You're Mr Bevell going against the Cards....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3nr9z6un said:
The thing I don't like about our screens is that in general, outside of the WR screens, we call them only when behind in down or distance.

I would love to see a 1st and 10 screen.
That's the biggest problem with a LOT of our play calling on offense; the obviousness of it based on overall situational awareness.

Hell, I would even go so far as to say that there's no such thing as a bad play call, only a bad time for a play call and that EVERY PLAY CALL IN EXISTENCE is subject to being bad based on the overall situational circumstances at the time, should the right (or wrong, as the case may be) conditions arise.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Do I get credit for the "situational awareness" term? I think I was the first to use it within the context of Bevell.

*pehawk high fives himelf.

kearly

Reaction score
This seems like a very obvious game situation for trick plays, not just by Arizona but by Seattle as well. But then again, who does a trick play when everyone is looking for it?

I think we'll see a lot of frustration in this game. Arizona might end up with less than 100 yards of offense, and still be in the game with 4 minutes to go.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
pehawk":wfko31kn said:
Do I get credit for the "situational awareness" term? I think I was the first to use it within the context of Bevell.

*pehawk high fives himelf.
Uh, if you were, I don't recall that. I know I've used it in a negative way toward him at least two years ago. I'm not trying to take credit for it, but since it's pretty obvious that it's his biggest problem, I don't think anyone really deserves credit, to be honest.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Bevell to start the game:

1st Down and 10: Bubble Screen for -1 yards
2nd Down and 11: Beast Mode run for 2 yards
3rd Down and 9: False start -5
3rd Down and 14: Sack -7
4th Down and 21: Punt
Get up and go get beer #2

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":q9ctvlhk said:
Bevell to start the game:

1st Down and 10: Bubble Screen for -1 yards
2nd Down and 11: Beast Mode run for 2 yards
3rd Down and 9: False start -5
3rd Down and 14: Sack -7
4th Down and 21: Punt
Get up and go get beer #2
That could well cover it. Or 1st and 10 could be empty backfield, incomplete pass because RW had to throw it away due to 3 blitzers being right in his face.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Run, Run, pass where the receivers run their routes within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I would run Michael and Lynch in Pro-set multiple times and quick pitch to Michael on the weak side or fake to lynch and quick pass to Michael. He is too explosive to not use at all.

Hit the tight end every chance you get.

Take a chance on a deep ball every once in a while so the defense doesn't cheat up the entire game.

Play action out and up - I would love to see this and I haven't seen it yet this year. All of our receivers seem to jet deep and try to beat corners with the speed they don't have. Get crafty, finish an actual route. Our receivers are piss poor at their route running.

But if I am Bevell, I am going to call long developing plays when our QB doesn't have time to throw. I am going to run multiple empty backfield plays on 2nd and 3rd and short. I am going to have my receivers run deep routes when we need 5 or 6 yards for a first down.

Moreover, when we are up by 10 with 5 minutes to go, I am going to pass every play to stop the clock to give our opponent more time to try to win the game. I am going to put our tight ends in harms way by passing for no apparent reason whatsoever when I should look to run out the clock. If we are going for it on 4th and short, I am going to call a run that ultimately follows the block of our weakest or backup lineman. I am also going to take my time to get the play in so we have 2 or 3 seconds to snap the ball while Wilson stomps to get the ball ultimately resulting in having to take a timeout.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2xcnf3p1 said:
Scottemojo":2xcnf3p1 said:
The thing I don't like about our screens is that in general, outside of the WR screens, we call them only when behind in down or distance.

That's the biggest problem with a LOT of our play calling on offense; the obviousness of it based on overall situational awareness.

Hell, I would even go so far as to say that there's no such thing as a bad play call, only a bad time for a play call and that EVERY PLAY CALL IN EXISTENCE is subject to being bad based on the overall situational circumstances at the time, should the right (or wrong, as the case may be) conditions arise.

This is damn true. He makes Holmgren's playcalling seem unpredictable.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
storm74":3vm9v33i said:
Run, Run, pass where the receivers run their routes within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage.

I would run Michael and Lynch in Pro-set multiple times and quick pitch to Michael on the weak side or fake to lynch and quick pass to Michael. He is too explosive to not use at all.

Hit the tight end every chance you get.

Take a chance on a deep ball every once in a while so the defense doesn't cheat up the entire game.

