Wilson had some good points, score early play high tempo...

Tokadub

Reaction score
What I heard from Wilson after this loss was he wanted to play more aggressively early, and he wanted to go more up tempo...

If you look at the history of Wilson in 2 minute drives when there is no time to get detailed play calls (mostly under Bevell)... HE WAS AT HIS BEST PLAYING FAST AND JUST RIPPING DEFENSES UP EFFORTLESSLY AND ON A REGULAR BASIS.

There is a reason why Wilson is at the top of the league with 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives...

It seems to me we made an effort to slow the offense down to artificially help our time of possession... I think that was a HUGE coaching mistake... we could of had way more time of possession by just letting Russell do his thing and we get more first downs...

We shot ourselves in the foot with going for every snap at 1-3 seconds remaining... defenses are ready... that's not Russell's strength...

I thought it was very clear with the winning teams in the Divisional Round they were playing an unpredictable tempo... given Russell's insanely successful history of playing up tempo... I gotta blame the coaches for this slow approach... it was not a wise decision.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's part of the reason Schotty is gone. When most fans have a clear sense of strengths that are inexplicably not employed, that's an issue to me. Not because we fans profess to know better than a paid professional coach but there comes a time when common sense has to enter the equation.

Russell has mentioned quicker tempo for years. Why wasn't that a part of our game plan? I understand that you can't run a 2 minute offense all game long but a quicker overall tempo offense could have done a lot of good. We all got tired of watching Russell snap the ball with 1 or 2 seconds left on the clock. Make the call, break the huddle and get up to the line of scrimmage, keep the defense on their heels.

It's just one glaring example of a disconnect between what we've heard Russell want, what we think we should do (more of) and a coaching staff that seems oblivious to make the proper adjustments.

You think WE are frustrated? On what planet is Russell going home at night not upset himself with the schemes and play calls?

TraderGary

Reaction score
That wasn't Schotty's fault. Snapping the ball with 1 to 3 seconds on the clock is a directive from Pete in an attempt to shorten the game and lessen the number of possessions the opposing offense gets.

But what it really does is give the opposing defense a head start by knowing when we're going to snap the ball. And it also contributes to our lack of rhythm and momentum on offense.

Just another one of Pete's glaring strategic weaknesses. One of many unfortunately.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Not sure about that Greg. In an article on The Athletic (I believe it's well worth the price of admission), Sheil Kapadia quoted Pete as saying:

"“I just wish we would’ve got the ball out quicker,” he said when asked specifically about the playoff loss. “I wish Russ would’ve got the ball out quicker when he had his opportunities, and when that wasn’t happening, I wish we would’ve given him more opportunities to force the ball out quicker. That’s a big second-guess watching the game.”

Carroll wants an offense that can win with the quick game, produce explosive plays downfield and run the ball efficiently. He thinks the quick game and the run game can force defenses to play more aggressively. And when they do that, the explosive plays should follow."

I'm of the opinion that the biggest problem was Schotty's inability to adjust to defenses. His running players deep, and having Russell take 7-Step drops (Per Jake Heaps), was the main problem. Defenses were all over that.

There are some caveats to this season too. We played some of the best defenses in the NFL this year. That wasn't so noticeable early on when Offensive Linemen could mug the DL and get away with it.

But then the Refs started calling it closer halfway through the season, and all of a sudden offenses drop off the edge.

John63

Reaction score
ivotuk":22cmlz3y said:
Not sure about that Greg. In an article on The Athletic (I believe it's well worth the price of admission), Sheil Kapadia quoted Pete as saying:

"“I just wish we would’ve got the ball out quicker,” he said when asked specifically about the playoff loss. “I wish Russ would’ve got the ball out quicker when he had his opportunities, and when that wasn’t happening, I wish we would’ve given him more opportunities to force the ball out quicker. That’s a big second-guess watching the game.”

Carroll wants an offense that can win with the quick game, produce explosive plays downfield and run the ball efficiently. He thinks the quick game and the run game can force defenses to play more aggressively. And when they do that, the explosive plays should follow."

I'm of the opinion that the biggest problem was Schotty's inability to adjust to defenses. His running players deep, and having Russell take 7-Step drops (Per Jake Heaps), was the main problem. Defenses were all over that.

There are some caveats to this season too. We played some of the best defenses in the NFL this year. That wasn't so noticeable early on when Offensive Linemen could mug the DL and get away with it.

But then the Refs started calling it closer halfway through the season, and all of a sudden offenses drop off the edge.

