WR Jermaine Kearse re-signs with Seahawks 3yrs/13.5m

mikeak

Reaction score
1) $4.5M (if evenly split which it probably isn't) is 3% of the cap space. I am ok with this

2) The value in a good solid 3 receiver core with a huge upside if Richardson can stay healthy is great

Now hat is taken care of. Between RW, Baldwin, Lockett, Kearse,Richardson, Graham and Rawls the starters on offense are all set. Basically just need a backup RB (Michael to be signed). We are not spending big money in those players UNLIKE the rest of the league yet they are right up there.

Now go into the draft and focus on OL and pass rush. That's it. You can basically spend the whole draft on those and hope to hit a few. Maybe we also manage to get a few FA signings over the next week but the focus can now be 100% on the lines

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A year ago, I would have been annoyed by this, even after the clutch plays. But in 2015, Kearse really found himself a nice niche as a short-yardage option in Bevell's new system. You need one of those guys for the spread to really work.

Ozzy

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3ueks02y said:
austinslater25":3ueks02y said:
People quickly forget that Richardson beat out Kearse his rookie year late in the year.

Kearse played vastly better this past year in my opinion, I still think it's possible we slightly overpaid for him and that money would of been better spent elsewhere.
You can't forget what didn't happen. Richardson earned some reps. He didn't beat out anyone on the roster. There's a huge difference.
He was out snapping and and producing Kearse for a significant stretch as the season went on. Not sure what else you would call it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
McGruff":3upjvkg0 said:
Vin and kearly just aced this thread. GREAT job you two.
Vin did by saying Richardson wasn't out producing Richardson even tho that's false? How many teams pay their 3/4 wr 4+ a year? It's not that common and with money being needed to improve the line it's a valid concern regardless of how much people like Kearse. It could be a great deal depending on how the money is spread out but its fair to wonder at this point.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":22w6elrd said:
fridayfrenzy":22w6elrd said:
This is a pitiful signing IMO.

I was excited to move on without Kearse.

Ya im not excited about getting potentially the best playoff WR this franchise has had either....If you dont believe me look it up. Kearse is our best WR in postseason history IMO. Although you could make a case for Baldwin I guess but Kearse has had way larger moments IMO. Kearse belongs in that conversation.

He has 6 games started 28 catches 471 yards and 6TD

Baldwin has 8 games started 518 yards and 4TD

Largent had 7 games with 434 yards and 4TD

Darrell Jackson had 6 games started with 503 yards and 3TD
He is a good postseason WR? That's your argument? Come on now.

It was a poor signing because there are much bigger needs on the team than paying for a 3rd/4th WR. It doesn't matter how many WRs you have in a spread offense if the QB is laying flat on his back in 1.2 seconds. It is cap space that should have been used elsewhere.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Im sure all of you who dont like this deal or dont like Kearse cheered so loud when this guy did this to send us to the superbowl..

seaaa.0.gif

Or this in the championship game with about 13 minutes to go for the go ahead points to go on to WIN the superbowl

FreePlayTD

Or idk..THIS in the superbowl was pretty legit

He JUST turned 26 and is that big play WR we need, especially in the playoffs. 4 or so million a year is a good deal to keep a WR Wilson has had success with

Its not like we are paying a bunch for WR right now. COMBINED we are only paying out 11million or so i believe and one of the lowest in the league in spending on WR.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
While I'm not particularly big on Kearse, Seattle needed an X receiver one way or another. Whoever they brought in would have to be ready to play 80-90% of the snaps. Lockett and Richardson can rotate into that spot fine, but neither is a guy you want to see getting jammed all game long. They're better in motion and off the line of scrimmage. Also, if you want explosive runs, you probably don't want three tiny receivers and Jimmy Graham blocking downfield. Consider how much of a factor guys like Fitzgerald and Floyd bring to Arizona's running game. It's huge. Kasen and Kevin have potential, but we don't know that they're ready to be THAT guy on a consistent basis.

This may have been inevitable as soon as Rishard Matthews got priced out. No other decent options as a potential X, really, which is kind of unfortunate. Just hope this doesn't ultimately cost us Okung.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I am late to the party but I think this is great news.

I think people overestimate how hard it is to develop receivers within an offensive system and develop chemistry with the QB. I felt without Kearse we would actually be a bit thin at receiver and much more dependent on Jimmy graham's return.

Furthermore, I think people underestimate how good Kearse is. He is very efficient and the perfect style of receiver for our style of offense as he does the most with his touches: he doesn't drop many, knows the scramble drill, has decent YAC ability and can block.

He is basically the anti-Percy Harvin. You don't have to feed him and he just balls out.

I think the price is fine and is well worth it.

Lastly, we are a run-first team and already have Graham and Baldwin - why would we spend any more than this on a WR2.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
austinslater25":26oj0i87 said:
McGruff":26oj0i87 said:
Vin and kearly just aced this thread. GREAT job you two.
Vin did by saying Richardson wasn't out producing Richardson even tho that's false? How many teams pay their 3/4 wr 4+ a year? It's not that common and with money being needed to improve the line it's a valid concern regardless of how much people like Kearse. It could be a great deal depending on how the money is spread out but its fair to wonder at this point.

