Wilson #5 Ranking the Top 50 Quarterbacks from 2014

Fade

Reaction score
With Jimmy Graham Wilson's numbers are going to spike, and we're going to hear that NOW he is elite. When in reallty he is just doing what he does. The talent just got better around him.

People forget this but Tom Brady used to be called a game manager, and it was his team. Peyton Manning was clearly the better QB they would say, and then NE acquired Randy Moss.

Some people have trouble reading between the lines, they need it spelled out for them so to speak.

in4dF4IAoFonQ.gif

Going left who else can make this play?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Fade":148va7j0 said:
With Jimmy Graham Wilson's numbers are going to spike, and we're going to hear that NOW he is elite. When in reallty he is just doing what he does. The talent just got better around him.

People forget this but Tom Brady used to be called a game manager, and it was his team. Peyton Manning was clearly the better QB they would say, and then NE acquired Randy Moss.

Some people have trouble reading between the lines, they need it spelled out for them so to speak.

in4dF4IAoFonQ.gif

I just can't see this offense putting up the attempts in the passing game that will get Russell into that discussion. Jimmy Graham will absolutely help the passing game, but the identity of this team is still defense and #24 pounding you for four quarters.

Brady also had Wes Welker in his prime on that offense and an OC that wanted to throw it relentlessly. But I do agree immensely in the comparison of Brady early on with Wilson. They are very similar QB's in that regard.

grizbob

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":bgscl4di said:
scutterhawk":bgscl4di said:
Hasselbeck":bgscl4di said:
scutterhawk":bgscl4di said:
How ANYONE could watch this and not call him an "ELITE" Quarterback, and that it undeniably proves he's a 5/5.
And too, there are lots of nobody's foolishly making claims, that he could be easily replaced, if he doesn't cave to the Front Office in negotiations SMH.

Because there's more to being ELITE than running around making defenders look silly?

Of course I am the type that is really picky with that terminology. Wilson is great, but I think Rodgers is elite.

When Wilson is consistently great in the passing game (you know, the biggest thing QB's do...) then sure.. the elite thing can be considered. He's not there yet though. May never be. And that's fine, he's already proven he's capable enough in that department to win a Super Bowl and come a yard away from another one.

Too many people are obsessed with greatest ever, elite, Top 5, Top 10, bla bla bla. Russell Wilson is a very good player and thats all that really needs to be said.
I'm not obsessed with him being considered an "ELITE", because he's already proven that he is.
He's done a hell of a lot more than "Running around making defenders look silly", You're omitting the fact that he also tallied up nearly 900 Yards in all that "Running around" last Season.
Wilson has come out the other side of a lot of broken plays with more success than the other top 4 Quarterbacks have, and let's be honest, Rodgers got hurt trying to make a play that Wilson has been making look pedestrian.
It's RW's abilities to scramble, and buy time for his non #1 Receivers to get open is something that has netted him two consecutive Super Bowl appearances, in a row, with one of those being a win, therefore, Wilson's ability to get there in just his first 3 Years in the League, and you don't consider him "ELITE" ? sorry, but I just don't happen to agree with your assessment.

Running for 900 yards in a season is great, doesn't make him an elite quarterback though. Michael Vick would do that. Would you label him as elite back in the day?

Russell needs improvement in the passing game to be considered elite (or Top 2-3 in the game). Period. It's his abilities to scramble that mask a lot of things he needs to work on as a thrower too. Especially considering, running QB's do not have long shelf lives.

I wouldn't call him elite either, yet, but you can call him a winner. I REALLY like the kid because he aspires to be great, is aware of his weaknesses and puts in the work. He also happens to have more hair than Matthew :D

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
grizbob":i25ugg9n said:
I wouldn't call him elite either, yet, but you can call him a winner. I REALLY like the kid because he aspires to be great, is aware of his weaknesses and puts in the work. He also happens to have more hair than Matthew :D

Exactly.

grizbob

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3f778kiy said:
grizbob":3f778kiy said:

Exactly.

