You should have killed Seattle while you could, NFL

253hawk

Reaction score
It won't be a meaningless game in AZ. Maybe on the scoreboard or in the seedings, but not emotionally or physically, especially if there's a rematch in the playoffs.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
King Dog":2w1zo7s8 said:
I will be impressed when Palmer wins a playoff game.

Stay tuned.

253hawk":2w1zo7s8 said:
It won't be a meaningless game in AZ. Maybe on the scoreboard or in the seedings, but not emotionally or physically, especially if there's a rematch in the playoffs.

I guess... never looked at it that way. I don't get excited beating a team starting backups and/or a backup QB. Maybe if I won a division title or something under those circumstances I'd feel differently.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
olyfan63":1k0zm0y9 said:
Rob12":1k0zm0y9 said:
But see... I don't know man, you mention that the Vikings and Ravens were beat up, yet you fail to mention the fact that we're without the No. 1 or 2 running back in the league in Marshawn, and arguably the No. 2 TE in the league in Jimmy Graham. And during the Ravens game, Rawls was done after six carries due to a broken ankle, and from that point forward our running game was absolute toast - yet we still put up 35 points behind another phenomenal day from our QB.

It's fair to mention other team's injuries - but acknowledge ours as well. We're not a healthy team - at all - on offense right now. We're bringing in street running backs to fill the gaps. We still have undrafted wide receivers seeing most of the snaps on offense. Play that card all you want, but as far as the injury bug goes, we're just as infected as everyone else.

Fair enough. Good points all.
The biggest difference is we still have our #1 QB in the game and playing at an elite level.
We actually seem to have had a relatively healthy OL much of the season.
I suppose I've just gotten so used to our next man up coming in and lighting it up that I almost take it for granted. Lynch goes down and we bring in Rawls--as Pete would say, are you freakin kiddin me? I'm very sad that Graham went down and won't get to experience this run on the field. Same for PRich, our forgotten WR.

On the other hand...

Hell, I'm excited to see Kevin freakin' Smith get to the big leagues and make catches. I'm excited to see Cooper Helfet get his shot to get snaps again. Damn good *receiving* TE. I'm excited to see street RB Bryce Brown rip off some big runs in a Hawks uniform and show he can hang on to the ball. I'm super excited to see Frank Clark healthy again and terrorizing opposing offenses. I've been excited to see Jeron Johnson get healthy enough to play again. I'm excited to see Deshawn Shead step in and outplay Cary Williams and kick his ass to the curb. I'm excited to see Marcus Burley back on the field. I'm excited to see Cassius Marsh still playing and not on IR this year. Hell, I'm excited about possibly seeing the *other* undrafted wide receiver come up and get his shot, Kasen Williams. I'm excited to see Lynch coming back, healthy, I'm hoping, for the playoffs.

So I'm perhaps guilty as charged of discounting our injuries. Pete and John have spoiled us with "Next Man Up" and the amazing way players step up. It's a beautiful thing.

Uh....When did he come back on the team? Did you mean somebody else?

canfan

Reaction score
AZ_fan":1q4cu5vf said:
DynoHawk":1q4cu5vf said:
You should have killed the Seattle Seahawks while you could, NFL.

The Seahawks on Oct. 18 were defeated at home by the Carolina Panthers after a miraculous comeback from Cam Newton and the Cats. The last-minute loss dropped the Seahawks to 2-4 and the defending NFC champs were reeling.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/12/nfl-week-15-pow ... te-charge/

Thats funny.

What's funny is seeing the media back on the Seahawks bandwagon after hopping off for the first half of the season. Seattle wins over Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Baltimore now have every other NFL story "the Seahawks are a Super Bowl favorite! OMG!"...

The key phrase in the article you linked is "The Seahawks struggled with a front-loaded schedule, but they’re 6-1 since that Carolina loss, and they’re doing things in a different manner than we’ve become accustomed to seeing."

Lets take a closer look...