Ya but we are paying our #1 around 4 million as well, and the #2 is on a rookie contract. Its not like we have $10 million invested in one guy like, for example, the Vikings had in Wallace last year as a free agent they picked up who didnt work out at all.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Richardson didn't really have anything before week 7 so we won't really count Kearse's numbers before then, which wasn't much.

Kearse didn't play week 17 in 2014 and also didn't play much in week 16 because it was a blowout. We'll still count week 16 and just as a reference, Richardson had 5 catches in week 17 when Kearse didn't play.

Richardson = 23 catches 204 yards 1 touchdown 1 fumble
Kearse = 27 catches 369 yards no touchdowns or fumbles

That's 2014 weeks 7 (where Richardson saw his first action and had 4 catches) through week 16 (which Kearse hardly played and had 1 catch for 8 yards in a blowout).

We know what happened in the playoffs regardless of whether who agrees what was a drop or not and if he's responsible for throwing into triple coverage. He had some bad plays amidst the historical ones, no question.

I'm sure there was a stretch where Richardson had more snaps than Kearse. Richardson has a unique skillset. He's got great strait line speed while still having some really good quickness. Whether he'll ever be able to stay healthy with that frame of his or if he'll have enough strength to hold the vertical line on the sideline on a consistent basis remains to be seen, but there's some things there that you might want to utilize for sure. What he is in the future remains to be seen really even given expectations of how he'll hold up with the frame he has, but Kearse has gone from UDFA to surpassing high draft status regardless of who, what, why, when or where.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Also I want to add...in comparrison to Richardson

Richardson was coming along ok, but who knows how effective he will be or how injury prone he will be in the future.

In 2 years of being in the NFL he has 30 catches, 311 yards and 1TD. Not like he lit the world on fire his rookie year

Kearse has done WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than Richardson for the Seahawks

Hendo66

Reaction score
P Rich is always hurt and No E is small and takes a lot of hits being the Special Team Ace. This move is not a bad thing. As stated , the draft is now wide open.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Summary of my point: it's tough enough to be physical in spread. But if you're spread AND all your receivers are tiny little finesse guys and your TE can't block, you're really setting yourself up to get punched in the mouth.

That's why I don't think a Baldwin/Lockett/Richardson/Graham receiving unit is a workable base solution. Mix everyone in, fine, but you need at least one guy who can punch back, if not more.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":15a1kb45 said:
While I'm not particularly big on Kearse, Seattle needed an X receiver one way or another. Whoever they brought in would have to be ready to play 80-90% of the snaps. Lockett and Richardson can rotate into that spot fine, but neither is a guy you want to see getting jammed all game long. They're better in motion and off the line of scrimmage. Also, if you want explosive runs, you probably don't want three tiny receivers and Jimmy Graham blocking downfield. Consider how much of a factor guys like Fitzgerald and Floyd bring to Arizona's running game. It's huge. Kasen and Kevin have potential, but we don't know that they're ready to be THAT guy on a consistent basis.

This may have been inevitable as soon as Rishard Matthews got priced out. No other decent options as a potential X, really.
Very nice post. What I was referring to in skill set is somewhere in the same line as this.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
DavidSeven":53f3xw75 said:
Summary of my point: it's tough enough to be physical in spread. But if you're spread AND all your receivers are tiny little finesse guys and your TE can't block, you're really setting yourself up to get punched in the mouth.

That's why I don't think a Baldwin/Lockett/Richardson/Graham receiving unit is a workable base solution. Mix everyone in, fine, but you need at least one guy who can punch back, if not more.
Again, very nice post. Like in Basketball, a lot of fans really want that fast paced, high flying, almost impatient kind of entertainment, but you just can't stray from balance in football. Too much finesse and you're not tough enough. Not enough grace and you're mechanical and stupid.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Also a WR similar to kearse statwise for his career (regular season only, not postseason, kearse blows him out of the water in the playoffs) is Mohamed Sanu who just signed

His contract?

5 years 32million dollars with 14 million fully guaranteed.......

For a guy who is 26 like kearse, hasnt done anything in the playoffs and actually was worse last year then the year before it whereas Kearse just got better. Sanu had less than 400 yards and 0TD. Oh ya and that year before Sanu led the league in dropped passes

Signing Kearse is a steal compared to what the Falcons did for Sanu

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":10czxzmx said:
A year ago, I would have been annoyed by this, even after the clutch plays. But in 2015, Kearse really found himself a nice niche as a short-yardage option in Bevell's new system. You need one of those guys for the spread to really work.
People keep talking about this spread.

I have no confidence that we are going to suddenly do it and damn the power running game that Pete loves. He loves physical football, the spread isn't that. I don't think a few games of production will force Pete to change his philosophy. When we couldn't run the ball with Tavaris a few years ago he went shot gun, hurry up. That worked well but he didn't stick with it.

I just need to see more before I think this team is suddenly different in philosophy than the smash mouth running team we have had.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like it.

For one reason. They will not want to keep Lockett off the field. And Kearse and Baldwin will make enough that they won't be off the field much either.

So, with Graham, we should see lots of 3 WR 1TE sets, and that tight end is a WR for the most part. With Rawls dotting the backfield as the single back.

I like that as a Seattle staple.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
We need to extend Doug now. I don't expect him to replicate last years feats but with the way the cap's growing, what it would cost to keep a 1000+ yard 14TD Doug Baldwin this year will probably be comparable to an 800 yard 8TD version next year, plus an extension gives us flexibility. Get er done!