Yes it's game 3, but should PC pull the starters in GB

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1y2kl23u said:
I think some of our depth players, like McGrath and Willson, need Wilson to play as much as possible. I don't see any way offensive rhythm carries over from the 3rd PS game to the first real game, so to me Wilson does not need the reps. It isn't like he is going to have his real offense out there, no Sid, no Zach most likely. But for the sake of these guys who need the experience, I want Starters out there as much as possible, 2 quarters, and the first series after halftime.

Stephen Williams hasn't caught a pass from Wilson yet, either.

seedhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":gqa2evk3 said:
seedhawk":gqa2evk3 said:
Plainly and simply, most NFL teams keep things vanilla, (simple), in preseason, to EVALUATE PLAYERS.

I think this is dumb, antiquated thinking. (I'm referring to the majority of NFL head coaches, not you; no personal insult, there.)

How are you supposed to evaluate a player fully and properly if you're not doing what you would NORMALLY do in the regular season? Do you test a math whiz with basic algebra when they would only ever be called upon to do advanced algebra and calculus if you make them a starter? Kind of an awkward analogy, but I think it fits. How can you kick the tires on a vehicle if you keep it going straight on a flat highway at 55 miles per hour, rather than racing that beast as fast as you can around sharp corners and such? Ok, enough with the analogies, but I think I have gotten my point across. I don't get this whole "vanilla preseason" mindset in the NFL, I really don't. We sit here and watch some people skate by on athleticism or whatever in the preseason and have a monster showing, only to watch them be perennially worthless in the regular season.

While you may think it is antiquated, get down to basics, and football is still all about can you beat the guy lined up against you. Our O-line for example goes against Mebane, Bryant, etc etc every day. As a defender you learn your opposite's tendencies and nuances early. However, the guy on the other team does things just a bit differently. That is why preseason is vanilla! All coaches wanna see whop can beat whom 1 on 1. If indeed you can win the 1 on 1, they can scheme to make you even better.

It seems to me that teams would benefit their own depth charts more by playing like it's the regular season. Maybe someone like Kearly, Scotte, or English can correct me here if I'm wrong, and why?

I think a fair part of our awesome depth that we are building up is due to playing in the preseason like it matters. We evaluate our own guys better that way.