A 20-3 win over a mediocre SF team
An ugly 13-12 road win over a mediocre Dallas team led by some 4th string QB
A 39-32 loss at home to Arizona
A 29-13 win over a mediocre SF team
A 39-30 win over a Pittsburgh team that torched the D for 500 yards
A 38-7 road win over a Teddy Bridgewater led Vikings team
A 35-6 win over a Baltimore team that had half their starters on IR

The Pittsburgh game aside, are a bunch of wins over mediocre (you can add the Bears and Lions to this list) to average competition supposed to signal to the rest of the NFL that the Seahawks are going to make a 3rd straight Super Bowl? A glance at the schedule reveals wins over mediocre to average teams... with losses to teams that are on the upper end of the standings (Packers, Bengals, Panthers, Cardinals)...

You are what your record says you are?

What does it matter whether or not the media is "back" on the Seahawks bandwagon? There are still plenty of pundits left over for the Bruce Arians Express. Hell, there is enough media left over for 2 or 3 more bandwagons. Also, the last time I checked, the media doesn't take the field on Sundays. With any luck, the Cards and the Seahawks will have one or hopefully 2 more chances to see who is the better team. I expect we will see lots more of you here if the Cards win. Likely won't be a frequent poster if they lose.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
canfan":1xq1m8w7 said:
With any luck, the Cards and the Seahawks will have one or hopefully 2 more chances to see who is the better team. I expect we will see lots more of you here if the Cards win. Likely won't be a frequent poster if they lose.

We know they have 1 more chance although I'm not sure the week 17 matchup will go very far to determining the better team... a Seattle win against backups would be just about as impressive as the 2 wins last season with Palmer on IR. It's unfortunate that the 9-1 to 11-5 collapse happened but it was to be expected. Before I hear "injuries are a part of football" let me hear your opinion on how far Tavaris would take you if anything happened to Wilson.

Anyway, Lets see how the next couple weeks pan out... win or lose though I'd be here. I don't run and hide under a rock when my team loses... no problems with crow.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":u6fuqzqj said:
AZ_fan":u6fuqzqj said:
Ace_Rimmer":u6fuqzqj said:
Of course they abandoned the run in the 2nd half. That's because we stuffed AP, and they had no choice but to open up the pass game because we were already blowing them out.That's what an elite team does!

I'll be more impressed when they do it to an elite QB.

So far the only one they've beat is Ben... and they still got torched for 500 yards.

Unfortunately we have to wait for the playoffs to see if that happens I guess... with Cleveland and St. Louis coming up and a meaningless game in Arizona.[/quote

And you guys got torched by Landry Jones.
Good one.I wondered if he remembered that I hope we face the Cards in the playoffs and beat them hard enough to satisfy his criteria of what a win is supposed be.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
AZ_fan":1nyisuph said:
canfan":1nyisuph said:
With any luck, the Cards and the Seahawks will have one or hopefully 2 more chances to see who is the better team. I expect we will see lots more of you here if the Cards win. Likely won't be a frequent poster if they lose.

We know they have 1 more chance although I'm not sure the week 17 matchup will go very far to determining the better team... a Seattle win against backups would be just about as impressive as the 2 wins last season with Palmer on IR. It's unfortunate that the 9-1 to 11-5 collapse happened but it was to be expected. Before I hear "injuries are a part of football" let me hear your opinion on how far Tavaris would take you if anything happened to Wilson.

Anyway, Lets see how the next couple weeks pan out... win or lose though I'd be here. I don't run and hide under a rock when my team loses... no problems with crow.

Well, we havent lost Wilson but we have lost a top 2 NFL TE, a top 3 NFL running back and the NFL leader in yards per carry in the last few weeks.

All the while playing some of the best football in the NFL since the AZ officiating debacle.

True losing a QB is generally more damaging, but losing Graham, Lynch AND the suddenly explosive Rawls is no picnic.

What Seattle is doing right now (and specifically Wilson) is truly outstanding.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2mrlkeq0 said:
olyfan63":2mrlkeq0 said:
I've been excited to see JEREMY LANE!! get healthy enough to play again. I'm excited to see Deshawn Shead step in and outplay Cary Williams and kick his ass to the curb.
So I'm perhaps guilty as charged of discounting our injuries. Pete and John have spoiled us with "Next Man Up" and the amazing way players step up. It's a beautiful thing.

