WR Jermaine Kearse re-signs with Seahawks 3yrs/13.5m

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":21jkt9lr said:
austinslater25":21jkt9lr said:
Hasselbeck":21jkt9lr said:
austinslater25":21jkt9lr said:
Good for Kearse but not excited at all about the numbers. Healthy Richardson probably beats him out and you're stuck paying what could be your 5th option in the passing game over 4 million a year. Just seemed like the easiest guy to replace at a much lower cost and use the money elsewhere.

Healthy Richardson may not exist

Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams showed nothing in their time on the active roster

Jimmy Graham still has a patella tendon to recover from.

Face it - WR was a need ... and Jermaine Kearse helps patch that up.
The more I think about it the more I dislike it. Kearse might of been the easiest starter to replace on the roster. I hope it's backloaded like McGruff mentioned earlier. I don't hate Kearse, just not a huge fan of this move.

Replace with who? Behind Baldwin and Lockett there is little there.

Also don't discount the chemistry Kearse and Wilson have with one another. Look how long it took an elite weapon like Jimmy Graham to adjust to how Wilson runs around like he's been set on fire.

Sorry if its between Richardson/Kasen/Kevin Smith or Kearse.. I'm taking Kearse every single time.
It's obvious you love Kearse and that's great. I'm not a fan of the move UNLESS the numbers favor the team. If it's back loaded as insurance for Richardson and Graham then it makes some sense. If not it makes little sense. Put this in your sig and we can revisit this later? :)

firebee

Reaction score
titan3131":3duamf6j said:
I am not happy at all. Smh... Why God why... There's soo so many good draft prospects.

Literally every penny of his salary should be towards Baldwin's or Bennett.

Good prospects, but do they fit what we want and would they be in a position where we'd grab them. Treadwell is most likely not sliding to us. Doctson is another option in the first, but do you take him over Conklin, Spriggs, Rankins or Darron Lee?
Then you have Rashard Higgins, but he could go mid 2nd. Devon Cajuste??? He's been flying up the boards. I've had a hard time grabbing him with our 3rd round comp in a lot of recent mocks and we might be inclined to take Keith Marshall, Connor McGovern, James Cowser or a 1st or 2nd round slider that's there for whatever reason. Nothing's guaranteed in the draft, unless you can definitively predict what the other teams think about the players in the draft. Given the fact that the FA just didn't have many suitable WRs that would've been an upgrade on Kearse at the right price and the volatility of the draft; getting Kearse resigned to a reasonablish deal was the smart move here. Doesn't mean we won't draft a WR. Just means we won't have to take a WR over another prospect we may really like because we're looking for a starter.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm happy for Kearse on a personal level. Went from undrafted to getting paid. Good for him.

Cant wait to see the details of the trade.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fade":1isd9zbc said:
Hasselbeck":1isd9zbc said:

And so are O-Line, D-Line, and LB which are more pressing.

The Seahawks want to be a run heavy team, but spend all their budgeted money allocated to Offense, on WR's, A Franchise QB, and Jimmy Graham. Then hold them back, and not throw the ball. It just doesn't make any sense.

Well good thing there's that event coming up next month called the NFL Draft huh?

And I think the days of this offense being run heavy are over. Russell is getting paid Top 5 money for a reason. This is his offense now.

Fade

Reaction score
mrt144":3i1f7qsk said:
Fade":3i1f7qsk said:
HawkFan72":3i1f7qsk said:
Here's the part of this I don't like, especially after the year Baldwin just had. Baldwin is going to want a bump now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/708104848416251904[/tweet]
SMH

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????????????????

I hate to be this guy but...

get a grip.

I got you. I'm cool now. I was just shocked by this.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
austinslater25":exxiq567 said:
It's obvious you love Kearse and that's great. I'm not a fan of the move UNLESS the numbers favor the team. If it's back loaded as insurance for Richardson and Graham then it makes some sense. If not it makes little sense. Put this in your sig and we can revisit this later? :)

I don't "love" Kearse, I recognize his value to the team and the fact we had a really glaring need at that position if he left.

I don't know what you want me to sig? That bringing back a WR our franchise QB has insanely good chemistry with is a bad idea?

Fade

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2b678qu5 said:
Fade":2b678qu5 said:
Hasselbeck":2b678qu5 said:

The Seahawks want to be a run heavy team, but spend all their budgeted money allocated to Offense, on WR's, A Franchise QB, and Jimmy Graham. Then hold them back, and not throw the ball. It just doesn't make any sense.

Well good thing there's that event coming up next month called the NFL Draft huh?

And I think the days of this offense being run heavy are over. Russell is getting paid Top 5 money for a reason. This is his offense now.

I will believe it when I see it. Pete & Cable want to run the ball.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkFan72":jj42gih9 said:
Here's the part of this I don't like, especially after the year Baldwin just had. Baldwin is going to want a bump now.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/708104848416251904[/tweet]

That comparison is a little disingenuous.

Kearse was forced to play a whole season on a cheap RFA tender before getting this deal.

Baldwin had his tender ripped up and got a new deal early.

Doug's career APY is higher if you factor in the extra year of cheap service that Kearse was forced to play.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3hxmqvmj said:
Fade":3hxmqvmj said:
Hasselbeck":3hxmqvmj said:

There are so many reasons to be excited for next season already - new blood at OL, the same WRs that were lighting it up at the end of the season with RW, Rawls coming back, and we havent done the draft yet which will no doubt be intriguing. Transition is hard but it happens whether you like it or not so why not embrace it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3hr389ez said:
austinslater25":3hr389ez said:

I don't "love" Kearse, I recognize his value to the team and the fact we had a really glaring need at that position if he left.

