Use option play from week 1 only keep lineman on LOS.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Oh...I took this so so wrong......Look for the running defense and run into it. on third look for the pass defense and pass into it. If that fails..punt to them. :sarcasm_off:

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think your onto something with the roll outs because it can help the running game. The cards are keen to squash the rollouts and crash hard on it with the DE or OLB flying upfield at Wilson. That leaves the weakside open on running plays if the action is similar to roll outs. Lynch is excellent at cutbacks and I expect there will be some lanes there.

I might shorten the distance that lynch lines up in the backfield by a half yard. The quicker you get the ball to him the less chance the cardinals have blasted into the backfield. With how downhill they play you can get chunks of yards on zone plays if their fits aren't right.

In the passing game, the Cards are extremely aggressive and downhill in their coverage. They jump hard on shallow crosses and slants. If the o line can protect, rubs, wheels and slants could be open. Everybody wants to run bunch formations to beat man coverage, but the Cards play tend to play man on guys that come into the area rather than the inside corner covers the inside guy on the bunch, they will pass him off if he goes outside and vice versa.

I'd like to see a tunnel screen, and then a follow up where everyone jumps on the tunnel and the inside receiver who is normally the blocker runs a wheel route. I also like corner routes vs man coverage, so I'd try to hit those too.

What you'll end up seeing from Bevell though is a lot of read option, spread formations with iso routes designed to hit big plays downfield and then tight power running formations with some play action to tight ends.

I know Bevell likes to spread things out so that its easier to detect blitzers because they have to come from further away, and its a decent strategy, so I expect to see some of that.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":18mcy0lz said:
I think your onto something with the roll outs because it can help the running game. The cards are keen to squash the rollouts and crash hard on it with the DE or OLB flying upfield at Wilson. That leaves the weakside open on running plays if the action is similar to roll outs. Lynch is excellent at cutbacks and I expect there will be some lanes there.

I might shorten the distance that lynch lines up in the backfield by a half yard. The quicker you get the ball to him the less chance the cardinals have blasted into the backfield. With how downhill they play you can get chunks of yards on zone plays if their fits aren't right.

In the passing game, the Cards are extremely aggressive and downhill in their coverage. They jump hard on shallow crosses and slants. If the o line can protect, rubs, wheels and slants could be open. Everybody wants to run bunch formations to beat man coverage, but the Cards play tend to play man on guys that come into the area rather than the inside corner covers the inside guy on the bunch, they will pass him off if he goes outside and vice versa.

I'd like to see a tunnel screen, and then a follow up where everyone jumps on the tunnel and the inside receiver who is normally the blocker runs a wheel route. I also like corner routes vs man coverage, so I'd try to hit those too.

What you'll end up seeing from Bevell though is a lot of read option, spread formations with iso routes designed to hit big plays downfield and then tight power running formations with some play action to tight ends.

I know Bevell likes to spread things out so that its easier to detect blitzers because they have to come from further away, and its a decent strategy, so I expect to see some of that.

Can you define tunnel screen?

Brilliant post, thank you!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The thing I don't like about our screens is that in general, outside of the WR screens, we call them only when behind in down or distance.

I would love to see a 1st and 10 screen.

Latest posts