Wilson Vague on his Future

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Rat":1xdewc1p said:
I wouldnt say he's leaving as much as I think he's just setting it up to not look like he had any influence on the decision if he is moved. Honestly, that's a smart move. He's the Michael Scott of the NFL: he NEEDS to be liked. He doesnt want a Brett Favre situation where the fan praise he spent forever soaking up turns against him.
Too late. He's gonna find it's an impossible task

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":242q8x85 said:
TwistedHusky":242q8x85 said:
At this point, we might want to bite the bullet and do what we need to get Watson. Eat the bad PR and hope the winning offsets it. Watson is one of the few QBs we could drop into this system and expect to potentially still do well.

If he can avoid jail, which is certainly possible.

He won on the freaking Texans, he would probably flourish here.

I think I read he has reached settlement terms with all but three to this point.

But now you have to look at what the Texans are asking or will ask, what we can get for Wilson and if the two trade situations will work. Texans are asking the moon at the moment and almost got it twice, Miami and another team but for those three unsettled people it would have been done.

So really you have to wonder which is worth more Bad Finger or Stink Finger lol.
I think I read something about the Texans' GM or someone in charge being a pretty hard-core Bible thumper. Maybe Jesus tells him to take Russell for Watson straight up

chris98251

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":p9cn73qx said:
chris98251":p9cn73qx said:
TwistedHusky":p9cn73qx said:
At this point, we might want to bite the bullet and do what we need to get Watson. Eat the bad PR and hope the winning offsets it. Watson is one of the few QBs we could drop into this system and expect to potentially still do well.

I think I read he has reached settlement terms with all but three to this point.

But now you have to look at what the Texans are asking or will ask, what we can get for Wilson and if the two trade situations will work. Texans are asking the moon at the moment and almost got it twice, Miami and another team but for those three unsettled people it would have been done.

So really you have to wonder which is worth more Bad Finger or Stink Finger lol.
I think I read something about the Texans' GM or someone in charge being a pretty hard-core Bible thumper. Maybe Jesus tells him to take Russell for Watson straight up

No Trade Claus.......

jeremiah

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":29vsgq5t said:
Rat":29vsgq5t said:
I wouldnt say he's leaving as much as I think he's just setting it up to not look like he had any influence on the decision if he is moved. Honestly, that's a smart move. He's the Michael Scott of the NFL: he NEEDS to be liked. He doesnt want a Brett Favre situation where the fan praise he spent forever soaking up turns against him.

The best thing we can hope for is to trade for draft choices.....then draft choices, and more draft choices. I don't care if we leave the team empty of valued veterans. It is time to get rid of the old, in with the new...including Pete and anyone else making bank. The team may suck for 5 years, but with the right coach and some luck we will have a revival that includes O line players who will stay around for years and gel as a unit. There are ALWAYS good QBs for hire, just finding great ones that is tough. RW will look great in a Denver Uni....prediction

toffee

Reaction score
Pete truly truly messed this one up, if he didn't, 12s would have given Russ a standing O last weekend when he came back with the Bears as their QB. And we would have Marc Jones managing games for us. I meant Russ OKed the Bears trade, Schneider OKed it. But NO, ole Pete just want to love Russ for one more year.

Tell me, did Russ get a standing O last weekend?

flv

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2rsod0a7 said:
I think we still have 25 mil in dead money. They might want to wait one more year.

This years QB draft class looks bad unless some of the juniors declare. Free agency is usually a poor place to find a starting QB.
There is $26M id dead money. $13M will count in 2022 regardless of what happens with Wilson. If Wilson is cut or traded before the scheduled June 2nd date the remaining $13M will accelerate into the 2022 cap calculation. If he isn't cut or traded before the scheduled date the remaining $13M will count in 2023. The cap hit can't be avoided, it can only be delayed. Wilson is due to earn $24M in 2022 and $27M in 2023.

chris98251

Reaction score
jeremiah":3gh1er2c said:
OrangeGravy":3gh1er2c said:
Rat":3gh1er2c said:

The best thing we can hope for is to trade for draft choices.....then draft choices, and more draft choices. I don't care if we leave the team empty of valued veterans. It is time to get rid of the old, in with the new...including Pete and anyone else making bank. The team may suck for 5 years, but with the right coach and some luck we will have a revival that includes O line players who will stay around for years and gel as a unit. There are ALWAYS good QBs for hire, just finding great ones that is tough. RW will look great in a Denver Uni....prediction

So do what Ken Behring did, are we moving to Anaheim also?

toffee

Reaction score
flv":35u9hvhc said:
HawkNuts":35u9hvhc said:
I think we still have 25 mil in dead money. They might want to wait one more year.

