Wouldnt Mind seeing Red not cleared to play

Domseahawks

Reaction score
Personally i'd like to see red inside and bennett at the end spot, mcdaniel has been poor against the run in recent weeks and has thrown the RB forward most of the time, i know we probably wouldn't do this but it's something i'd like to see happen.

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Mick063":3kd49v7u said:
Bennett doesn't have enough sand in the bucket to consistently hold up against the run. Red is a big man.

We are talking about him playing defensive end. At 275 lbs he is more than big enough.

Red is a giant at the position and that is what makes him unique in the league.

Also I think i read around here somewhere that some poster said that he read on one of those stat geek websites that Bennett's run stuff numbers were one of the best in the league. I dont know what thread i read that in though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Saying Bennett is too small to play DE is silly, he played DE in Tampa for years.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This does bring up an interesting question, how the hell can you tell if Red has had a concussion? Does he talk slower? Is it even possible to talk slower?

Don't bring a new doctor in to test Red, he will never be cleared to play again if they do.

Tical21

Reaction score
I can't get on board with this one. We've just been too awful against the run lately. We need Red in there. Also, we figure to play more pass personnel on defense this week anyway, so I don't know that Red gets a ton of snaps, even if fully healthy.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Tical21":3sekyeql said:
I can't get on board with this one. We've just been too awful against the run lately. We need Red in there. Also, we figure to play more pass personnel on defense this week anyway, so I don't know that Red gets a ton of snaps, even if fully healthy.

If we are bad against the run with Red playing, what is he contributing when he is in the game? It sure ain't his pass rush.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":22vp5sb0 said:
Tical21":22vp5sb0 said:

If we are bad against the run with Red playing, what is he contributing when he is in the game? It sure ain't his pass rush.

That's a little bit simplistic, don't you think? Red had a couple of mistakes, but I can tell you for sure Tampa didn't run at him very much.

Oakhawk

Reaction score
I can see Red being a cap casualty as well--but I won't rule out his taking a cut to stay here. His in-laws are here and he plays for the same team his father-in-law made a name for himself on.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Mick063":38i6imma said:
Bennett doesn't have enough sand in the bucket to consistently hold up against the run. Red is a big man.

When we picked up Bennett in FA, he was the highest rated 4-3 DE in the league against the run. So, I'd have to disagree with you. Tampa Bay also didn't sub him out; he played the entire game.

The biggest difference is that when Red does his job correctly, he doesn't just set the edge, he collapses it, which funnels the RB right into the middle of the line.

Bennett sets a good edge, not letting the RB get outside of him, but he gets his with penetration. He'll consistently beat a OT off the line, which allows for more sacks and more tackles for loss. Red gets there, but he's slower so he gets a lot of stops for no gain instead.

I'm with you Tech. I really want to see how Bennett does in a full game. This also allows the Hawks to rotate in more guys to replace Bennett on the edge. Meaning Avril and Irvin will get more reps on the edge.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2zczrh3y said:
Hawknballs":2zczrh3y said:
Yeah obviously the coaches are clueless and it would be awesome if an injury to one of the most veteran players on the team forced them to finally have to start making good decisions.

Huh?
YOU KNOW THAT'S WHAT YOU MEANT!

chris98251

Reaction score
The coaching staff early in the season said they were still trying to figure out best how to use all the talent they have on the D Line, I think at times we get too creative with packages. As far as Red you want to remove out edge contain when we have been gashed for 400 rushing yds the last two weeks?

I think we need to stiffen the middle better and not over pursue so that all our speed can be used going down hill instead of in pursuit due to over reaction.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3gin03b1 said:
I never understood why Red doesn't get more sacks.

Because he's a run stuffer, far more than pass rusher (which is where the majority of sacks come from).

I love me some Red, but he's not had a very good year. Not sure if there's something going on with being dinged up with injuries, or he's having a hard time with the rotation of lineman......but he's been getting pushed around of late, and that's very un-Red like.

Largent80

Reaction score
You got your wish so either McDonald or Bennett at DE. To me it is scary because Red takes a lot of space and double teams, I guess we will see, something needs to get better but I'm not sure this is best.

I would like to have Smith starting at LB, I think that would help us a lot.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Apparently Tech has been using Aros' 8 ball. Red is out.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Then the D line could get more playing-together time and get cohesive--like Howie Long sai.

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Largent80":3ez5s8ja said:
You got your wish so either McDonald or Bennett at DE. To me it is scary because Red takes a lot of space and double teams, I guess we will see, something needs to get better but I'm not sure this is best.

I would like to have Smith starting at LB, I think that would help us a lot.

Red has been being double teamed when playing the end?

Maybe when he shifts inside but I think that's debatable and I don't think you have any definitive proof of your claim.

I would give you 16 to 1 odds that you are incorrect!

Latest posts