WR Jermaine Kearse re-signs with Seahawks 3yrs/13.5m

crosfam

Reaction score
austinslater25":206piu21 said:
Mathis for 6 million is one reason I wasnt a huge fan. There is the offensive lineman where the Kearse money could of helped support. I hope we have a plan for the offensive line...

I think our plan is to:

Sign a few affordable guys
Draft a few affordable guys (I bet our rd. one pick will go to defense)
Develop affordable guys we draft or sign
Cut guys that don't work out
Let guys leave if they want big $$.
Run block first, pass block 2nd. Wear out defensive lines.
Always look to get younger

McGruff

Reaction score
austinslater25":364urp0j said:
Mathis for 6 million is one reason I wasnt a huge fan. There is the offensive lineman where the Kearse money could of helped support. I hope we have a plan for the offensive line...

Mathis for 6 million would be a horrible contract that would simply delay fixing the offensive line.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Why is that? Not snarky but an honest question.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I will admit that I am not as down on the signing as I originally was, biggest part of the salary at the end when he could be let go if it doesn't work out.

McGruff

Reaction score
austinslater25":15e647en said:
Why is that? Not snarky but an honest question.

First, its way more than I would be willing to pay for an older, declining player who has no future.

And second, where would we be next year when the contract is up, Mathis is even older, and possibly retiring? Same place we are now. Older vets just delay the process.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I get that but not sure how declined he was, I think he graded out very good? I could have him mixed up.

To me you sign a veteran guy, invest in the line via the draft and go from there. It helps the young guys and also helps Wilson immediately. Even a slight increase in the line would allow Wilson to do his thing. This is all assuming whoever they sign is still a very good lineman. I thought Mathis graded high but could be wrong.

McGruff

Reaction score
austinslater25":2ra7ybws said:
I get that but not sure how declined he was, I think he graded out very good? I could have him mixed up.

To me you sign a veteran guy, invest in the line via the draft and go from there. It helps the young guys and also helps Wilson immediately. Even a slight increase in the line would allow Wilson to do his thing. This is all assuming whoever they sign is still a very good lineman. I thought Mathis graded high but could be wrong.

He graded out very good, but every year is another year closer to the end. He'd still be better than what we have, but next year we have the same dilema.

And paying 6 million for a one year mentor is overkill to me. In Sowell and Webb we have veteran players you can be sounding boards and safety nets and combined they are half the cost of Mathis.

I see the thought process, because a player like Mathis is a huge improvement. But there is no l9ng term upside there.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I didn't realize he was 35. Wheels could fall off quickly. I still think adding a veteran into the mix with a lot of young talent infused in is the way to go but hoping Sowell/Webb can be an upgrade and it can accomplish that much cheaper. I just don't have a ton of faith in this staff/FO when it comes to the offensive line. I love these guys but this is one area they've missed a ton on.

McGruff

Reaction score
austinslater25":3rhwtw85 said:
I didn't realize he was 35. Wheels could fall off quickly. I still think adding a veteran into the mix with a lot of young talent infused in is the way to go but hoping Sowell/Webb can be an upgrade and it can accomplish that much cheaper. I just don't have a ton of faith in this staff/FO when it comes to the offensive line. I love these guys but this is one area they've missed a ton on.

Definitely agree there. Past history doesn't inspire confidence.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Thanks for the discussion. I really respect your opinion so nice to hear your thoughts.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I guess Kearse will always have plenty of haters but he was the ideal safety net for Russ last year and he'll continue to be that combined with the occasional game winning plays. Imo this amount of money is just about right and I much rather have Jermaine on the team than an injury riddled Okung who didn't even want to be here anymore.

McGruff

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3agm8urh said:
We chose Kearse over Okung.... dumb dumb dumb

First of all, 2.5 million cap hit versus 8 million.

Second, 26 years old versuspect 29.

Third, stays healthy all the time versus misses 3-4 games every year and is always hurt.

But at the end of day they had a model for fitting both under the cap. Okung didn't fit the model.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
McGruff":26fffj4s said:
TheRealDTM":26fffj4s said:
We chose Kearse over Okung.... dumb dumb dumb

First of all, 2.5 million cap hit versus 8 million.

Second, 26 years old versuspect 29.

Third, stays healthy all the time versus misses 3-4 games every year and is always hurt.

But at the end of day they had a model for fitting both under the cap. Okung didn't fit the model.

I was under the impression Okung was signed for a 1 year 5m contract and the rest was a team option, if thats not the case I change my reaction.

Ozzy

Reaction score
They said 5 million on 710 I believe.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
McGruff":1go4yzpo said:
austinslater25":1go4yzpo said:

5 million with 3 million more in performance escalators.

Sure but those are escalators you are more than willing to pay, start all games? limit sacks on RW? that saying you are at max paying 8m for an elite LT at worst paying 5m for an average LT.

massari

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1waa0ezv said:
McGruff":1waa0ezv said:
austinslater25":1waa0ezv said:

Sure but those are escalators you are more than willing to pay, start all games? limit sacks on RW? that saying you are at max paying 8m for an elite LT at worst paying 5m for an average LT.
Exactly.

Same goes for Beachum. Beachum will earn 4.5m and can earn up to 6m if he reaches his incentives, which will obviously be worth it given the market for LT's. He was rated top 10 LT by a lot of analysts before his injury and he's only 26.

Unless they just didn't want to play in Seattle, it's confusing why they weren't signed.

Webb and Sowell it is, I guess.

McGruff

Reaction score
massari":whlrvlie said:
TheRealDTM":whlrvlie said:
McGruff":whlrvlie said:
austinslater25":whlrvlie said:

Exactly.

Same goes for Beachum. Beachum will earn 4.5m and can earn up to 6m if he reaches his incentives, which will obviously be worth it given the market for LT's. He was rated top 10 LT by a lot of analysts before his injury and he's only 26.

Unless they just didn't want to play in Seattle, it's confusing why they weren't signed.

Webb and Sowell it is, I guess.

Or the team likes Gilliam at his pay more than those guys at their pay. Or the team likes the OT class in the draft and feels good about getting what they want . . .

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think this has to be the case. It just seems like a gamble and with their track record on the O-Line I sincerely hope this isn't a catastrophic mistake and I'm worried it is. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it and the happiest guy in the room.

McGruff who of the guys we currently have are you the most confident in? For me its Glowinski and I'm not even sure why that's the case. I just feel like he will be a solid guy this year.