This years QB draft class looks bad unless some of the juniors declare. Free agency is usually a poor place to find a starting QB.
There is $26M id dead money. $13M will count in 2022 regardless of what happens with Wilson. If Wilson is cut or traded before the scheduled June 2nd date the remaining $13M will accelerate into the 2022 cap calculation. If he isn't cut or traded before the scheduled date the remaining $13M will count in 2023. The cap hit can't be avoided, it can only be delayed. Wilson is due to earn $24M in 2022 and $27M in 2023.

I am ignorant on cap stuff, so educate me. What if Russ was traded and the team traded for him is willing to take over his contract? Say he was traded to the Saints with his contract, will we still have to pay or the Saints' will pay? If Saints pays, do we still take a hit on cap?

Mjolnir

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":134c6fjn said:
Mjolnir":134c6fjn said:
My 2 cents: Russ and Pete are back for one more year to see how it goes. The drama, the circumstances, and the results of this season is most likely seen as an anomaly (cue it those of you who argue it has been going in for many seasons).

There's a difference between what you think is going to happen, and what you want to happen.

You're right, it's a very real possibility that Jody gives Pete one or two more years to turn it around, and once again Pete and John convince Russell it'll be different next year.

They hold the leverage, he has two more years on his deal. So if they're 100% dead set on keeping Russell, he really has no leverage to force a trade. Unless he wants to make this really ugly by holding out into the season.

But like we saw last year with Rodgers who wanted a divorce, NFL QB's making 35M a year aren't very excited about missing 2.1M game checks.

Ah yes.

This is what I "think" will happen, i.e. Pete and Russ stay for one more year, one more try.

I'm one who simply doesn't care how it goes. I will be entertained by this "game" no matter what happens. Yes...I was even entertained by teams in the Ken Behring era, entertained by the Holmgren era, AND entertained with the Carrol era. I was entertained with QBs before Russ and I will be when he goes. I am a fan of football in the end, and if my favorite team happens to do well, all the better. If not, I'm still supporting them.

Of course I get pissed at "dumb", "boneheaded" gaffs by the coaching staff or the players. But that is the wonderment of each season. If doing bad (like they are now), are there glimpses of improvement or some element to enjoy (Penny, Lockett)?

Change always happens. Sometimes you can keep the machine going even during change...but change will hit everything sooner or later. If not now, then maybe in a year.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":kywgev6y said:
OrangeGravy":kywgev6y said:
chris98251":kywgev6y said:
TwistedHusky":kywgev6y said:

No Trade Claus.......
Maybe that Jesus connection is enough to convince Russell also

LoyalRam

Reaction score
flv":1gnpnj6z said:
HawkNuts":1gnpnj6z said:

Fitz-Harvard is the answer! I can just see that flowing beard, offset by green and blue. Let RW free and bring in your destiny, Seattle: Ryan Fitzpatrick….

flv

Reaction score
toffee":3du8zs4e said:
I am ignorant on cap stuff, so educate me. What if Russ was traded and the team traded for him is willing to take over his contract? Say he was traded to the Saints with his contract, will we still have to pay or the Saints' will pay? If Saints pays, do we still take a hit on cap?
Technically you don't trade a player, you trade for a player's remaining contract. Wilson was paid $65M as a signing bonus in his current deal. All money paid will have to be accounted for, (in cap terms), by the team that paid it - IE the Seahawks. It is unavoidable. There is $26M left to be accounted for. $13M will be accounted for in 2022. The remaining $13M is scheduled to be accounted for in 2023, but this will accelerate into the 2022 cap calculation if Wilson is not on the Seahawks roster as of the scheduled June 2nd date in 2022, (which confusingly for fans is sometime in May).

Wilson is contracted to earn $24M in 2022. Whichever team he is with in 2022 will be responsible for paying him money due in what remains of his contract, and accounting for it under the cap. Thus if Wilson were to be traded on the opening day of the new NFL year in March that acquiring team would be responsible for the $24M. The Seahawks future dead money cap hit would then accelerate from 2023 into 2022. The Seahawks would then have $11M more cap space available in 2022 and $13M more in 2023.

Wilson is due $5M of the $24M as a roster bonus on the 5th day of the new NFL year. If he is still on the roster at that time the Seahawks will be responsible for paying and cap accounting for that bonus, even if Wilson is later traded. If they were to be responsible for it it ought to push up any trade price.

flv

Reaction score
LoyalRam":c6hw5p5v said:
Fitz-Harvard is the answer! I can just see that flowing beard, offset by green and blue. Let RW free and bring in your destiny, Seattle: Ryan Fitzpatrick….
...or maybe Sean Mannion, or possibly even...Jimmy Garoppolo!

toffee

Reaction score
flv":3nnz7zqt said:
toffee":3nnz7zqt said:
Technically you don't trade a player, you trade for a player's remaining contract. Wilson was paid $65M as a signing bonus in his current deal. All money paid will have to be accounted for, (in cap terms), by the team that paid it - IE the Seahawks. It is unavoidable. There is $26M left to be accounted for. $13M will be accounted for in 2022. The remaining $13M is scheduled to be accounted for in 2023, but this will accelerate into the 2022 cap calculation if Wilson is not on the Seahawks roster as of the scheduled June 2nd date in 2022, (which confusingly for fans is sometime in May).