Damn... I hate it when that happens!! Hey, I got the first 3 letters right!

If Jeremy Lane doesn't get blown up on that INT return, we win SB49. The whole deal just totally sucked. So glad he's back!!

P.S. Here's what ex-Seahawk Jeron Johnson is up to, mostly a bench player for the Redskins.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... ng-safety/

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
AZ_fan":2a5tms3z said:
DynoHawk":2a5tms3z said:
You should have killed the Seattle Seahawks while you could, NFL.

The Seahawks on Oct. 18 were defeated at home by the Carolina Panthers after a miraculous comeback from Cam Newton and the Cats. The last-minute loss dropped the Seahawks to 2-4 and the defending NFC champs were reeling.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/12/nfl-week-15-pow ... te-charge/

Thats funny.

What's funny is seeing the media back on the Seahawks bandwagon after hopping off for the first half of the season. Seattle wins over Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Baltimore now have every other NFL story "the Seahawks are a Super Bowl favorite! OMG!"...

The key phrase in the article you linked is "The Seahawks struggled with a front-loaded schedule, but they’re 6-1 since that Carolina loss, and they’re doing things in a different manner than we’ve become accustomed to seeing."

Lets take a closer look...

A 20-3 win over a mediocre SF team
An ugly 13-12 road win over a mediocre Dallas team led by some 4th string QB
A 39-32 loss at home to Arizona
A 29-13 win over a mediocre SF team
A 39-30 win over a Pittsburgh team that torched the D for 500 yards
A 38-7 road win over a Teddy Bridgewater led Vikings team
A 35-6 win over a Baltimore team that had half their starters on IR

The Pittsburgh game aside, are a bunch of wins over mediocre (you can add the Bears and Lions to this list) to average competition supposed to signal to the rest of the NFL that the Seahawks are going to make a 3rd straight Super Bowl? A glance at the schedule reveals wins over mediocre to average teams... with losses to teams that are on the upper end of the standings (Packers, Bengals, Panthers, Cardinals)...

You are what your record says you are?

The same Bridgewater led team that gave your Tards a fit on TNF? That's what I thought, world beater!

The Outfield

Reaction score
marko358":qbdumo00 said:
AZ_fan":qbdumo00 said:
Of course... history isn't on your side...

...and no team from Arizona has ever won a Super Bowl.

HILARIOUS!! I skimmed through the posts in this thread and this is the best one. :lol:

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
olyfan63":22c2iayi said:
Seahwkgal":22c2iayi said:
olyfan63":22c2iayi said:
I've been excited to see JEREMY LANE!! get healthy enough to play again. I'm excited to see Deshawn Shead step in and outplay Cary Williams and kick his ass to the curb.

Damn... I hate it when that happens!! Hey, I got the first 3 letters right!

If Jeremy Lane doesn't get blown up on that INT return, we win SB49. The whole deal just totally sucked. So glad he's back!!

P.S. Here's what ex-Seahawk Jeron Johnson is up to, mostly a bench player for the Redskins.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/foo ... ng-safety/
Good recoup!! ;)

I totally agree about Lane!! When he went down in that game, I was like "uh oh".

AZ_fan

Reaction score
Hawkpower":13sutkp0 said:
AZ_fan":13sutkp0 said:
canfan":13sutkp0 said:

Well, we havent lost Wilson but we have lost a top 2 NFL TE, a top 3 NFL running back and the NFL leader in yards per carry in the last few weeks.

All the while playing some of the best football in the NFL since the AZ officiating debacle.

True losing a QB is generally more damaging, but losing Graham, Lynch AND the suddenly explosive Rawls is no picnic.

You're right... losing a QB is much more damaging. Yes, you lost Lynch... and he was replaced quite well by Rawls. You can even say Rawls did a better job.

Yes Graham is gone... but come on... it's obvious to me that Seattle is better offensively without Graham. It's Percy Harvin all over again IMHO... just not a good fit.

