Wilson Vague on his Future

Mjolnir

Reaction score
I'm most likely in the minority on this board with my opinions given everything I've been reading here.
Makes me wonder if the general fan base feels like what .net feels, or is it just a very vocal minority.

It's all good though. This is what freedom is and feels like. I love it when people feel free to express themselves no matter what or who it might piss off. Good for all of you. Just remember we are all fans of this team. Some will say they aren't anymore if things continue the way it has been....but I know deep inside you do and will root for this team.

My 2 cents: Russ and Pete are back for one more year to see how it goes. The drama, the circumstances, and the results of this season is most likely seen as an anomaly (cue it those of you who argue it has been going in for many seasons).

toffee

Reaction score
Mjolnir":vl97nbpw said:
I'm most likely in the minority on this board with my opinions given everything I've been reading here.
Makes me wonder if the general fan base feels like what .net feels, or is it just a very vocal minority.

It's all good though. This is what freedom is and feels like. I love it when people feel free to express themselves no matter what or who it might piss off. Good for all of you. Just remember we are all fans of this team. Some will say they aren't anymore if things continue the way it has been....but I know deep inside you do and will root for this team.

My 2 cents: Russ and Pete are back for one more year to see how it goes. The drama, the circumstances, and the results of this season is most likely seen as an anomaly (cue it those of you who argue it has been going in for many seasons).

Last off-season:

Russell was:
Please release me, let me go
For I don't love you anymore
Her lips are warm while yours are cold
Release me, my Carroll, let me go

Pete was:
Pass the ball for me one more time
Ten years just isn't enough for my heart to hear
Wha-ha-ha, pass it for me one more year
I can never see enough while I got ya near

In the end, Pete vetoed the Chicago trade, after Russ signed off on it, both GM signed off on it, both ownership signed off on it. Ciara home hunted in Windy city, ole Pete just need one more time.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is gone. Last year he started the divorce, this offseason it will be final. It happens, life goes on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mjolnir":1fx2ma29 said:

There's a difference between what you think is going to happen, and what you want to happen.

You're right, it's a very real possibility that Jody gives Pete one or two more years to turn it around, and once again Pete and John convince Russell it'll be different next year.

They hold the leverage, he has two more years on his deal. So if they're 100% dead set on keeping Russell, he really has no leverage to force a trade. Unless he wants to make this really ugly by holding out into the season.

But like we saw last year with Rodgers who wanted a divorce, NFL QB's making 35M a year aren't very excited about missing 2.1M game checks.

Rat

Reaction score
I wouldnt say he's leaving as much as I think he's just setting it up to not look like he had any influence on the decision if he is moved. Honestly, that's a smart move. He's the Michael Scott of the NFL: he NEEDS to be liked. He doesnt want a Brett Favre situation where the fan praise he spent forever soaking up turns against him.

toffee

Reaction score
One more time:

Russell Wilson SIGNED OFF on the trade to Chicago. He initiated the trade by expressing his unhappiness, followed up with naming 4 teams, then signed off on trade to Bears.

Nothing vague there, do you really think 2021 season is making him happier to stay?

rcaido

Reaction score
toffee":qa9xhe0t said:
One more time:

Russell Wilson SIGNED OFF on the trade to Chicago. He initiated the trade by expressing his unhappiness, followed up with naming 4 teams, then signed off on trade to Bears.

Nothing vague there, do you really think 2021 season is making him happier to stay?

He did? Got a link for that?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
rcaido":b3hasqu7 said:
toffee":b3hasqu7 said:
One more time:

He did? Got a link for that?
I think when his camp says he’ll go to these four teams. It can’t get more clear than that.

Wilson also never denied saying the report was false.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Love what RW has brought to Seattle, but I believe he wants the hell out of there NOW.
Going back to around the middle of last season, it appeared to me that something changed in his whole demeanor, he looked unsure of himself & became more hesitant in his decision making, holding onto the ball too long, trying to make big plays, instead of taking what was there for him.
I don't know exactly what caused the fissure between Russ, Pete & the organization, but I do know that SOME of the blame for the widening chasm, lies on BOTH sides.
I believe Wilson IS wondering if a different Coaching philosophy might be what he needs to help maneuver him through his slump, & he might be right, but I do know that he doesn't have the answers as for why things have only gotten worse over the last couple of years, but I believe that some of his woes are of his own making.
Depending too much on throwing haymakers without setting them up with the meat & potato plays to get you there?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not sure what people expect.

Last year, the 'Let Russ Cook' was a WARNING.

A warning Pete did not heed or just disregarded as he seems to have turtled up in the 2nd half of the season.

Russ started this year asking for Offensive line help, specifically mentioning how getting hit impacted his health.

He was dragged for it, and the team began a slow leak campaign at the same time after he shined a light on how the team disregarded his input.

(Of course, instead of getting him the OL help he asked for - we spend our draft pick on the kind of player Pete always loves, those guys that remind him of someone else...clearly Pete going for Harvin Redux)

Wilson was more important than Pete and Pete clamped down on that immediately.

Then we start the season, win a game against a good team, almost beat another good team and then throttle back our offense to PeteBall again. Then our godawful OL allows pressure, and he gets injured. As he warned might happen!

Would YOU want to stick around for more of this?

Of course, Wilson is going to refuse to extend and that is going to pressure the team to trade him.

Nothing is vague about this. He has been making it clear he is not happy with how things are going for at least 2 years.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think we still have 25 mil in dead money. They might want to wait one more year.

This years QB draft class looks bad unless some of the juniors declare. Free agency is usually a poor place to find a starting QB.

olyfan63

Reaction score
toffee":sjmk5vs0 said:
One more time:

The irony being that then Chicago beat us with their 3rd string QB. Yes, it was Nick Foles, SB Champ, but he was and IS their 3rd string QB.