Wilson is contracted to earn $24M in 2022. Whichever team he is with in 2022 will be responsible for paying him money due in what remains of his contract, and accounting for it under the cap. Thus if Wilson were to be traded on the opening day of the new NFL year in March that acquiring team would be responsible for the $24M. The Seahawks future dead money cap hit would then accelerate from 2023 into 2022. The Seahawks would then have $11M more cap space available in 2022 and $13M more in 2023.

Wilson is due $5M of the $24M as a roster bonus on the 5th day of the new NFL year. If he is still on the roster at that time the Seahawks will be responsible for paying and cap accounting for that bonus, even if Wilson is later traded. If they were to be responsible for it it ought to push up any trade price.

Thx dude, should one understand that salary could be taken over by the new team but signing bonus regardless of payment terms, stays with the original team?

ie Team A signed a player to 4 years at $1 mil per year, totally 4 mil; but there's a $2mil bonus for signing, payable $0.8 mil upon signing and rest evenly from year 2 - 4 at $0.3 mil per year. If that player's traded to Team B after year 1; Team B will assume his salary for year 2 to 4 on original contract which would be $3 mil. But the remain signing bonus, in this case $1.2 mil stays with Team A?

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
My prediction for next year that will make heads here explode:

Wilson - Back in 2022
Pete - Back in 2022
Schneider - Back in 2022
Waldron - Back in 2022
Norton - Seeking employment elsewhere in 2022

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qyvifwz said:
Mjolnir":1qyvifwz said:
My 2 cents: Russ and Pete are back for one more year to see how it goes. The drama, the circumstances, and the results of this season is most likely seen as an anomaly (cue it those of you who argue it has been going in for many seasons).

There's a difference between what you think is going to happen, and what you want to happen.

You're right, it's a very real possibility that Jody gives Pete one or two more years to turn it around, and once again Pete and John convince Russell it'll be different next year.

They hold the leverage, he has two more years on his deal. So if they're 100% dead set on keeping Russell, he really has no leverage to force a trade. Unless he wants to make this really ugly by holding out into the season.

But like we saw last year with Rodgers who wanted a divorce, NFL QB's making 35M a year aren't very excited about missing 2.1M game checks.

I would say that makes a whole lot of since...I also think a telling sign is going to be if the Hawks draft or trade for another QB this next draft. I would...and I wouldn't be shy about it...

LTH

Donn2390

Reaction score
toffee":1szta640 said:
Mjolnir":1szta640 said:
I'm most likely in the minority on this board with my opinions given everything I've been reading here.
Makes me wonder if the general fan base feels like what .net feels, or is it just a very vocal minority.

It's all good though. This is what freedom is and feels like. I love it when people feel free to express themselves no matter what or who it might piss off. Good for all of you. Just remember we are all fans of this team. Some will say they aren't anymore if things continue the way it has been....but I know deep inside you do and will root for this team.

Last off-season:

Russell was:
Please release me, let me go
For I don't love you anymore
Her lips are warm while yours are cold
Release me, my Carroll, let me go

Pete was:
Pass the ball for me one more time
Ten years just isn't enough for my heart to hear
Wha-ha-ha, pass it for me one more year
I can never see enough while I got ya near

In the end, Pete vetoed the Chicago trade, after Russ signed off on it, both GM signed off on it, both ownership signed off on it. Ciara home hunted in Windy city, ole Pete just need one more time.
A wild imagination can be a wonderful thing,.... or not...!!

chris98251

Reaction score
Didn't format how I wanted but here is the list without a trade.