How the Seattle offense does without both Lynch and Rawls remains to be seen... I don't think Baltimore/Cleveland/St. Louis are a good measuring stick compared to playoff teams.

As far as officiating goes... it's been garbage across the league since week 1. Bogus roughly the passer calls... phantom PI calls like the Dolphins/Ravens game a couple weeks ago (did anyone see the Miami corner fall down right before they called OPI on the Ravens?) LOLOLOL

I predict we see flags on the QB before the 2017 season. NFL officiating has been a complete joke in 2015.

Regarding Wilson... yep... he's looked spectacular these last 4 weeks. Lets see if it continues vs playoff teams.

HawKnPeppa":13sutkp0 said:
The same Bridgewater led team that gave your Tards a fit on TNF? That's what I thought, world beater!

Yep... the same Bridgewater. All I said was Minnesota was an average team and IMHO wins over Pitt in a game that the vaunted Seattle D gave up 500 yards as well as wins over an average Minnesota team and a mediocre Baltimore team aren't indicative that the Seahawks are back to being a Super Bowl caliber football team. Sure the Minnesota game was a great road win... no doubt about that.

I think a Seattle fan earlier in this thread said the same thing?

Oh yeah...

Green Bay lost at home to Detroit
New England lost at home to Philly
Arizona lost at home to St. Louis
Arizona almost lost at home to Minnesota

Forget the "any given sunday"... I think all 3 teams should be written off immediately as pretenders and not contenders... LOL

Hawkpower

Reaction score
AZ_fan":fblv28rl said:
Hawkpower":fblv28rl said:
AZ_fan":fblv28rl said:
canfan":fblv28rl said:

You're right... losing a QB is much more damaging. Yes, you lost Lynch... and he was replaced quite well by Rawls. You can even say Rawls did a better job.

Yes Graham is gone... but come on... it's obvious to me that Seattle is better offensively without Graham. It's Percy Harvin all over again IMHO... just not a good fit.

How the Seattle offense does without both Lynch and Rawls remains to be seen... I don't think Baltimore/Cleveland/St. Louis are a good measuring stick compared to playoff teams.

As far as officiating goes... it's been garbage across the league since week 1. Bogus roughly the passer calls... phantom PI calls like the Dolphins/Ravens game a couple weeks ago (did anyone see the Miami corner fall down right before they called OPI on the Ravens?) LOLOLOL

I predict we see flags on the QB before the 2017 season. NFL officiating has been a complete joke in 2015.

Regarding Wilson... yep... he's looked spectacular these last 4 weeks. Lets see if it continues vs playoff teams.

HawKnPeppa":fblv28rl said:

Yep... the same Bridgewater. All I said was Minnesota was an average team and IMHO wins over Pitt in a game that the vaunted Seattle D gave up 500 yards as well as wins over an average Minnesota team and a mediocre Baltimore team aren't indicative that the Seahawks are back to being a Super Bowl caliber football team. Sure the Minnesota game was a great road win... no doubt about that.

I think a Seattle fan earlier in this thread said the same thing?

Oh yeah...

Green Bay lost at home to Detroit
New England lost at home to Philly
Arizona lost at home to St. Louis
Arizona almost lost at home to Minnesota

Forget the "any given sunday"... I think all 3 teams should be written off immediately as pretenders and not contenders... LOL

Pittsburgh might be the best team in the AFC, if not top 3. They will be in the playoffs.

That win isnt to be sniffed at.

So in the last 3 weeks, we have beat 2 playoff teams. This isnt some mirage against cupcakes my friend.

Not to mention the fact that we have had the lead late in EVERY game we have played this year. 8-5 could easily be 11-2 and you know this.

We have the most talented roster in the league, that is finally playing like it. THAT is why we are considered Super Bowl contenders once again.

Simple as that.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
AZ_fan":1ovpzriv said:
253hawk":1ovpzriv said:
AZ_fan":1ovpzriv said:
Cartire":1ovpzriv said:
So how come you guys struggled so hard again a "Teddy Bridgewater led Vikings team" in your own house?

