Why don't we adjust for blitzes?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Crizilla":2e6f6ubb said:
Wilson is not an elite pocket passer especially against the blitz. That's a cold hard fact if anyone disagrees with that then they need to wake up and stop being a homer.

This is why we can't have nice things.

mrt144

Reaction score
DavidSeven":7glrsvvd said:
When defenses bring the house on a cover-0 blitz, I feel we use more conventional wisdom because Russ's playmaking isn't as big a factor. We're pretty good about getting in max protect and making teams pay in those situations. Almost always a huge play for us.

Exactly, It's really just the next step in his career - "Can he make defenses pay on less obvious blitzes". I think he'll get there given the time and coaching to get there.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IMHO-beating the blitz (and ya ain't gonna do it every time) is mostly on the shoulders of the QB, then the RB (if we have one) making the block. Actual blocking by the Oline would come next, with play design being last.

The QB must first recognize the blitz and make the proper line calls. He must be able to then make a snap decision on where to throw da ball, or where to run. There's a reason certain QBs kill the blitz. Guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Manning, excel against the blitz because they have no fear of making quick decisions and quick releases.

Unfortunately, RW has not grown a great deal in this category. YMMV. IMO, he has more faith in his legs than his arm. And therein lies the major problem.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
DavidSeven":307ma3nm said:
I'd guess that part of it is that Russ thinks he can beat a free rusher most of the time, so he'd rather keep his options downfield for the scramble drill while also giving himself some green to run in. That's what makes the most sense. And you know what? He does often make that first guy miss (though that doesn't always result in a positive play). Maybe it even helps him to know exactly where it's coming from -- so he leaves it open.

This makes sense. Great thinking. Unfortunately receivers aren't always making the necessary adjustments to capitalize. I've seen very few players sitting down in the zone or soft coverage spots this year. Baldwin has excelled at this in years past. I don't think it's feasible for Jimmy to do unless it's against a true zone blitz or he's single covered, so would love to see Baldwin step up. He's arguably our top asset for beating the blitz.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Just trying to apply what you guys are saying to plays that we've been watching. On the 3rd and 9 against CAR where Russ took that sack in the red zone. Can someone explain what could have easily been done there to give him an outlet that wasn't the 15 yard out that Kearse ran?

I'm just curious how it plays out. Do we motion someone to the side of the blitz, forcing one of them to drop into coverage or give up the easy pass? Do we change Kearse's route, etc?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if the Oline would be better off that after the snap all of the linemen merge shoulder to shoulder and make a wall.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
seahawkfreak":cs4vxg11 said:
Sometimes I wonder if the Oline would be better off that after the snap all of the linemen merge shoulder to shoulder and make a wall.

I like it.

mrt144

Reaction score
Laloosh":2dg23199 said:
Just trying to apply what you guys are saying to plays that we've been watching. On the 3rd and 9 against CAR where Russ took that sack in the red zone. Can someone explain what could have easily been done there to give him an outlet that wasn't the 15 yard out that Kearse ran?

I'm just curious how it plays out. Do we motion someone to the side of the blitz, forcing one of them to drop into coverage or give up the easy pass? Do we change Kearse's route, etc?

I asked the same question and while I get what Brock is saying in making the pre snap read then firing off to Kearse, are there any easier routes? Is this really the highest % chance to beat that blitz?

endzorn

Reaction score
Seems to me teams blitz not just to get a man through but to trap Wilson in the pocket where he can't see and because our line is embarrassingly bad, someone will eventually get to him. Teams used to leave wilson escape routes but they've gotten smart.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3uyri1wg said:

Not all blitz' come up the middle. Your scenario would allow edge rushers access to our QB unimpeded...no?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":hy2hok8y said:
I know Bevell's been unanimously voted the worst person to ever wear Seahawks blue in the history of everything ever, but I have a very hard time believing that stuff like this is all or even mostly his fault.

Bevell doesn't want to get back the Super Bowl. The last one was too painful.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mistaowen":2f16411i said:
Crizilla":2f16411i said:
Wilson is not an elite pocket passer especially against the blitz. That's a cold hard fact if anyone disagrees with that then they need to wake up and stop being a homer.

Well it's settled then.
Yeah, the Oracle has spoken.
(Gee, I wonder why there's so many complaints about how things are around here....and btw, you're right, he's not elite but that aspect of his game IS improving....oh God, I'm such a pathetic homet)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1f7os15s said:
seahawkfreak":1f7os15s said:

Not all blitz' come up the middle. Your scenario would allow edge rushers access to our QB unimpeded...no?
I wasn't entirely serious but hey, if cuts down half our sacks I'll take it.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":y6s5t6vd said:
LymonHawk":y6s5t6vd said:
seahawkfreak":y6s5t6vd said:

I wasn't entirely serious but hey, if cuts down half our sacks I'll take it.

Then just go with 3 tight ends and go full circle.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Crizilla":3pslm8d1 said:

Since "elite pocket passer" is a subjective term without any measurable qualifications, how is it possible to be a "cold hard fact"? How is absolute?

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Laloosh":16ax1rif said:

I don't remember the play. How many were blitzing vs. how many blockers? Did they overload one side?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":89u3eizo said:
Laloosh":89u3eizo said:

I don't remember the play. How many were blitzing vs. how many blockers? Did they overload one side?

tK2zMmg.gif

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That play is sickening. fake one blitz, run another, but still, not one hot route.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
We needed to slide protection to the left. Both blitzes would have dictated that. They sent 6, we had 6 to block. We didn't slide protection, therefore Sweezy is doing a fabulous job of blocking the air while a blitzer runs free. A shorter passing game might be beneficial, but you don't necessarily need hot routes if you have as many blockers as they have rushers. If we slide protection correctly, we have a td down the seam or a big play to the split end.

Latest posts