Win with grace, lose with GRACE.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
canfan":q6d1pd9o said:
Popeyejones":q6d1pd9o said:
-The Glove-":q6d1pd9o said:
Well its not like there isn't a precedent

Precedent for what? Precedent for something that you guys made up happening? :lol:

Nothing made up. Kaep was clearly seen running off the field in Seattle without talking to, or shaking hands with anyone. It was clearly caught on camera for all to see.

See my underline. In Week 2 Kap (among others) went into the tunnel w/out going out to the middle of the field. Not denying that at all.

I'm saying that if you're calling it precedent (previous behavior that is instructive of future behavior), it has to be precedent FOR something. What is it precedent FOR? The thing you guys just made up out of thin air to justify your antipathy? That's what's funny.

(and yes, that it happens in a thread so chock-full with self-righteous moralizing about "grace" and "classiness" and the like is of course not without its humor also).

NINEster

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":ivu3e7qw said:
NINEster":ivu3e7qw said:
Kaepernick is a good person. His actions just don't fully reflect that right now.

Do you think that he is taking cues from the coaching staff, as Harbaugh can be salty and short with the media? Do you think it's probably just the pressure of living up to expectations?

It's hard to say what's going on.

The Harbaugh media thing was inherited from bill Walsh whose mantra was "the media is always out to create problems, misconstrue quotes, etc."

Belichick is another Walsh understudy, little known to many
Football fans.

Being that Walsh for the most part was a gentleman, and those two aren't that , their demeanor comes off a lot worse.

As for CK being influenced, I think it's very possible.

Slight observation: I think not having Alex Smith around in the sideline, film room is an under appreciated loss.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^Good point re: Bill Walsh.

FWIW, IIRC, Alex Smith started doing this too (which he hadn't done before in his career) after Harbaugh came, so I'd suspect Harbaugh has something to do w/ it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
For the most part, Walsh was a manipulative cretin. Got Dennis Green hired at Minnesota so he could take back the Stanford gig. Realizing his Tree was no match for the Dawgs, he launched and perpetuated a smear campaign against the U of W. Referring to the team as "a band of mercenaries and thugs" because of such serious infractions as Hobert taking a loan from a non-booster and the now-minister, Napolean Kaufman receiving an ILLEGAL $6 sandwich at a charity event.

Walsh, with so much NFL success, thanks in part to his owner paying players under the table, wielded enough power and influence to rally the Pac 10 (9) and the NCAA against the Dawgs, basically destroying the program. But when Stanford next visited Washington, for their annual ass kicking, the natural born clown, Walsh, de-boarded the plane wearing a Groucho Marx disguise. What a joker...hahaha...where's a sniper when you need one?

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3d8m90mc said:
I'm saying that if you're calling it precedent (previous behavior that is instructive of future behavior), it has to be precedent FOR something. What is it precedent FOR? The thing you guys just made up out of thin air to justify your antipathy? That's what's funny.

(and yes, that it happens in a thread so chock-full with self-righteous moralizing about "grace" and "classiness" and the like is of course not without its humor also).
Thanks for the screencap; it answers the question. This play-acting about "precedent" though, is kind of douchey, don't you think? Overplaying your hand a bit. You know full well what the poster meant; pretending otherwise to get in a little dig seems a little beneath you.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkWow":28wh5uux said:
Walsh, with so much NFL success, thanks in part to his owner paying players under the table

Walsh was the 49ers HC from 1979 to 1988.

The salary cap was instituted in 1994.

John York telling the league about Carmen Policy telling agents that deals could be restructured if their players performed well and Brent Jones being reimbursed for his travel because a team car failed to pick him up for a charity event happened 1998-1999. Walsh was the GM at the time, but was never implicated in any of it. His success was because of Carmen Policy doing that in 98-99?

If you have a good case against Walsh, no need to sweeten it, IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2qduivwe said:
Thanks for the screencap; it answers the question. This play-acting about "precedent" though, is kind of douchey, don't you think? Overplaying your hand a bit. You know full well what the poster meant; pretending otherwise to get in a little dig seems a little beneath you.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm certainly being a bit rhetorical and douchey, but the response was also douchey.

