Why do we throw to the sidelines so often?

seabowl

Reaction score
I wrote something similar last year. It seems they throw almost all passes to the sidelines to avoid a turnover. I get it but this kind of throw makes it very difficult to complete as evidence by at least a few that I noticed last game where the receiver was trying to tiptoe the sideline with little room for error for a completion. I really wish they would throw more over the middle especially when it's 3rd down and a first is sorely needed.

Whoever put up the chart last week of Russ's throws from week 1 showed that 4 of 5 passses thrown in the middle of the field were completed for TD's and all 5 were completions.

Work the middle of the field more!!!!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
On that last "drive" too. It makes zero sense. What happened to short passes? Using the Tight end? Fly Sweeps? Running the damn ball? Crossing patterns? Any of it.

Chawker

Reaction score
I don't know, Russ is too short to see all the wide open space over the middle of the field. :229031_shrug:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That was the entire reason behind bringing Waldron in, to install the kind of dynamic offense that would take advantage of screens, layered route trees and misdirection to make better use of the entire field.

But that sure wasn't on display Sunday. What I saw was Russell regressing back to low percentage sideline 50/50 balls and hurried throws because he was feeling pressure. Looked a LOT like the old Bevell/Schotty playbook.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3bs2a2nl said:
That was the entire reason behind bringing Waldron in, to install the kind of dynamic offense that would take advantage of screens, layered route trees and misdirection to make better use of the entire field.

But that sure wasn't on display Sunday. What I saw was Russell regressing back to low percentage sideline 50/50 balls and hurried throws because he was feeling pressure. Looked a LOT like the old Bevell/Schotty playbook.

It worked well in the past, Russ? LMAO!!!!

on a pete Carroll team competition is everything why is there no competition for Russ?

I think it would be appropriate to bring in a vet that has seen it all someone Russ can respect. Not sure who that is but If he wants to have input like brady he needs to make decisions like Brady which equals wins. He needs a vet to buddy up with kinda like Dilfer did with Hasselbeck.. I think it would have been wise to do that from the start and they didn't do that and I think it was a mistake.

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":1b0yagsj said:
Sgt. Largent":1b0yagsj said:

It worked well in the past, Russ? LMAO!!!!

on a pete Carroll team competition is everything why is there no competition for Russ?

I think it would be appropriate to bring in a vet that has seen it all someone Russ can respect. Not sure who that is but If he wants to have input like brady he needs to make decisions like Brady which equals wins. He needs a vet to buddy up with kinda like Dilfer did with Hasselbeck.. I think it would have been wise to do that from the start and they didn't do that and I think it was a mistake.

LTH

Interesting take on the vet backup, which Russell did have when Tavaris was here......and he probably doesn't have with Geno.

But this is what, year #10 for Russell? He IS the vet, he shouldn't need that crutch anymore.

I love Russell, I'm glad he's our QB. But those terrible 4th quarter and overtime drives? Those are on him IMO, he did not do what an elite clutch QB does, which is lead his offense down the field for a FG.

In year #10 that's something Russell should be able to do in his sleep, especially against a mediocre defense like the Titan have.

Jville

Reaction score
seabowl":2b7z0fbx said:
I wrote something similar last year. It seems they throw almost all passes to the sidelines to avoid a turnover. I get it but this kind of throw makes it very difficult to complete as evidence by at least a few that I noticed last game where the receiver was trying to tiptoe the sideline with little room for error for a completion. I really wish they would throw more over the middle especially when it's 3rd down and a first is sorely needed.

Whoever put up the chart last week of Russ's throws from week 1 showed that 4 of 5 passses thrown in the middle of the field were completed for TD's and all 5 were completions.

Work the middle of the field more!!!!!

The Seattle Seahawks of the Pete Carroll era have always been, both offensively and defensively, a red line team. The receiver that controls the red line creates space for the quarterback to throw into. The corner that controls the red line narrows the field of play that the quarterback can make use of. Attacking the edges invites defenders to cheat. That opens up the middle of the field for big gains and scoring.

Perhaps this link will be helpful. >>>>> [urltargetblank]https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/8/5/5959491/jaguars-practice-redline-seahawks-pete-carroll[/urltargetblank]

EDIT: Added pass patterns from wk 1 and 2 that reflect the nature of an effective red line passing game ....................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/robertmays/status/1437488139292000266[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1439756902334881794[/tweet]

..................... there have been some tempo changes and such. But those changes have been blended in with continued use of red line receivers.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It kills me because it takes away the ability of the WR to adjust to the ball.