I think Russell staying here this year and underperforming is a major hit to his trade value. Last year's offer from the Bears and others was probably the high water mark for his trade value.

Russell could go elsewhere and be their difference-maker franchise QB, but I'd say it's more like his mid-30s look closer to those of Dave Krieg's post-Seahawks career. See https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ieDa00.htm and look at Krieg's 1992-98 seasons. Krieg had one good year with the Chiefs in 1992, starting 16 games and going 10-6. The next year, Krieg was relegated to being a situational backup and went 18W-24L the remaining years, 1993-98. Why would it be much different for Russell Wilson, as his physical tools continue to decline? He also doesn't read defenses and get the ball out quickly at anywhere near an elite level. Best case for Wilson would be post-Packers Brett Favre who had one great 2009 12-4 season for the Vikings, then broke Vikings fans hearts with a dumb pick vs the Saints in the NFCCG. The next season, Favre went 5-8 the next season with 11 TDs and 19 picks, and then retired.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At this point, we might want to bite the bullet and do what we need to get Watson. Eat the bad PR and hope the winning offsets it. Watson is one of the few QBs we could drop into this system and expect to potentially still do well.

If he can avoid jail, which is certainly possible.

He won on the freaking Texans, he would probably flourish here.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2blh3mip said:
I think we still have 25 mil in dead money. They might want to wait one more year.

This years QB draft class looks bad unless some of the juniors declare. Free agency is usually a poor place to find a starting QB.
The quarterback class looks bad but it's a deep DL class with above average corners throughout. It will be a great draft IMO aside from the quarterback position which is still yet to be seen. That dead money goes away in a trade anyways so moot point guy. Why?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":t126aj3n said:

At the start of the season Wilson "offered to restructure" (yeah getting your bonus early makes you a real hero) so they could free up cap space but this would have pushed the cap hit into next season. The fact they took the cap hit this season is very telling for me.

Putting the FO and coaching issues to one side I'm done with Wilson in all honesty, he's fraction of the player he used to be, he plays scared (or at the least very conservative / within himself) and frankly he's not worth his current huge deal. He cant run and it was always this threat that was an extra dimension to his game, without it he is nothing.

Also, who needs the constant shenanigans? He is being advised poorly and I think Seahawk fans are starting to turn on him. He's a fake and fraud and he cares more about his endorsement deals and fake persona. Wilson needs to get over himself.

Mark Rogers, Ciara and Russell himself have ruined a good thing. Time to cut bait.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I gotta agree with you, UK. Russ has been coddled like a baby since at least 2016 when Sherm told him that he f-g sucked. Pete shielded all that, but Russ wanted more, to let him cook, if you only had this or that player we'd be so great.

I think that by last year, Russ KNEW he wasn't going to do that, not with pro-bowl worthy receivers plus Duane on the roster. Not even with OBJ. He can't pull us out of these tight games anymore, and since 2016, that's been the plan.

We see it. More to the fact, Russ sees it. If he feels like a cornered animal by Pete for one more year, he's going to play like it.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":wme735c2 said:
HawkNuts":wme735c2 said:

At the start of the season Wilson "offered to restructure" (yeah getting your bonus early makes you a real hero) so they could free up cap space but this would have pushed the cap hit into next season. The fact they took the cap hit this season is very telling for me.

Putting the FO and coaching issues to one side I'm done with Wilson in all honesty, he's fraction of the player he used to be, he plays scared (or at the least very conservative / within himself) and frankly he's not worth his current huge deal. He cant run and it was always this threat that was an extra dimension to his game, without it he is nothing.

Also, who needs the constant shenanigans? He is being advised poorly and I think Seahawk fans are starting to turn on him. He's a fake and fraud and he cares more about his endorsement deals and fake persona. Wilson needs to get over himself.

Mark Rogers, Ciara and Russell himself have ruined a good thing. Time to cut bait.
Yep. In fact you hit the nail right on the head. Wilson has always been about himself. A 20% cap hit is insane. I can't wait til we move on from his bulshit he's not even a shell of his former self, he's worse.

Redsand187

Reaction score
olyfan63":3f8ivxnc said:
toffee":3f8ivxnc said:
I think Russell staying here this year and underperforming is a major hit to his trade value. Last year's offer from the Bears and others was probably the high water mark for his trade value.
This. And I think another year is only going to hurt it even more. They need to send him off ASAP and begin a full-on rebuilding. Even with the dead cap, they will free up a ton of money to build a better-rounded team.

Russ is a middle-of-the-pack QB getting top-of-the-pack money and his performance is trending downward. Paying him an additional $51 million over 2 years, trying to justify the $26 million you already gave him for the next 2 years is stupid. That money can help build a better team.

It will be interesting how Jody will handle this. I think if she actually looks at it like a real business deal, then Russ is already gone as soon as the season is over. Paul may have been the true billionaire, but Jody sat beside him the entire way, there is no way she makes a dumb business move. A risky one, maybe, but not just giving away millions of dollars for subpar performance.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":35c3kvds said:
At this point, we might want to bite the bullet and do what we need to get Watson. Eat the bad PR and hope the winning offsets it. Watson is one of the few QBs we could drop into this system and expect to potentially still do well.

If he can avoid jail, which is certainly possible.

He won on the freaking Texans, he would probably flourish here.

I think I read he has reached settlement terms with all but three to this point.

But now you have to look at what the Texans are asking or will ask, what we can get for Wilson and if the two trade situations will work. Texans are asking the moon at the moment and almost got it twice, Miami and another team but for those three unsettled people it would have been done.

So really you have to wonder which is worth more Bad Finger or Stink Finger lol.