1. Claim is invented out of thin air
2. Claim is proven categorically false
3. Instead of just accepting that the claim was wrong, a poster tries to hang onto it by saying, in essence, "well it COULDA happened even though it didn't."

And as I'm being a prig about weak defenses, mine right now ("well, he started it!") is certainly one of those! :)

(subtext too is that -The Glove- and I know we're just messing w/ each other a little bit, or at least I hope we do...)

hawker84

Reaction score
Give me a break, it's been taught since pee wee football, after the game you shake hands with other team, i was taught this back when i played, and i'm sure Kaepernick was as well. Don't try to sit here and say it's something new that just appeared in this forum, it's a standard that measures character and class, both in which Kap seems to have neither.. Nor does your douchebag head coach.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2xd11ebg said:
VivaEfrenHerrera":2xd11ebg said:

Yeah, fair enough. I'm certainly being a bit rhetorical and douchey, but the response was also douchey.

1. Claim is invented out of thin air
2. Claim is proven categorically false
3. Instead of just accepting that the claim was wrong, a poster tries to hang onto it by saying, in essence, "well it COULDA happened even though it didn't."

And as I'm being a prig about weak defenses, mine right now ("well, he started it!") is certainly one of those! :)

(subtext too is that -The Glove- and I know we're just messing w/ each other a little bit, or at least I hope we do...)

Sure thing, buddy-o-pal :lol: I'd say how completely wrong you are about #3 but what's the point?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3p9pznip said:
HawkWow":3p9pznip said:
Walsh, with so much NFL success, thanks in part to his owner paying players under the table

John York telling the league about Carmen Policy telling agents that deals could be restructured if their players performed well and Brent Jones being reimbursed for his travel because a team car failed to pick him up for a charity event happened 1998-1999. Walsh was the GM at the time, but was never implicated in any of it. His success was because of Carmen Policy doing that in 98-99?

I never said a word about Policy. I'm speaking of DeBartolo, Eddie, not Denise (York). The same Eddie DeBartolo banned, for life, from football.

DeBartolo was "rewarding" players under the table all through the 9er championship years. He was at the helm the entire time Walsh was coach. Walsh obviously benefitted by way of having players enticed to give a little extra, if they wanted a little extra. That brand of corruption helped get Walsh his rings, yet he launches a campaign against UW for much less. It's just who the guy was. Was he a brilliant coach? Absolutely...but that doesn't make the man.

NINEster

Reaction score
HawkWow":168fzqam said:
Popeyejones":168fzqam said:
HawkWow":168fzqam said:

I never said a word about Policy. I'm speaking of DeBartolo, Eddie, not Denise (York). The same Eddie DeBartolo banned, for life, from football.

DeBartolo was "rewarding" players under the table all through the 9er championship years. He was at the helm the entire time Walsh was coach. Walsh obviously benefitted by way of having players enticed to give a little extra, if they wanted a little extra. That brand of corruption helped get Walsh his rings, yet he launches a campaign against UW for much less. It's just who the guy was. Was he a brilliant coach? Absolutely...but that doesn't make the man.

Look there's always going to be disagreements between Niner and hawk homers , but enough is enough....what you write is straight BS.

First , debartolo is no longer banned; he merely chooses not to be involved with the nfl anymore except his unofficial capacity as Jed york's adviser. He was forced out at best, and in the grand scheme of things was no more a criminal than those involved in bounty gate. He was out on the hot seat for being extorted not the one doing the extorting!

Secondly , as previously stated by popeye the cap didn't take place until '94. If debartolo wanted to bribe his players with Ferraris prior to that, that's nobody's business. Debartolo was the ultimate player's owner hands down, and it wasn't just money either as the man legitimately connected with people and appreciated them. Other owners didn't do what he did because they were too cheap or didn't have the swagger and charisma. If it was so easy, many other owners would have been as successful.

I see this nonsense here and other team forums. For what it's worth , the 49ers post cap under debartolo failed to get back to a SB appearance. They mortgaged the future on high priced vets and it ultimately failed and hurt the team. The Eagles took Ricky Watters and that was the biggest loss because the team would go years before getting another franchise RB (garrison Hearst). Back then you needed a big name RB to win championships.