It adds an extra defender. (the sideline) which makes it easier to cover the WR.

It removes the need for the defender to guess inside or outside.

I hate it.

The good reason is you expected to break to the sidelines because the defender thinks you were going long.

But purposely running sideline routes where you know you are going to be covered? (or are likely to be) is just odd.

We do it because it is lower risk. But it also has a lower success rate.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Because Russ either lacks the ability or the confidence to read and attack the middle. He makes up for it be being elite at that sideline stuff and breaking plays, but he's lacking in that respect.

BASF

Reaction score
I will refer you to the Pete Carroll book Win Forever. There is (IIRC) a chapter dedicated to this answer. Of course, it was published before Russell Wilson even played for Wisconsin, so he doesn't really have anything to do with it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if people will ever get tired of literally making stuff up about Russ that doesn't even exist?? Not the sideline stuff, they call that crap way too often. But the "he can't throw over the middle" or "he can't throw from the pocket" stuff is not even close to true. But, feel free to continue to tell yourself that he can't do sh** when he clearly can.
What a cesspool this place is becoming. They need a win in the worst way on Sunday.........

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35za37me said:
I wonder if people will ever get tired of literally making stuff up about Russ that doesn't even exist?? Not the sideline stuff, they call that crap way too often. But the "he can't throw over the middle" or "he can't throw from the pocket" stuff is not even close to true. But, feel free to continue to tell yourself that he can't do sh** when he clearly can.
What a cesspool this place is becoming. They need a win in the worst way on Sunday.........

Agree. He can make all of the throws. The sideline up for grabs stuff is what irks me. I think sometimes the coaching staff tries to outsmart itself by overthinking things such as throwing to the sidelines when over the middle typically will yield better results since the player is in front of you and don't have to deal with ther sideline itself. Their philosophy reminds me a little of "the play" where Bevell outsmarted himself by throwing instead of handing off.

Sometimes the path to success is the one with the least amount of resistance.

misfit

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wdkdx9u said:

"IF" big if Russ is traded and the next qb has the exact same issue and we are still not attacking the middle of the field it will be very interesting to see the narrative then. Because I'm sure it will not be the almighty Pete and it could never be his philosophy to only prefer a deep pass game. All Russ fault! :D

hoxrox

Reaction score
Conversely, look at what our defense gave up.

Pass chart TAN298716 2021 REG 2 1632098709968

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1az31mkk said:

Russell can make all the throws, but I think when he's uncomfortable in the pocket, feeling pressure or doesn't trust his reads he panics and either ducks out of the play or throws low percentage 50/50 sideline balls.....because he knows that's the safest throw to make.

Does height have something to do with that? not having the ability to stand tall and confident in the pocket as it's collapsing and still being able to see and trust the 2nd and 3rd routes?

Idk, I bet there is some truth to that criticism.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mj11zbe said:
Russell can make all the throws, but I think when he's uncomfortable in the pocket, feeling pressure or doesn't trust his reads he panics and either ducks out of the play or throws low percentage 50/50 sideline balls.....because he knows that's the safest throw to make.

Does height have something to do with that? not having the ability to stand tall and confident in the pocket as it's collapsing and still being able to see and trust the 2nd and 3rd routes?

Idk, I bet there is some truth to that criticism.

Perhaps height has something to do with it, but here's Kyler Murray's chart from last week:

Pass chart MUR670413 2021 REG 2 1632098118960

xray

Reaction score
Wilson's height has always been an issue . If he drops back or rolls out he can see deep and the sidelines best . Trying to make him a pocket QB is a waste of time . IMO Imagine what he could do if he was 6'4" . :D

Jville

Reaction score
hoxrox":3sjb2eyx said:

Good point and post :2thumbs:

Seahawk's Red Line Pass Defense narrowed the field forcing everything inside and keeping all but one completion in front of coverage at less than 18 yards.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Jville":1im683lu said:
hoxrox":1im683lu said:

Good point and post :2thumbs:

Seahawk's Red Line Pass Defense narrowed the field forcing everything inside and keeping all but one completion in front of coverage at less than 18 yards.

Yeah and it helped the Titans to control the clock along with running Henry. Hence why we need to throw over the middle more.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's what made it so maddening. Over the middle over and over again for the Titans. Outcoached and outplayed. Not a Pete bash, but he is the head coach, he can make the changes happen. They didn't even attempt to adjust.

Latest posts