And some day he may have the same passer rating as the guy in your avatar :th2thumbs:

PackerNation

Reaction score
Fade":3tr5j3c5 said:

in4dF4IAoFonQ.gif

I agree with you that Wilson's numbers will go up as the talent around him gets better. He would have even better numbers if he had a WR or a combination of great WR's that could do a better job getting separation. The reason Wilson hangs on to the ball longer than any other QB is probably a combination of his OL and his WR corp.

I have never really heard of Brady referred to as a game manager. He has been a pretty solid QB from his first start and through the years. He does manage a game well but he has some great playmaking ability that compliments the guys around him. When I think "game manager", I think Trent Dilfer.

Going left is pretty tough for a QB and not many can do it. Our guy can:

Window2.gif

I don't think Wilson gets enough credit for his passing attempts in under 2.5 seconds. He is 182-245 for a 113.2 Passer rating. Wilson throws quick passes well and maximizes his time under pressure to make big plays. Not sure why some don't see him as elite.

Fade

Reaction score
At ^Above^

In Brady's early career critics referred to him as a game manager that was clutch in critical moments, but he was incapable of carrying an offense like Peyton Manning. Until Moss happened.

Yep. Rodgers, and Wilson are the best scrambling while keeping their eyes down field.

You got a play of Rodgers shaking an unblocked running full speed blitzing safety out of his cleats, and delivering a strike?

This play is Rodgers sliding and moving to his left against a 4 man rush and delivering a strike.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The funny thing is Wilson does it constantly when there's a free rusher in his face, he makes them look silly. If we had gifs to this thread of wilson scrambling making plays it would probably fill up two pages even more. It's hard enough to throw it while running and not many wants to give Wilson any credit on that unique skillset.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3tvbbyks said:
scutterhawk":3tvbbyks said:
Hasselbeck":3tvbbyks said:
scutterhawk":3tvbbyks said:
How ANYONE could watch this and not call him an "ELITE" Quarterback, and that it undeniably proves he's a 5/5.
And too, there are lots of nobody's foolishly making claims, that he could be easily replaced, if he doesn't cave to the Front Office in negotiations SMH.

Because there's more to being ELITE than running around making defenders look silly?

Of course I am the type that is really picky with that terminology. Wilson is great, but I think Rodgers is elite.

When Wilson is consistently great in the passing game (you know, the biggest thing QB's do...) then sure.. the elite thing can be considered. He's not there yet though. May never be. And that's fine, he's already proven he's capable enough in that department to win a Super Bowl and come a yard away from another one.

Too many people are obsessed with greatest ever, elite, Top 5, Top 10, bla bla bla. Russell Wilson is a very good player and thats all that really needs to be said.
I'm not obsessed with him being considered an "ELITE", because he's already proven that he is.
He's done a hell of a lot more than "Running around making defenders look silly", You're omitting the fact that he also tallied up nearly 900 Yards in all that "Running around" last Season.
Wilson has come out the other side of a lot of broken plays with more success than the other top 4 Quarterbacks have, and let's be honest, Rodgers got hurt trying to make a play that Wilson has been making look pedestrian.
It's RW's abilities to scramble, and buy time for his non #1 Receivers to get open is something that has netted him two consecutive Super Bowl appearances, in a row, with one of those being a win, therefore, Wilson's ability to get there in just his first 3 Years in the League, and you don't consider him "ELITE" ? sorry, but I just don't happen to agree with your assessment.

Running for 900 yards in a season is great, doesn't make him an elite quarterback though. Michael Vick would do that. Would you label him as elite back in the day?

Russell needs improvement in the passing game to be considered elite (or Top 2-3 in the game). Period. It's his abilities to scramble that mask a lot of things he needs to work on as a thrower too. Especially considering, running QB's do not have long shelf lives.

In 7 of Wilson's 16 games last year.. he didn't crack 200 yards passing. In those games, he only went over 100 yards rushing once (Giants) and outside of his 71 yards against the Chiefs, didn't eclipse 35 yards in any of the other games.

Then you look at Rodgers.. 4 times he didn't go over 200 yards passing, 3 of those resulted in losses.. the other he was done at half-time in a blowout over Minnesota. 8 times he went over 300 yards. 10 times over 250.