I don't know what you want me to sig? That bringing back a WR our franchise QB has insanely good chemistry with is a bad idea?
Forget it, trying to have some fun with you. We disagree. If everyone is healthy it's probably not a good signing. If he's the 5th option then this is overkill. The devil will be in the details as someone else said.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm good with this. One less player we need to replace.

Baldwin, Lockett, kearse and Richardson are a nice foursome. Just find whichever guy is best on special teams and let him be the 5th.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm also good with this, Kearse is a solid #3 receiver. Yes he might be making Baldwin's money but Baldwin is a UFA next year, he will either get extended or go to another team (hope not) and make big money somewhere else. The average for a great WR averages about $8 million a year. I see Doug getting at least $6 million or higher a year after this contract.

If Richardson actually stays healthy, Baldwin, Lockett, and Kearse could be the Fearsome Foursome, I'm looking forward to our continuity of the spread offense to make it more of a balance offense.

What's not to like about Rawls coming back and hopefully Graham is healthy enough to play, imagine Graham in the spread offense with our other weapons.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
This is a pitiful signing IMO.

I was excited to move on without Kearse.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Baldwin is in a contract year and in his prime. This doesn't affect that. If he had 2 years left it might cause something.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fade":pz9smth2 said:
Hasselbeck":pz9smth2 said:
Fade":pz9smth2 said:
Hasselbeck":pz9smth2 said:

I will believe it when I see it. Pete & Cable want to run the ball.

Yeah, I don't see the logic behind that one Hasselbeck. Spread offense in Seattle? This is not the division for that.

Wait until you see what happens when Todd Gurley gets run down the 49ers throat, then they come out with a spread offense and go 3 and out.

Fade

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":453lixf6 said:
I'm also good with this, Kearse is a solid #3 receiver. Yes he might be making Baldwin's money but Baldwin is a UFA next year, he will either get extended or go to another team (hope not) and make big money somewhere else. The average for a great WR averages about $8 million a year. I see Doug getting at least $6 million or higher a year after this contract.

If Richardson actually stays healthy, Baldwin, Lockett, and Kearse could be the Fearsome Foursome, I'm looking forward to our continuity of the spread offense to make it more of a balance offense.

What's not to like about Rawls coming back and hopefully Graham is healthy enough to play, imagine Graham in the spread offense with our other weapons.
That is what Golden Tate got 3 years ago.

Baldwin is looking at at least $9M APY right now to extend him. If he were to play out the year, and have a repeat of last season at least $11M APY.

drdiags

Reaction score
Good for Kearse. I was sort of hoping he would move on. Aros may like Kearse Words but I thought Kearse was rather corny. But he is better than Scruggs. I wonder why Kearse was so strong about moving on only to return? Did his agent give him bad info or was he upset with what the Seahawks were originally offering to his agent and he got wind of it?

Maybe one of the young WRs step up, but at least now you know what you should expect at the minimum with who you have as your top-3 WRs.

Kearse is a good story but he isn't in the mold of a Bobby Engram level WR3. Then again, he has made some pretty big catches for the franchise. I see him more like DJ Hackett.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2joaolv9 said:
austinslater25":2joaolv9 said:
Good for Kearse but not excited at all about the numbers. Healthy Richardson probably beats him out and you're stuck paying what could be your 5th option in the passing game over 4 million a year. Just seemed like the easiest guy to replace at a much lower cost and use the money elsewhere.

Healthy Richardson may not exist

Kevin Smith and Kasen Williams showed nothing in their time on the active roster

Jimmy Graham still has a patella tendon to recover from.

Although Richardson hasn't been that reliable, honestly, the one season that's a good sample size, he was healthy and not knicked up with smaller injuries, then he tore his ACL. He came back from it, and after some time off, played and pulled his hamstring. That's actually pretty common with guys that don't get an off season in. It's true he's not reliable so far, but he's also not like Simon, he's constantly hurt in different areas.

You're right in that we honestly can't count on Graham, although the last report I saw said he was ahead of schedule and was on pace to be ready for week 1. The one thing we haven't heard is how bad that tear was. It could've been a partial tear of the tendon which heals easier and mostly retains it's strength, not like a full tear. Still not an option to hang your season on.

You kind of contradict yourself. You're saying it took Kearse time to gain chemistry with Wilson, then say that Williams and Smith haven't show anything, in VERY limited snaps and sample size. They can develop and get better too, just like Kearse did. We'll only know with more reps. The positive in this is that our offense was truly humming last year. During that stretch: Graham was out, Lynch was out, Rawls played very well, then he was out, and Kearse disappeared in long stretches. Our offense was screaming along at a historic pace with Baldwin, Lockett, Willson, Christine Michael, and average pass protection.

I honestly think we over paid Kearse. He was on the FA market and there was no rumored interest at all. I haven't read of him visiting one team. We could've paid less, especially when he realized he had nothing going on.

If Baldwin plays as well as he did last year, and Lockett doesn't improve but maintains his game, we still have a damn good WR combo, paired with a capable Willson. With league average pass protecion, good run blocking and either Kearse, Smith or Williams, we're fine. We don't need an elite 3rd or 4th option. Even then, I'm willing to be we'll probably draft a 6'3" WR to fill a niche we don't have yet.