I'm of the opinion this is Pete throwing his Qb and his OC under the buss. Something he has done before. PC has said many times eh hates short passes. So that contradicts what he said in your quote. Also lets remember we were throwing quick passes games 1-5, but when Rb's got hurt PC, and he said it changed things. So basically PC is speaking out of both sides of this mouth. Further point PC changing the play to what was a stupid run. PC wants to run and throw long he has said it, and to cover his Arse he is now talking out of both sides of his mouth. Further, proof he said he want sot run more, and more efficiently and take shots. None of that says quick passes.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Aros":1x2tghdt said:
It's part of the reason Schotty is gone. When most fans have a clear sense of strengths that are inexplicably not employed, that's an issue to me. Not because we fans profess to know better than a paid professional coach but there comes a time when common sense has to enter the equation.

Russell has mentioned quicker tempo for years. Why wasn't that a part of our game plan? I understand that you can't run a 2 minute offense all game long but a quicker overall tempo offense could have done a lot of good. We all got tired of watching Russell snap the ball with 1 or 2 seconds left on the clock. Make the call, break the huddle and get up to the line of scrimmage, keep the defense on their heels.

It's just one glaring example of a disconnect between what we've heard Russell want, what we think we should do (more of) and a coaching staff that seems oblivious to make the proper adjustments.

You think WE are frustrated? On what planet is Russell going home at night not upset himself with the schemes and play calls?
Yep, it should have been obvious that Wilson fairs better in that situation, Coaches needed only to go back to the shoot-out win against Ben Roethlessbooger & the Steelers in 2016; I mean, does anyone actually think that Jarred Goff could have kept pace with Wilson?
Instead, Pete and or Schotty formulated a slow-down, and then were never able to catch up, playing to the Rams strengths, and and away from Wilsons'. :Dunno:

AgentDib

Reaction score
John63":v9rghra1 said:
I'm of the opinion this is Pete throwing his Qb and his OC under the buss. Something he has done before. PC has said many times eh hates short passes. So that contradicts what he said in your quote.
This is too much even for you. If Pete Carroll has done one thing over the years it is protecting his players and coaches by taking blame on himself. He's also never said that he doesn't like short passes.

John63

Reaction score
AgentDib":3vhifbf4 said:
John63":3vhifbf4 said:
I'm of the opinion this is Pete throwing his Qb and his OC under the buss. Something he has done before. PC has said many times eh hates short passes. So that contradicts what he said in your quote.
This is too much even for you. If Pete Carroll has done one thing over the years it is protecting his players and coaches by taking blame on himself. He's also never said that he doesn't like short passes.

He had Done that. Up until he let bevel.go, since then he has called out Players, blamed them for stuff and yes he did say he hates short passes.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":1si865x4 said:
AgentDib":1si865x4 said:
John63":1si865x4 said:

He had Done that. Up until he let bevel.go, since then he has called out Players, blamed them for stuff and yes he did say he hates short passes.

Can you link it for us? I know he doesn't prefer heavily passing over the middle due to turnover risk, but I haven't heard him specifically express distaste for short passing.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3qe4n6zd said:
John63":3qe4n6zd said:
AgentDib":3qe4n6zd said:
John63":3qe4n6zd said:

Can you link it for us? I know he doesn't prefer heavily passing over the middle due to turnover risk, but I haven't heard him specifically express distaste for short passing.

Well a good portion of Wilsons pick 6's have been off Bubble screens and the defense seeing it and just stepping in front of the receiver.

AgentDib

Reaction score
John63":2kmedk33 said:
yes he did say he hates short passes.
You have said he hates short passes so often that I suspect you've forgotten that you were the original source. Pete has had an effective short passing game multiple times at USC, and here with the Hawks in 2015. Although even then it's not his passing game, because he's an ex-DB coach who coaches defense and motivates players, and doesn't come up with offensive game plans.

Pete wants his offense to avoid turnovers, which puts him in the same category as most head coaches and every defensive head coach ever. Because he approaches the game as a defensive coach, he also likes it when his offense stays balanced and takes the occasional deep shot. He knows that's what makes life tough on his defense, and the occasional deep shot opens up the game for effective runs and safer short passes.

A short safe passing game is a defensive head coaches' best friend because that keeps the offense on the field and in control of the ball, it keeps third downs manageable, and lets them pick up first downs while avoiding unnecessary risks. Having the opposing defense play Cover 2/4/6 is a good thing in that perspective, and our inability to take advantage of that is why Pete was unhappy with the offense. A short risky passing game is unacceptable at every level of football.

Latest posts