That's the difference between really good/great and elite. Not a knock on Russ at all, because 28.. 29.. 30 other teams would kill for Aaron Rodgers.. but Wilson is simply not there yet.

Ahh but then you look at the attempts and it put sit all in perspective. When given the same attempts as Rodgers Wilson ash shown he can put up the 300 yards, and that is without a top 10 wr corps.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Fade":1loupys6 said:
At ^Above^

In Brady's early career critics referred to him as a game manager that was clutch in critical moments, but he was incapable of carrying an offense like Peyton Manning. Until Moss happened.

Yep. Rodgers, and Wilson are the best scrambling while keeping their eyes down field.

You got a play of Rodgers shaking an unblocked running full speed blitzing safety out of his cleats, and delivering a strike.

This play is Rodgers sliding and moving to his left against a 4 man rush and delivering a strike.

Here is a good breakdown of why that play was so special:

http://allgbp.com/2015/01/15/a-breakdow ... e-packers/

Not exactly, but I do love this one:

rcobb.gif

and since you like Radiohead:

[youtube]AatLL_SI9Rw[/youtube]

Bombastic Sports

Reaction score
I'll take Wilson at five. When ranking quarterbacks, however, I think you only need to look at three stats: regular season wins, playoff wins, and Super Bowl wins.

The best part of the list is Kaepernick is number 23!!! He's behind Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, and Derrick Carr.

To me, the most egregious part of the list is Johnny Manizel is number 44.

From a team perspective this is a list you only want to be on once. Of the 12 playoff teams from 2014, only 3 have more than one quarterback on the list (Cowboys with two, Panthers with two, Cardinals with 3).

Bills, Cardinals, Jets, Redskins, Titans, and Vikings all have three quarterbacks on that list.

Fade

Reaction score
At PackerNation

The Rodgers play was special more for the throw than the scramble. -> good job sliding out of the pocket, sick throw into a tight window while going left.

The Wilson play was special more for the scramble than the throw. -> sick juke, nice throw.

[youtube]ZZhZdlkEEQE[/youtube]

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Bombastic Sports said:
I'll take Wilson at five. When ranking quarterbacks, however, I think you only need to look at three stats: regular season wins, playoff wins, and Super Bowl wins.
All of those are team achievements, not individual achievements. The QB has nothing at all to do with defense or special teams, yet a game could be won or lost by either of them - as any Packers fan can attest.

Fact is, football is a team sport, so you have to take all individual stats with a grain of salt. It's even worse, however, to place one player as THE cause of wins and losses. Sure the QB is an important position, but it's not everything.

Some pundits rate Wilson #5. Stats say we have the #10 scoring offense. But on the other side of the ball we have one of the top 3 defences in NFL history. The simplest answer is usually the right one, and the simplest answer is that our defence contributes to our wins.

Fade

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2bj4x3kn said:
Fade":2bj4x3kn said:

in4dF4IAoFonQ.gif

I just can't see this offense putting up the attempts in the passing game that will get Russell into that discussion. Jimmy Graham will absolutely help the passing game, but the identity of this team is still defense and #24 pounding you for four quarters.

Brady also had Wes Welker in his prime on that offense and an OC that wanted to throw it relentlessly. But I do agree immensely in the comparison of Brady early on with Wilson. They are very similar QB's in that regard.

Wilson won't need volume. Look at Tony Romo's season last year.

Tony Romo 2014
304/435 3,705 yards 34TDs and 9INTs

Russell Wilson 2014
285/452 3,475 yards 20TDs and 7INTs (+849 yards rushing and 6TDs)

Russell Wilson 2015 Forecast w/Jimmy Graham
295/450 3,650 yards 32TDs and 8INTs (+600 yards rushing and 4TDs)

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
McGruff":250yixxx said:
I think Spin Doctor is right on two things and wrong on the rest.