Probably the same reason you guys should have lost to the Lions at your house.

Any given Sunday...

Except it was a Thursday. So the Vikes not only played in your house, but did so on a short week after suffering their biggest loss by far this season, and lost 3 solid defenders in the process. They were about as vulnerable as you can get.

There's no certainty we'd have lost to Detroit. Even if there's no fumble and Calvin gets the TD, there's still 1:50 on the clock and 2 timeouts.

Yep... Detroit could have won... but they didn't. Minnesota could have won.. but they didn't.

This type of debate never goes anywhere because at the end of the day the score at 00.00 is all that matters.

Kudos to Seattle... as I've already said they look 1000% better than they did the first half of the season. IMHO right now they are reaping the benefits of the easier portion of their schedule making them look better than they really are (see 500 yards given up at home vs Pitt) but of course we won't really know until the playoffs when they face Newton/Palmer/Rodgers instead of Bridgewater and Claussen.

If you took all the games we could have lost and could have won, Seahawks are a 9-4, 10-3 team right now.

Elo Ratings and DVOA agree even before the 4 game win streak of offensive dominency.

Lets say Seahawks win one of those 10 point losses Seahawks had 4th QTR leads in.

Win vs Arizona @ home, loss against GB on the road.

And one of the games Seahawks dominated only for the defense to crumble and allow 17 points for those teams to win.

Win vs Carolina @ Home, loss against Bengals on the road.

Even if they are the other way around, it would have helped with tie-breakers especially if Cards lose against GB.

Then maybe you choose between 1 win vs the Rams or 2 wins vs the Lions and Cowboys.

9-4 Seahawks with losses at GB, Cin, vs Det, and Dal... Would put the Cards at 10-3 with Seahawks 4-0 against the NFC West and the Seahawks only half a game back with 4 to go.

10-3 Seahawks with losses at at Rams, vs Car, vs Cards would still only put Seahawks 1 and half games behind the Cards with 3 to go.

Either way... It really isnt about what could of been... Its really about that if the Seahawks are peaking into an elite passing offense and then return a perhaps rusty, but uber fresh Lynch, and can regain that dominant defensive consistency theyve been trending towards into the post-season.

The Seahawks are good enough to beat anyone anywhere in a fist fight or a shootout and have the talent and experience to do it 4 straight times in the post-season away from Century Link.

Panthers and Cardinals might be on top of the NFC but a Seahawks team rolling on all cylinders is the scariest team in the NFL right now... No matter who've they've beat because its not like they've been outright dominated in thier losses. They've still been one of the most competitive teams in the NFL like theyve been the last 4 and 1/2 years.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
Hawkpower":10nx2vxd said:
Pittsburgh might be the best team in the AFC, if not top 3. They will be in the playoffs.

So in the last 3 weeks, we have beat 2 playoff teams. This isnt some mirage against cupcakes my friend.

Not to mention the fact that we have had the lead late in EVERY game we have played this year. 8-5 could easily be 11-2 and you know this.

We have the most talented roster in the league, that is finally playing like it. THAT is why we are considered Super Bowl contenders once again.

Simple as that.

I agree with everything you said... even the part about being 11-2. No doubt Seattle is a SB contender.

What I don't agree with is every other sports article I read that is crowning the Seahawks as the team nobody wants to play. They've earned it given their performance the last 2 seasons... I get it. Still don't have to agree with it though. It's hard to believe I keep reading all this given the hurdles (3 road games) the Seahawks are facing... it would be much easier to stomach if the Seahawks had stumbled out of the gate at 2-4 and were about to clinch HFA... not a 5th seed.

Yes Pitt could be the best in the AFC...they are actually my sleeper SB pick... and it's still the best win Seattle has all year and they still gave up 500 yards at home.

If they pull off a 125 yard performance like the Baltimore game in the playoffs... I'll be here to say I was wrong.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2d8in1nh said:
Either way... It really isnt about what could of been... Its really about that if the Seahawks are peaking into an elite passing offense and then return a perhaps rusty, but uber fresh Lynch, and can regain that dominant defensive consistency theyve been trending towards into the post-season.

