Wild Card Watch Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think we need this thread to keep tabs on how and what other teams in the wild card race are doing.

As for the AL East, I think we root for them to beat up on each other and the Yankees to beat up on their division opponents.

sutz

Reaction score
Doing OK. 😄 I said it before, I don't want to sneak into the playoffs, barely getting the last WC spot. I want them to blow down the door and stomp in like they mean it. We're in the #2 WC slot now. Just have to keep winning.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Chris Sale left the game today with a broken finger.

Tampa’s Kiermaier also could be out for the rest of the season.

Feels like we are getting healthy while other teams are going through the grind of the season.

sutz

Reaction score
Athletic Supporters beat Asterisks today. Maybe soon we'll need a Division Win thread, haha.
It's not out of reach. 69 to play and 9 games back. 7 to play head to head and a shitload of div games against the A's and Angels. Go 39-30 and we're at 90 wins and a possible 3d WC. I want more than that, though.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I think 88 wins is a wc spot. AL East is going to best each other up.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Orioles doing what we did last season. Even though they are right there, they are selling. One less team for us to worry about.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Things are about to get much more interesting, and the team I'll be watching in particular for the next couple of weeks is the Blue Jays. The result of their next three series (three vs Guardians, three vs Orioles, four vs Yanks) portend a WC race shake-up highly favorable to the Ms. During this same stretch, the Ms face the Rangers, Angels, and Athletics, before returning home for a couple games vs the Nats that should be wins. Ms just need to stay sharp and not ease up, and I'm sure that's being preached in the locker room.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, this will be an important week for our WC chances.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'll try to update this as much as I can. Here are the upcoming series.

Baltimore plays only one game at Boston today (must be a makeup game).
Cleveland finishes up there series with Detroit today.

Starting Friday:

Cleveland starts a 3 game series at Toronto
Baltimore starts a 3 game series at Tampa Bay
Minnesota starts a 3 game series at LAA

ivotuk

Reaction score
Chris Sale left the game today with a broken finger.

Tampa’s Kiermaier also could be out for the rest of the season.

Feels like we are getting healthy while other teams are going through the grind of the season.
That's because we have a great "Skipper" who knows when to rest guys, and not risk further injury by placing too much importance on one game. Glad they held Julio out and are making sure that he is good to go. :)

Ruminator

Reaction score
BoSox just beat the O's, who were right behind us in the WC race tied with the Rays. Not that it makes much difference at this point, but thank you, BoSox!

Ruminator

Reaction score

sutz

Reaction score
There are no easy roads. 48 games to play, we need to win about 30-35 of them. With expanded playoff, 85 might be enough, but like I said above, I don't want to squeak in. I want to bust the door down and stomp in like we really belong.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
With the current standings and the remaining schedule, I would be disappointed with anything less than the second WC spot. I'm fully expecting us to remain at the top spot. With how Cleveland is playing, don't think we even need to worry about them as they will probably win the division. It's pretty incredible how Baltimore keeps winning despite being sellers at the trade deadline. I will enjoy watching the AL East beat up on each other while we play the bottom of the AL West.