First, Russell does hold the ball longer than average, even without pressure. This is a function of two things. The first is scheme and the second is trust. We simply don't run a lot of outlet routes, quick hitches or slants. We run longer downfield and crossing route that take longer to develop. That's not his fault. But I do think his cautiousness sometimes causes him to doubt his own ability to hit tight windows and his receivers ability to go after the ball. He's got to develop this trust and learn to take the risk.

Second, his scrambling does make it difficult for his line to keep track of him. Just look at some of those scrambles posted above and watvch what the linemen have to go through, sometimes for 10-15 seconds. And they have to think about the LOS and not get too far beyond and get the penalty. Its pretty insane and the linemen themselves have admitted as much. They've had to adjust their mentality from blocking a spot and a count to staying with a man.

But I notice that people tend to use this word, "Symbiotic," and make it mean what it does not. We tend to use it about a partnership, but then use it to make a case why it is one side's fault and not the other's. Lynch and Wilson have a symbiotic effect on each other, therefore Wilson's success is all because of Lynch (or vice versa). The OL and QB have a symbiotic effect, therefore the stuggles in pass pro are all Wilson's fault and not the OL (or vice versa). That is not what symbiosis means. It means they effect each other, benefit each other, and are tied so closely to each other that sometimes its hard to tell how the effect works. Does Wilson get pressured more because he holds the ball too long, or is he holding the ball longer because he's scrambling from immediate pressure while looking downfield?

I will say this, so far the case Spin Doctor has made makes me wonder how Wilson has even survived in this league at all, much less broken every record possible for a 3rd year QB while leading us to three NFC championship games, 2 Superbowls and one World Championship. To hear him describe Wilson you'd think he was more like Curtis Painter than Joe Montana. So far we have the following criticisms:

1. He's inconsistent
2. He can't throw on the run
3. He's hesitant
4. He's inaccurate
5. He can't throw short passes
6. He doesn't see the field
7. He can't manage a pocket
8. He can't make pre-snap reads
9. He holds the ball too long
10. He plays reckless
11. He only throws one route

Seriously, if that was scouting report, this player wouldn't be employable on any level of football, and yet these are the things being said about Wilson in this thread alone. Some are valid. Some are distortions. Some are outright false. Many, however, can be attributed to the truly symbiotic relationship between coach, QB, line and receivers, and any reasonable fan would admit that our coaching is at least occasionally suspect, our line sucks at pass protection (they are built that way somewhat intentionally), and our receivers range from #3 types to fringe roster players. Sure, Wilson sometimes plays like a young QB, but let's not put any of this in a vacuum. Aside from Lynch, Wilson is playing with a short deck here.
First, Russell does hold the ball longer than average, even without pressure. This is a function of two things. The first is scheme and the second is trust. We simply don't run a lot of outlet routes, quick hitches or slants. We run longer downfield and crossing route that take longer to develop. That's not his fault. But I do think his cautiousness sometimes causes him to doubt his own ability to hit tight windows and his receivers ability to go after the ball. He's got to develop this trust and learn to take the risk.

Second, his scrambling does make it difficult for his line to keep track of him. Just look at some of those scrambles posted above and watvch what the linemen have to go through, sometimes for 10-15 seconds. And they have to think about the LOS and not get too far beyond and get the penalty. Its pretty insane and the linemen themselves have admitted as much. They've had to adjust their mentality from blocking a spot and a count to staying with a man.

But I notice that people tend to use this word, "Symbiotic," and make it mean what it does not. We tend to use it about a partnership, but then use it to make a case why it is one side's fault and not the other's. Lynch and Wilson have a symbiotic effect on each other, therefore Wilson's success is all because of Lynch (or vice versa). The OL and QB have a symbiotic effect, therefore the stuggles in pass pro are all Wilson's fault and not the OL (or vice versa). That is not what symbiosis means. It means they effect each other, benefit each other, and are tied so closely to each other that sometimes its hard to tell how the effect works. Does Wilson get pressured more because he holds the ball too long, or is he holding the ball longer because he's scrambling from immediate pressure while looking downfield?

