You Decide: Who To Root For On My Summer Vacation

SF49r

Reaction score
Well if the niners somehow become good under Chip Kelly (which i doubt) you cannot come back :lol:

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeye rooting for the Ravens would be like one of us rooting for the Steelers. Who roots for the team that beat you in the Super Bowl?

I'd go with your favorite AFC coach, popeye. If it's a coach that's pushing you away from your beloved 49ers, then you should support a coach that you like.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
My rooting interests go like this: Any team in the same division as the Pats or Broncos.
Any team with coaches I admire.

I love Rex. He is the dumb version of Tomlin. A cartoon. So I watch the Bills almost every week. I also had a thing for Grossman, so maybe I just have a Rex issue. But for pure entertainment, it is the Bills.

I know they made the playoffs, but Zimmer is awesome.

And if not making the playoffs is a prerequisite, I really like Todd Bowles. Jets love to run, play good D, and Brandon Marshall has become one of my favorites.

The Bears. THe QB is a tool, and the HC is a cheeseburger away from beating Arians to a midgame exit of this thing we call life, but somehow I just can't let go of liking the Bears when I know the Pack hates them so much.

Sidepoint, Should Arians (and I really like the guy) exit this planet from a stroke, I really, truly want it to be during a Hawks game. There is no amount of smack talk a Cards fan could ever deliver, no matter how good they were, that would top, yeah, but we stroked out your coach.

Happy hunting, Popeye. If I knew the hiring of Chip was such a crappy thing for you, I would have rooted for it even more.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Popeyejones":34p520qx said:
As I said last week, I'll always be a 9ers fan but refuse to root for Chip Kelly. So, as long as he's their coach. I need a team to root for on my summer vacation. Wanna help me decide my interim team?

Rules:

1) Strong preference for an AFC team so as not conflict with my usual fandom while on vacation.
2) No bandwagons: Strong preference for a team that didn't make the playoffs this year.
3) The team doesn't have to be good, but there has to be something to like them or something to root for.

I'm going to suggest a different sort of team than previous posters.

The Seahawks. And here's why:

1) They were an AFC team for decades. And keeping it in the division gives you an added advantage of not having to learn three new division rivals. I mean, who wants to try and sound like you're not a bandwagoner when you don't know the division well?
2) The "no bandwagons" thing is kind of tough, but as the Seahawks weren't expected to make the playoffs this year, you might be safe. And they've been a disrespected, dismissed team for so long, it seems natural. Besides, a cheap Tatupu jersey on EBay ruins the "bandwagon" image.
3) The team isn't always good, but there are 53 reasons to like them and root for them. Plus the fact that the coach and several key players have ties to the Bay Area. And much of the fanbase has a built-in natural rivalry with Chip Kelly already.

Plus, you've already established a record posting here on this fan site, so you've got that going for you.

:2:

rideaducati

Reaction score
I'll be rooting for more niner fans to leave.

I would think this question should be posed on all sites of teams in the running...they might not want you.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Maulbert":3j62ojpn said:
Scottemojo":3j62ojpn said:
I love Rex. He is the dumb version of Tomlin. A cartoon. So I watch the Bills almost every week. I also had a thing for Grossman, so maybe I just have a Rex issue.

So how do you feel about our ex-resident doofus, Rex?
2 out of 3 ain't bad?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Scottemojo":10xor0lo said:
Maulbert":10xor0lo said:
Scottemojo":10xor0lo said:
I love Rex. He is the dumb version of Tomlin. A cartoon. So I watch the Bills almost every week. I also had a thing for Grossman, so maybe I just have a Rex issue.

So how do you feel about our ex-resident doofus, Rex?
2 out of 3 ain't bad?

:0190l: :0190l: :0190l: :0190l:

retro74

Reaction score
Bengals - despite them making the play offs no one is jumping on that bandwagon at the moment

Strong links with the Niners too and the fact that you beat them in 2 Super Bowls means that they'll always be second to your first team

ivotuk

Reaction score
Laloosh":156jt50g said:
Popeye rooting for the Ravens would be like one of us rooting for the Steelers. Who roots for the team that cheats you in the Super Bowl?

I'd go with your favorite AFC coach, popeye. If it's a coach that's pushing you away from your beloved 49ers, then you should support a coach that you like.

FIFY

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I think becoming a Rams fan for a year would be the epitome of voicing your displeasure with the Niners hiring Kelly...

SF/LA rivalry - it's back. And we'll probably be playing in week 1 on Monday Night Football - if you rooted for your rival, it would make a strong statement.

We've been terrible for a while.

We will likely go back to our old colors, and if we do it will remind you of how you beat us 17 straight times in the 90s....which was probably fun for you...

We've got two generational talents, both young, and both seem like genuinely good people.

Just kidding - I wouldn't want a Niner fan! :D

IndyHawk

Reaction score
In reading I'm seeing most of you have 2nd teams that are in the AFC so I'm not alone when I say pick the Colts!We got Frank Gore so you can enjoy at least that,the others can't match up.

getnasty

Reaction score
Root for the Niners, that's your team, that's who you should root for. If you decide not to then go Jags or Texans. Got to love DeAndre Hopkins and Allen Robinson

rlkats

Reaction score
God I hope the niners actually turn out to be good (not that I expect them to) because when you try to fall back on them I will remind you of this day.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I don't quite get this. I know people have "2nd" favorite teams and all that. I've tried, at times. I can root for teams when the Seahawks are not playing, but not with the passion I have for my team.

The team is bigger than any one guy. Whether you don't like the Owner, GM, any of the coaches, a certain player... we all perhaps have that in common at times. But, if it's your team... it's your team. Meaning, you couldn't quit them if you tried. (I know you're calling it a "vacation" - lol - which is perhaps somewhat comprehensible.) But, if you can root for another team on what you're calling a vacation, I sort of wonder how you define being a fan. (I know there's various opinions on all this even here on this board.)

Could pick any online definition of a fan.
A fan, or fanatic, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something or somebody, such as a band, a sports team, a genre, a book, a movie or an entertainer. Collectively, the fans of a particular object or person constitute its fanbase or fandom.

Maybe there should be a "loyal" fan definition? The key term seems to be "devoted" - yeah, devoted until....

I really mean no disrespect here to you, Popeye. I'm just having more of an issue with the principle of the thing, while understanding your disgust.

I guess there's no standard definition of a fan. But, in my book... are you a 49ers fan or not? If so, the Chip Kelly years should not be enough to ruin that. Coaches and players come and go (except those who are immortalized), but fans are the constant. :Dunno:

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I don't really get the point of having a second team. Either stick with your team or leave it altogether and get a new team to root for.

pehawk

Reaction score
Todd Bowles turned Erica Decker into Eric Decker. He actually won with a post op. I love me Bowles. And you should too.

Join the Jets train Popeye...we can text n shit...talking about Forte's grumpiness and Mangold's mullet. I can sit on your shoulders and we can lead J-E-T-S chants (with Barter Town references). It'll be awesome. I'm like a non passive-aggressive, male version of Marvin, we'll click.

XOXO

Gaston Green