Would you trade Jaren Reed for JJ Watt?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
This would be an all in move as Reed is just entering his prime and JJ is on the decline. I think it would improve our DL but the injury history is not to be overlooked. Also would Houston want picks?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
A thousand times yes. Reed's big sack season is going to be a career outlier. If that trade can actually be made, it'd be absolutely excellent... but we'd need to throw in significantly more value.

TugHawk

Reaction score
To the points made above, Jarran Reed's 10.5 sack season was Frank Clark's final year with the team (2018). I think a case can be made that Jarran's production was thanks to the pressure created by Clark. I would trade Reed for JJ yesterday, especially with the addition of Snacks.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3eyynsa1 said:
How about a 2021 2nd rd pick and Jacob Hollister

Yes, I'd do it but no, I don't think they'd bite.

Cincy is tanking, their No. 1 need is to protect Burrow, and Dunlap threw almost a Jalen Ramsey-style fit to get out of there.

Whereas with Texans, we'd have to give them almost dk metcalf for them to be remotely interested in an individual. In their position, it'd be more about the upcoming picks and if we're all that this year, it'd make sense to trade him to a team that's been collecting picks and in a more attractive position pick-wise.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
No
Over the hill and cannot stay healthy. Great team guy and leader but we need someone that can stay on the field.

rcaido

Reaction score
JS seem to look for couples that have a bad marriage. JJ Watt and the Texans are ready for a divorce...Just like Clowney, Adams, & now Dunlap.

Yes this would be a great trade if we can ship out Hollister too for cap reasons. I think we just need to give up a 3rd rounder.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
rcaido":3tkqompy said:
JS seem to look for couples that have a bad marriage. JJ Watt and the Texans are ready for a divorce...Just like Clowney, Adams, & now Dunlap.

Yes this would be a great trade if we can ship out Hollister too for cap reasons. I think we just need to give up a 3rd rounder.

We don't have a third. We gave that to Jets along with a first for Adams.

sdog1981

Reaction score
33 million for 2 years? That's a no from me dawg.

With this trade, the Seahawks would be giving up cap space and picks. Jaren Reed is either going to stay with the team for cheap or leave and give the team picks in 2022.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Absolutely not. Watt is old, beat up and broken. No way would I trade Reed for him.

All he can bring to the team now is media hype.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
uncle fester":3h0oq1g0 said:
Absolutely not. Watt is old, beat up and broken. No way would I trade Reed for him.

All he can bring to the team now is media hype.
So, you'd want to keep a marginal NFL starter, backup quality player over J.J Watt? Reed has one good year to his name, the rest are either mediocre or awful. Let me ask you this, what exactly is he bringing to the team right now? He certainly isn't bringing any sacks, he certainly isn't going a great job stopping the run. 31 year old Watt has the same amount of sacks in a six game period as Reed has had in the last two seasons. Watt has more tackles for a loss in six games than Reed has in his 2020, 2019 and 2017 seasons combined. 31 year old Watt could play circles around reed.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
They were using reed as an outside de against the cards. I think the idea was to get more pressure with him regardless of other players. If snacks and poona hold down the middle....expect to see Reed out on the edges more often. I wouldn't make the trade because you are reaching for what watt used to be. Not what he is now.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":zy6bcial said:
They were using reed as an outside de against the cards. I think the idea was to get more pressure with him regardless of other players. If snacks and poona hold down the middle....expect to see Reed out on the edges more often. I wouldn't make the trade because you are reaching for what watt used to be. Not what he is now.
Reed is not a good player, period. I don't care if we play him on the edge, on the inside, he's not good. He's had moments where he's looked good, but more often than not he is a liability. This is his fifth year in the NFL and all he has is one good season 3 years ago, and a bunch of mediocre, to below mediocre seasons following. You're doing the exact same thing right now, gleaming onto a season that happened 3 years ago. The fact of the matter is J.J Watt has done more in a six game period than Reed has done in two years.

xray

Reaction score
Not sure if they have the money or the draft picks to pull this off in the 1st place . Just chatter IMO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think JJ Watt is an absolute star player, but he is not an inside DLineman and we have a bunch of guys on the roster who are 5 tech type players like him. I'd love to have him here and 10 other players with his will to win but he has been hurt a lot over the past few years and his best years are sadly behind him, and his p.a. cost would be too high. For me while i love him as a player I doubt he'd fit here as well as Calais Campbell would have to replace Reed, who is being played as more of 3 tech when he isn't one. The team needs more juice inside to help the ends by requiring the blocking to be focused inside

My answer is no I wouldn't trade Reed for him, the thought is undoubtedly intriguing. If the team had the cap then for sure I'd try to sign him as a FA, and still trade Reed for a real 3 tech.

ivotuk

Reaction score
No! JJ Watt's body is breaking down. The guy's play has been commendable, but it's also taken a toll on his body. I doubt he plays 16 games ever again. He has averaged 4.5 sacks per year the last 5 years.

Whereas Jarran Reed has been healthy, and with some decent help on the edge, can be a difference maker in the middle. Right now teams can focus on him, because who else is there on our line?

JJ Watt

2016 3 games played 1.5 sacks

2017 5 games played 0 sacks

2018 16 games played 16

2019 8 games played 4 sacks

2020 7 games played 3 sacks

massari

Reaction score
I'll take JJ Watt for 3 games over 16 games of Reed.

Just rest JJ until the playoffs lol