I will say this, so far the case Spin Doctor has made makes me wonder how Wilson has even survived in this league at all, much less broken every record possible for a 3rd year QB while leading us to three NFC championship games, 2 Superbowls and one World Championship. To hear him describe Wilson you'd think he was more like Curtis Painter than Joe Montana. So far we have the following criticisms:

1. He's inconsistent
3. He's hesitant
4. He's inaccurate
10. He plays reckless

Seriously, if that was scouting report, this player wouldn't be employable on any level of football, and yet these are the things being said about Wilson in this thread alone. Some are valid. Some are distortions. Some are outright false. Many, however, can be attributed to the truly symbiotic relationship between coach, QB, line and receivers, and any reasonable fan would admit that our coaching is at least occasionally suspect, our line sucks at pass protection (they are built that way somewhat intentionally), and our receivers range from #3 types to fringe roster players. Sure, Wilson sometimes plays like a young QB, but let's not put any of this in a vacuum. Aside from Lynch, Wilson is playing with a short deck here.[/quote]
First off, I would like to mention that winning a superbowl is a team effort. Wilson is not the only reason why we are there, when people talk about his merits this inevitably comes up. Did he help? Absolutely, but he let us not forget that he was also on a great team.

Secondly I'm looking at the future. Usually when Quarterbacks get paid there is an equilibrium that occurs. Teams usually put more assets into protecting their investment, it's just the smart thing to do. This means more draft, and monetary capital is allocated to the offense. Will that destroy our defense? No, but we will no longer be able to field defenses of the same caliber. This means that more weight will naturally be shifted on Wilson's shoulders. My question is: How would Wilson respond to an increased workload? This is an important question to ask when you're paying your QB.

I ask this question because of David Garrard. Obviously Wilson is a better player, he's more dynamic, and he has better fundamentals, but I still see major holes in his game which will limit his ability as a volume passer if he needs to become one. I should also mention that Wilson is more clutch than Mr. Almost interception Garrard and did not contribute as much to the run game.

I'm specifically going to mention one season Garrard had, which was 2007. In that season he had a similar role to Russell Wilson. He played in a run dominated, play action offense. He was among the bottom of the league in attempts as well, but he put together a solid stat line, and the Jaguars coincidentally made it to the divisional round. They were beat by the 2007, 16-0 Patriots. David Garrard was praised by the Jaguar fans, and was given a large contract extension. When his team asked him to carry a larger burden on offense he regressed to a middle of the road Quarterback. He went from throwing 18 touchdowns and 3 interceptions, and almost an 8 yards average, to having almost as many interceptions as he did touchdowns. He did not take well to an increased workload, and part of me thinks Wilson will be the same way.

The truth is, Wilson plays quarterback in an unconventional way. He is a unique case that we cannot peg to very many examples in the NFL. This is, and should be a cause for concern with the FO before they give him a big contract. That is why I would like to see most of his contract incentive laden -- especially since he has not been asked to do very much from a passing standpoint on the Seahawks. He does very many things extremely well, but at the same time he lacks in very many fundamental areas. This is what makes evaluating the guy hard.

As for your list, I did not say half of those things, either that or you are misunderstanding what I said:

1. He's inconsistent. Yes he is inconsistent throughout the game. In the first half he is almost non-existent. It seems like he is only productive for about 1-2 quarters a game.

2. He can't throw on the run: I never said that, Wilson can throw on the run and he is among the best in the league at doing so, statistics even back that up.

3. He's hesitant: Yes, he is hesitant. He doesn't usually pull the trigger unless his receiver has a good two steps on the defender. This is one of my biggest concerns in the passing game. Receivers, most of the time only have a small window of time that they are open. He misses a lot of opportunities because he doesn't pull the trigger.

4. He's innacurate: I never said he's inaccurate, it's just that he lacks consistency here. I liken it to Donavon McNabb, he could either make a throw that 99% of the QB's in the NFL couldn't, or his throws would be WAY off. Wilson does tend to overthrow his receivers, especially during the beginning of the game, or after he does a lot of scramble drills. He has one of the most accurate deep balls in the league, but he does struggle on shorter passes, especially with ball placement.

5. He can't throw short passes: He can throw them, he just isn't that good at it. His repertoire is limited here. He knows how to work very few routes here. I especially noticed that he struggles with slant routes.