Play action out and up - I would love to see this and I haven't seen it yet this year. All of our receivers seem to jet deep and try to beat corners with the speed they don't have. Get crafty, finish an actual route. Our receivers are piss poor at their route running.

But if I am Bevell, I am going to call long developing plays when our QB doesn't have time to throw. I am going to run multiple empty backfield plays on 2nd and 3rd and short. I am going to have my receivers run deep routes when we need 5 or 6 yards for a first down.

Moreover, when we are up by 10 with 5 minutes to go, I am going to pass every play to stop the clock to give our opponent more time to try to win the game. I am going to put our tight ends in harms way by passing for no apparent reason whatsoever when I should look to run out the clock. If we are going for it on 4th and short, I am going to call a run that ultimately follows the block of our weakest or backup lineman. I am also going to take my time to get the play in so we have 2 or 3 seconds to snap the ball while Wilson stomps to get the ball ultimately resulting in having to take a timeout.

QFT....in all aspects....You da man. LOL :stirthepot:

rideaducati

Reaction score
seahawk2k":21fk6h2y said:
RolandDeschain":21fk6h2y said:
Scottemojo":21fk6h2y said:

This is damn true. He makes Holmgren's playcalling seem unpredictable.

I'm wrong on about one third of the time calling Bevell's plays and I was NEVER wrong on Holmgren's play calls. Nobody makes Holmgren's playcalling seem unpredictable, which is a reason I think the niners should hire him.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2als6ptw said:
Something like this

LynchTD.gif

This
iBGsvlWhUzjwV.gif

and this
BlitzBombed

I want to see this early in the game if AZ is dumb enough to bring a cover zero blitz. If we can connect over the top like we did against the Saints, maybe that will make them think twice about sending the house.

- bsd

Yep. That misdirection play especially -- getting the defense to flow one way ... and then hitting Lynch or the tight end on the back side going the other way -- I'm a big fan of that one.

The bottom line is Bevell has to scheme for ways to take advantage of an aggressive defense -- all the ways previously mentioned (bubble screens, read option runs with Wilson, quick slants, etc).

Personally, I see Bruce Arians telling his defensive ends to stay home and to not lose contain on Russell Wilson -- to keep him away from the edge, minimize his ability to get loose on those designed runs down the sidelines, and to try to force him inside. They'll stack the box (because they've got the DB's who can really cover) and force Wilson and the offense to beat them down the field. Given that, I'd develop a plan to 4 and 5 yard dink and dunk this Cardinals Defense to death. Tight ends could be especially prominent weapons in this game. We haven't accomplished that very well thus far, but that would be the way I would look to attack this defense on Sunday. Long developing pass plays are flat out not going to be that effective against these guys.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Last game Russell ran on them so they will use a spy this time around. I've asked this before in another thread but no one answered so I'll try again here. Once we I D the spy why can't we have Will Tuk truck him so Russ can run? We have a 280 lb full back. If I was calling the plays I'd start by making use of him.

A

Anonymous

It's all about the TE position.

If we can get the linebackers into coverage with a few tosses to the TE's it will open-up room for the play-action and QB-keepers. We couldn't do that against Philly or the Niners, but it's the only way to go against the Cards and Rams.

Tight Ends will be the key, folks.

Trust the science, again.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2i4c5htd said:

If we can get the linebackers into coverage with a few tosses to the TE's it will open-up room for the play-action and QB-keepers. We couldn't do that against Philly or the Niners, but it's the only way to go against the Cards and Rams.

Hopefully we will have a tight end available to play then. It's got to be difficult to build a game plan around a position group that can't practice much less play.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2bq74xyd said:
HoustonHawk82":2bq74xyd said:

Hopefully we will have a tight end available to play then. It's got to be difficult to build a game plan around a position group that can't practice much less play.
Helfet was a full participant in practice yesterday and Willson has been healthy all year so it'll be fine even if Moeaki can't go.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Seriously? Im Darrell bevell? I have to look in the mirror and see Darrell Bevell?

Does Darrell Bevell own a gun, and if so, where is it?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is literally the ONLY matchup that scares the hell out of me about this game. Our beat up O-line vs. Arizona's front seven.

The way to beat pressure is screens, quick slants and over the top big plays........so my guess is we're going to see quite a bit of that in the first quarter to try and back the blitzing off. If not? Then Russell's gonna get sacked more than seven times this game.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I keep hoping to see the Hawks run this play at some point.

[youtube]gcHO1E7KuQs[/youtube]