So to those that keep bringing up this irrelevant topic, you're only asking for the obnoxious "5 rings" commentary.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":20a0m3a5 said:
Psychologically speaking.... I think the attire and demeanor of Kaep, brings to mind one word: "turtle" - it's what you do when you are sensitive and fairly intelligent and a huge amount of pressure and expectations and negative comments are piled on top of you. All NFL QB's must deal with this, but I think it's worse in cities that have two overlapping fanbases because you get more frontrunner fans who abandon one team for the other and are ONLY happy when everything is perfect. There are old 49er fans who are spoiled enough as it is, and are expecting Kaep to be Young or Montana, but then there are a whole lot of wet rats who abandoned the Raiders sinking ship and are currently residing on the 49er bandwagon, braying like the donkey's when things break their way, and then eating their own when things get rough.

If I were Kaep I'd go off my rocker and show up in clown suit, armed with squirtguns full of cat urine, which I would then fire at the first reporter who asked a really dumb question.

But hey, that's why I could never be an NFL QB. ;)

Lol. "Turtle" I don't know if you did that on purpose or not but this place loves Sammy. So you're saying Kaep is taking on the personality of his pet turtle, Sammy?

Throwdown

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2hpvzf4u said:
The_Z_Man":2hpvzf4u said:
Psychologically speaking.... I think the attire and demeanor of Kaep, brings to mind one word: "turtle" - it's what you do when you are sensitive and fairly intelligent and a huge amount of pressure and expectations and negative comments are piled on top of you. All NFL QB's must deal with this, but I think it's worse in cities that have two overlapping fanbases because you get more frontrunner fans who abandon one team for the other and are ONLY happy when everything is perfect. There are old 49er fans who are spoiled enough as it is, and are expecting Kaep to be Young or Montana, but then there are a whole lot of wet rats who abandoned the Raiders sinking ship and are currently residing on the 49er bandwagon, braying like the donkey's when things break their way, and then eating their own when things get rough.

If I were Kaep I'd go off my rocker and show up in clown suit, armed with squirtguns full of cat urine, which I would then fire at the first reporter who asked a really dumb question.

But hey, that's why I could never be an NFL QB. ;)

Lol. "Turtle" I don't know if you did that on purpose or not but this place loves Sammy. So you're saying Kaep is taking on the personality of his pet turtle, Sammy?

Didn't Sammy catch the holy ghost from a automobile while running away from Kaepernick's house of sin?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1ys7fwfh said:
Sure thing, buddy-o-pal :lol: I'd say how completely wrong you are about #3 but what's the point?

Okay. TBF though, if I posted that Marshawn Lynch got drunk and hit someone with his car again, you posted that I'm just making sh!t up, and I responded by saying, "well, there's precedent for it," I think you'd probably look at me askance too. No biggie, though (sincerely).

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkWow":2gmnmxyp said:
I never said a word about Policy.

I was responding to your quote (which I quoted at the top of my post), which doesn't make a lick of sense.

Debartolo was paying people under the table well before the salary cap? Why in the world would he pay them under the table?

Also, as you know, Eddie D. was never suspended from football for anything having anything to do with football, now was he ever banned.

The Gov. of LA, Edwin Edwards, extorted him for 400K to get a gambling license (which Debartolo paid). Edwards then told Debartolo that to get the license he'd have to give Edwards' son a $10,000 a month retainer for (not to be performed) legal services, as well continuing "consulting fees" to other members' of his family. Edwards got caught, and DeBartolo was charged with failing to report the crime, the only point of which was to dismiss the charge in exchange for his testimony, which he did, and which happened.

DeBartolo was not banned from the NFL. He was suspended from running the team for one year, for which he stepped down and his sister took over (they were 50/50 co-owners). He never came back because they divested their family assets from each other, and she got the team.

Again, if you have a strong claim to make, you shouldn't have to repeatedly try to sweeten it (e.g. claiming Walsh's success was based on something that he wasn't involved in that happened long after his reputation was set in stone, claiming Debartolo was "banned for life" when he was suspended for one year).

Latest posts