The Seahawks are good enough to beat anyone anywhere in a fist fight or a shootout and have the talent and experience to do it 4 straight times in the post-season away from Century Link.

Panthers and Cardinals might be on top of the NFC but a Seahawks team rolling on all cylinders is the scariest team in the NFL right now... No matter who've they've beat because its not like they've been outright dominated in thier losses. They've still been one of the most competitive teams in the NFL like theyve been the last 4 and 1/2 years.

Yep... I agree... and I think any other NFC playoff team would much rather host the Seahawks than have to travel to CenturyLink.

Sure they are good enough to pull off 3 road wins... history and the odds say they don't... but if they do I'll be here to post that I was wrong while eating my plate of crow.

Polaris

Reaction score
Well you know as well as I do that sports "journalism" is fueled by hype, and the meme that the 'big bad evil Seahawks are baaack" makes for good press.

However, in this case the popular meme happens to be true. Teams *don't* want to play Seattle. Look at DVOA and adjusted DVOA and you quickly see why. Seattle is one of three teams that is white hot (on the road as well as at home) that is destroying everyone even AFTER opponent adjustments while other teams are fading (yes even the Cards are fading....Cards are still winning, but they aren't nearly as scary right now as they were a month ago). The other two teams besides Seattle that are white hot are Pittsburgh and KC.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
Polaris":31wrd7uo said:
Well you know as well as I do that sports "journalism" is fueled by hype, and the meme that the 'big bad evil Seahawks are baaack" makes for good press.

However, in this case the popular meme happens to be true. Teams *don't* want to play Seattle. Look at DVOA and adjusted DVOA and you quickly see why. Seattle is one of three teams that is white hot (on the road as well as at home) that is destroying everyone even AFTER opponent adjustments while other teams are fading (yes even the Cards are fading....Cards are still winning, but they aren't nearly as scary right now as they were a month ago). The other two teams besides Seattle that are white hot are Pittsburgh and KC.

Agree on all points. Good post.

Nothing that I am afraid of though... it doesn't get any better than a home playoff game.

Polaris

Reaction score
AZ_fan":r6ywvmme said:
Pandion Haliaetus":r6ywvmme said:

Yep... I agree... and I think any other NFC playoff team would much rather host the Seahawks than have to travel to CenturyLink.

Sure they are good enough to pull off 3 road wins... history and the odds say they don't... but if they do I'll be here to post that I was wrong while eating my plate of crow.

Well the beauty of it is we'll soon see. I remember the 2011 Giants who were the #6 seed as I remember. They won it all because they got hot late. Same goes for the 2005 Steelers. Honestly I think Seattle this year when compared with the field is at least as strong as either of those teams were when compared with the NFL in those years. That's no guarantee of course, but it's a lot better than I would have expected a month ago.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
AZ_fan":2iphh0la said:
Hawkpower":2iphh0la said:

Simple as that.

I agree with everything you said... even the part about being 11-2. No doubt Seattle is a SB contender.

What I don't agree with is every other sports article I read that is crowning the Seahawks as the team nobody wants to play. They've earned it given their performance the last 2 seasons... I get it. Still don't have to agree with it though. It's hard to believe I keep reading all this given the hurdles (3 road games) the Seahawks are facing... it would be much easier to stomach if the Seahawks had stumbled out of the gate at 2-4 and were about to clinch HFA... not a 5th seed.

Yes Pitt could be the best in the AFC...they are actually my sleeper SB pick... and it's still the best win Seattle has all year and they still gave up 500 yards at home.

If they pull off a 125 yard performance like the Baltimore game in the playoffs... I'll be here to say I was wrong.

They are crowned the team "nobody wants to play" because-

A. They are an unusual low seed that is better than many of the seeds above them
B. They are the most talented team in the NFC coming off two straight Super Bowls, but will be playing the role of "spoiler" again because of their seed.
C. They are clicking and playing better than anyone (other than Carolina) in the NFC right now.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Latest posts