PLAYER (38) POS. AGE FROM TO GP SNAPS PAYDS PATD RUYDS RUTD INT FUM 2021 AAV STATUS MARKET VALUE
Brandon Allen QB 29.2 CIN TBD 4 36 13 1 -4 $1,500,000 UFA -
Kyle Allen QB 25.8 WAS TBD 2 37 120 1 11 1 $850,000 RFA -
Matt Barkley QB 31.2 ATL TBD $1,075,000 UFA -
Kurt Benkert QB 26.4 GB TBD 1 2 -1 $36,800 ERFA -
David Blough QB 26.4 DET TBD 1 4 6 1 $762,500 RFA -
Tim Boyle QB 27.2 DET TBD 3 116 264 1 3 $2,500,000 UFA -
Teddy Bridgewater QB 29.1 DEN TBD 14 844 3,052 18 106 2 7 1 $4,437,000 UFA -
Jacoby Brissett QB 29.0 MIA TBD 10 375 1,283 5 70 1 4 6 $5,000,000 UFA -
Andy Dalton QB 34.2 CHI TBD 6 265 1,017 6 55 6 1 $10,000,000 UFA -
Chase Daniel QB 35.2 LAC TBD 1 5 -2 $1,075,000 UFA -
Joshua Dobbs QB 26.9 PIT TBD $1,040,000 UFA -
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB 39.1 WAS TBD 1 16 13 2 1 $10,000,000 UFA -
Joe Flacco QB 36.9 NYJ TBD 2 66 338 3 3 1 $3,500,000 UFA -
Nick Foles QB 32.9 CHI TBD 1 74 250 1 8 1 $8,000,000 UFA -
Blaine Gabbert QB 32.2 TB TBD 5 35 67 -6 $2,000,000 UFA -
Mike Glennon QB 32.0 NYG TBD 5 259 766 4 20 1 8 2 $1,375,000 UFA -
Dwayne Haskins QB 24.6 PIT TBD $850,000 RFA -
Chad Henne QB 36.5 KC TBD 4 31 82 2 $1,625,000 UFA -
Brian Hoyer QB 36.2 NE TBD 4 28 164 1 -9 $1,075,000 UFA -
Sean Mannion QB 29.7 MIN TBD $990,000 UFA -
Marcus Mariota QB 28.2 LV TBD 7 12 48 1 $3,500,000 UFA -
A.J. McCarron QB 31.2 ATL TBD $1,212,500 UFA -
Colt McCoy QB 35.2 ARI TBD 8 209 740 3 37 1 4 $1,212,500 UFA -
Cam Newton QB 32.6 CAR TBD 6 250 684 4 225 5 5 4 $6,000,000 UFA -
Ben Roethlisberger QB 39.8 PIT TBD 14 919 3,373 20 10 1 8 10 $14,000,000 UFA -
Josh Rosen QB 24.8 ATL TBD 4 26 19 2 $850,000 RFA -
Brett Rypien QB 25.4 DEN TBD $762,500 RFA -
Trevor Siemian QB 30.0 NO TBD 5 313 1,083 9 21 1 3 2 $990,000 UFA -
Kyle Sloter QB 27.8 MIN TBD $920,000 UFA -
Geno Smith QB 31.2 SEA TBD 4 203 702 5 42 1 1 1 $1,212,500 UFA -
Chris Streveler QB 26.9 ARI TBD 2 24 36 6 1 $55,200 UFA -
Tyrod Taylor QB 32.3 HOU TBD 6 323 966 5 151 3 5 3 $5,500,000 UFA -
Mitchell Trubisky QB 27.3 BUF TBD 5 28 28 27 1 1 $2,500,000 UFA -
Phillip Walker QB 26.8 CAR TBD 5 126 362 1 13 3 3 $782,500 RFA -
Mike White QB 26.8 NYJ TBD 4 211 953 5 -1 8 $850,000 RFA -
Jameis Winston QB 27.9 NO TBD 7 371 1,170 14 166 1 3 2 $5,500,000

flv

Reaction score
toffee":1bmsm106 said:
Thx dude, should one understand that salary could be taken over by the new team but signing bonus regardless of payment terms, stays with the original team?

ie Team A signed a player to 4 years at $1 mil per year, totally 4 mil; but there's a $2mil bonus for signing, payable $0.8 mil upon signing and rest evenly from year 2 - 4 at $0.3 mil per year. If that player's traded to Team B after year 1; Team B will assume his salary for year 2 to 4 on original contract which would be $3 mil. But the remain signing bonus, in this case $1.2 mil stays with Team A?
Signing bonuses are accounted for over the length of a contract, (up to a maximum of 5 years), with an equal distribution in each year. If a player receives a $2M signing bonus on a 4 year contract the team will account will account for 1/4 of the signing bonus in each year. If the player was traded before being paid any other money the team that paid him the signing bonus would be responsible for the cap accounting of the bonus and the team that traded for him would be responsible for any future money that the player received. The dead money from the signing bonus would accelerate into the earliest available cap year.

Signing bonuses are normally paid 'on signing'. However, this is not an absolute as with Wilson his signing bonus was paid over a 2 year period. However it still had to be accounted for as a single signing bonus, with equal cap accounting over a 5 year period.

TraderGary

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":3271c5o9 said:
My prediction for next year that will make heads here explode:

Wilson - Back in 2022
Pete - Back in 2022
Schneider - Back in 2022
Waldron - Back in 2022
Norton - Seeking employment elsewhere in 2022
I put the odds of Wilson and Pete both being back next year at < 5%. I just don't see it happening. They clearly don't see eye-to-eye and simply cannot coexist any longer. One or both will be gone next year IMO.