6. He doesn't see the field: It's hard to say, this could be related to his hesitation. I do feel that if you knock him out of his comfort zone, that his field vision really seems to suffer. He also refuses to utilize the middle of the field, or he just has a hard time seeing it, I don't know which it is.

7. He can't manage the pocket: Yes, I agree with this statement. He doesn't know how to manage the pocket. Throughout the season many people, not just myself have lamented this fact. He bails out far too soon, and when you bail out of the pocket, you're effectively cutting the field in half. This also greatly affects his field vision. He needs to learn how to step up in the pocket

8. He can't make presnap reads: Yes, this seems to be an ability where he is lacking.

9. He holds the ball for too long: Yep, he holds the ball longer than any QB in the NFL

10. He plays reckless: Yes, I believe his scrambling will get him injured one day if he doesn't alter his play style. Even though he is smart about sliding, he still takes more hits than almost anybody in the NFL. Passing wise on the other hand he is very conservative on which throws he makes, and doesn't make.

11. He only throws one route: Never said this. If this was the case he wouldn't be a good QB in the NFL. He does struggle on certain routes though, especially if they involve fine tuned-timing. He's very good at hook routes, Fades, Go routes, and post routes. Though many of the guys who watch film say our route trees are simplistic compared to most NFL teams in the league.

Fade

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3pfocqqt said:
McGruff":3pfocqqt said:
I think Spin Doctor is right on two things and wrong on the rest.

1. He's inconsistent
3. He's hesitant
4. He's inaccurate
10. He plays reckless

Seriously, if that was scouting report, this player wouldn't be employable on any level of football, and yet these are the things being said about Wilson in this thread alone. Some are valid. Some are distortions. Some are outright false. Many, however, can be attributed to the truly symbiotic relationship between coach, QB, line and receivers, and any reasonable fan would admit that our coaching is at least occasionally suspect, our line sucks at pass protection (they are built that way somewhat intentionally), and our receivers range from #3 types to fringe roster players. Sure, Wilson sometimes plays like a young QB, but let's not put any of this in a vacuum. Aside from Lynch, Wilson is playing with a short deck here.

1. He's inconsistent
3. He's hesitant
4. He's inaccurate
10. He plays reckless

First off, I would like to mention that winning a superbowl is a team effort. Wilson is not the only reason why we are there, when people talk about his merits this inevitably comes up. Did he help? Absolutely, but he let us not forget that he was also on a great team.

Secondly I'm looking at the future. Usually when Quarterbacks get paid there is an equilibrium that occurs. Teams usually put more assets into protecting their investment, it's just the smart thing to do. This means more draft, and monetary capital is allocated to the offense. Will that destroy our defense? No, but we will no longer be able to field defenses of the same caliber. This means that more weight will naturally be shifted on Wilson's shoulders. My question is: How would Wilson respond to an increased workload? This is an important question to ask when you're paying your QB.

I ask this question because of David Garrard. Obviously Wilson is a better player, he's more dynamic, and he has better fundamentals, but I still see major holes in his game which will limit his ability as a volume passer if he needs to become one. I should also mention that Wilson is more clutch than Mr. Almost interception Garrard and did not contribute as much to the run game.

I'm specifically going to mention one season Garrard had, which was 2007. In that season he had a similar role to Russell Wilson. He played in a run dominated, play action offense. He was among the bottom of the league in attempts as well, but he put together a solid stat line, and the Jaguars coincidentally made it to the divisional round. They were beat by the 2007, 16-0 Patriots. David Garrard was praised by the Jaguar fans, and was given a large contract extension. When his team asked him to carry a larger burden on offense he regressed to a middle of the road Quarterback. He went from throwing 18 touchdowns and 3 interceptions, and almost an 8 yards average, to having almost as many interceptions as he did touchdowns. He did not take well to an increased workload, and part of me thinks Wilson will be the same way.

The truth is, Wilson plays quarterback in an unconventional way. He is a unique case that we cannot peg to very many examples in the NFL. This is, and should be a cause for concern with the FO before they give him a big contract. That is why I would like to see most of his contract incentive laden -- especially since he has not been asked to do very much from a passing standpoint on the Seahawks. He does very many things extremely well, but at the same time he lacks in very many fundamental areas. This is what makes evaluating the guy hard.

As for your list, I did not say half of those things, either that or you are misunderstanding what I said:

1. He's inconsistent. Yes he is inconsistent throughout the game. In the first half he is almost non-existent. It seems like he is only productive for about 1-2 quarters a game.

2. He can't throw on the run: I never said that, Wilson can throw on the run and he is among the best in the league at doing so, statistics even back that up.

3. He's hesitant: Yes, he is hesitant. He doesn't usually pull the trigger unless his receiver has a good two steps on the defender. This is one of my biggest concerns in the passing game. Receivers, most of the time only have a small window of time that they are open. He misses a lot of opportunities because he doesn't pull the trigger.

4. He's innacurate: I never said he's inaccurate, it's just that he lacks consistency here. I liken it to Donavon McNabb, he could either make a throw that 99% of the QB's in the NFL couldn't, or his throws would be WAY off. Wilson does tend to overthrow his receivers, especially during the beginning of the game, or after he does a lot of scramble drills. He has one of the most accurate deep balls in the league, but he does struggle on shorter passes, especially with ball placement.

5. He can't throw short passes: He can throw them, he just isn't that good at it. His repertoire is limited here. He knows how to work very few routes here. I especially noticed that he struggles with slant routes.

6. He doesn't see the field: It's hard to say, this could be related to his hesitation. I do feel that if you knock him out of his comfort zone, that his field vision really seems to suffer. He also refuses to utilize the middle of the field, or he just has a hard time seeing it, I don't know which it is.

7. He can't manage the pocket: Yes, I agree with this statement. He doesn't know how to manage the pocket. Throughout the season many people, not just myself have lamented this fact. He bails out far too soon, and when you bail out of the pocket, you're effectively cutting the field in half. This also greatly affects his field vision. He needs to learn how to step up in the pocket

8. He can't make presnap reads: Yes, this seems to be an ability where he is lacking.

9. He holds the ball for too long: Yep, he holds the ball longer than any QB in the NFL

10. He plays reckless: Yes, I believe his scrambling will get him injured one day if he doesn't alter his play style. Even though he is smart about sliding, he still takes more hits than almost anybody in the NFL. Passing wise on the other hand he is very conservative on which throws he makes, and doesn't make.

11. He only throws one route: Never said this. If this was the case he wouldn't be a good QB in the NFL. He does struggle on certain routes though, especially if they involve fine tuned-timing. He's very good at hook routes, Fades, Go routes, and post routes. Though many of the guys who watch film say our route trees are simplistic compared to most NFL teams in the league.[/quote]

635515964280865297-8886480_michaelscott10.gif

PackerNation

Reaction score
Fade":38y0bsfz said:
At PackerNation

The Rodgers play was special more for the throw than the scramble. -> good job sliding out of the pocket, sick throw into a tight window while going left.

The Wilson play was special more for the scramble than the throw. -> sick juke, nice throw.

No argument on that. Not too many guys have the wheels like Wilson and a great arm to go with it.

[youtube]LCJblaUkkfc[/youtube]

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I may be a Seahawk fan...

But if I am allowed to choose between one quarterback in the entire league, It would be Wilson. I will pass on Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Luck. There is just something special about Wilson, he makes whatever wide receivers he has look good.

Fade

Reaction score
The 2 qualities I value in a QB outside of accuracy. (duh)

1. Never quit no matter the circumstances. Russell showed that in the NFCCG
giphy.gif

-->The heart of a lion.

2. Can you make plays even when the defense has schematically won the play? The Rams have everyone covered up on this play. He could of checked it down to Cooper, but it was 3rd down that's what the Rams wanted him to do, but Wilson slow plays it, and fakes out half the defense for a huge run.
russell-wilson-scramble-against-st-louis-a.gif

-->Gamechanger.

[youtube]M8ybWaIvmaM[/youtube]