Why do we hate Chris Matthews?

Rob12

Reaction score
peppersjap":1xtuzvi5 said:
2Cool4School":1xtuzvi5 said:
AnchoredFlatAmericangoldfinch.gif

This dude is like a Julio or Calvin
That might be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!!!!

Sure looked like in the SB. In 2015, he has caught every pass thrown his way.

So Julio and Calvin is an overstatement, but this kid produces.

Rob12

Reaction score
peppersjap":16udso22 said:
I have seen him on the field quite a bit in the home games and he gets very little separation. I really think the only reason he is on the roster is because he has out performed the other receivers on special teams. He was great in the Super Bowl because of a mismatch. Most people on here didn't even know who he was until he recovered the onside kick vs GB. I am shocked when people say he could be our #1 and someone saying he is like a Julio or a Calvin! I love tall receivers and I think Pete proved he does too when he 1st got here and brought in Mike Williams but he obviously doesn't see what he wants or needs in Matthews. I would love to be wrong about the guy but if he was going to burst on to the scene it should have been starting out this season. I am not a huge Kearse fan but he has actually been very good this year and is a way better receiver than Matthews and it pains me to say that.

This is BS. We all knew here who Chris Matthews was. We had no idea what kind of player he was because he didn't get any burn in games.

Pete isn't the end all be all when it comes to offensive talent.

Four targets, four receptions in 2015. He's not the second coming or anything but he could absolutely be a bigger part of our offense.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
If the offense was firing on all cylinders then I could understand why Matthews wasnt getting much action but since it is struggling then why is the guys who catches everything thrown at him not getting more involved?

I think it's to do with the cautious way Wilson selects whether to throw or not, a lot of people have been wanting Wilson to give his receivers a chance (myself included) and that did seem to happen more against SF but with the reward of 2 INTs. I hope this doesnt put Wilson and the coaching staff off taking a few chances including giving Matthews more looks.

randomation

Reaction score
Rob12":1740lugj said:
Did anyone here play high school sports, and there was that guy on the team that absolutely sucked in practice, but showed up big in games? I played with a couple of those guys, and one of them ended up being the all time scoring leader in basketball.

I don't know. Matthews may just not be a practice player. That's if you believe the coaching staff over Doug Baldwin, who has said that Matthews makes plays in practice routinely.

Some players are just meant for the big stage. The onside recovery in last year's NFCCG and his huge performance in the SB is enough to make me want to see more. He's a menacing target, that's for sure. His height and ability to high point the ball over smaller DB's should be enough to see this kid get unleashed a bit.

And I'm sick and tired of the Kearse hate. He doesn't have to come up in every thread dedicated to a receiver. Dude has made some clutch catches. Don't hate him because he's in a role that he really shouldn't be in.

He has also made some drops that have cost us incredibly

I couldn't find a gif or even a decent picture but if Kearse makes this catch we win the super bowl flat out. That is a ball you cannot drop.

SBButler

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Rob12":1j9822lg said:
Did anyone here play high school sports, and there was that guy on the team that absolutely sucked in practice, but showed up big in games? I played with a couple of those guys, and one of them ended up being the all time scoring leader in basketball.

If you suck in practice I don't know if you can succeed in Pete's "always compete" atmosphere. "Always compete" = bust your ass, and from most accounts, Matthews doesn't. Makes it hard to give him the nod on game day without disenfranchising other players.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":n945pkvm said:
Listen to the radio or go on Twitter, every analyst, inside and outside of Seattle to the man says Matthews runs bad routes, is a poor blocker and isn't a good practice player.

All things Pete demands out of his WR's.
You are describing Lockette.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Largent80":nfm1dpqq said:
Sgt. Largent":nfm1dpqq said:
Listen to the radio or go on Twitter, every analyst, inside and outside of Seattle to the man says Matthews runs bad routes, is a poor blocker and isn't a good practice player.

All things Pete demands out of his WR's.
You are describing Lockette.

I don't think Matthews is a poor blocker. I have noticed some good blocks by him. But poor route running and underachieving in practice are my impressions of him.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I've stated all along that sometimes we might have a very good player and Pete will not play them until necessary.

For instance Tate, he wasn't a player that ran good routes he had to learn and learn, and until Sidney got injured is when he was able to fully show the coaches what he can do.

Same thing with Sherman, until Walter Thurmond went out with injury.

and we knew about what happened when Byron Maxwell took over for Brandon Browner, and Lane as well.

Thomas Rawls showing up in Marshawn's place.

Sometimes this coaching staff will not do it until it is deemed necessary.

Anyone else wondering the same thing about Lockett and Frank Clark's playing time.

It was stated that Lockett was drafted just to be a returnman until they saw that he was a much better receiver than they had thought.

Frank Clark is in rotation and now gets a few more snaps because of Jordan Hill's injury. It's not until he moves all the way up to the depth chart will we get to see a potential that I think will blow the coaches minds.

The coaches aren't perfect, and if it wasn't for some of those injuries we would never be able to see how great some of the players I mention up above performed.

Also look at the Cardinals last year, how many of their starters went out and all of sudden their backups were playing better than the starters. Talking about only on the defensive side of course.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
There is a long list of players who have had big games in the Superbowl, but otherwise done nothing.

If he had that kind of day in a regular season game and then dissapeared, nobody would be wondering why he never gets any playing time.

He's a fringe player with potential that had 1 big game. This it.

RussB

Reaction score
peppersjap":26aulg12 said:
2Cool4School":26aulg12 said:
AnchoredFlatAmericangoldfinch.gif

That might be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!!!!
Lol i know its too soon to say that. But with time he can become like those guys. He needs more snaps , he made plays and always does when thrown too. Not hating on kearse, but i would rather have deep balls thrown to matthews

rideaducati

Reaction score
Julio Jones was a poor route runner earlier in his career too, but Ryan worked with him and he is now one of the best receivers in the game.

If Matthews is a poor route runner, maybe Russell needs to work with him more so they are on the same page as to where the poor routes are going to end up. All I know is that when Russell throws him the ball, he catches it.

Rob12

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2bd0u9ug said:
Rob12":2bd0u9ug said:

If you suck in practice I don't know if you can succeed in Pete's "always compete" atmosphere. "Always compete" = bust your ass, and from most accounts, Matthews doesn't. Makes it hard to give him the nod on game day without disenfranchising other players.

If Matthews sucks in practice and doesn't try, I don't think he'd be on our 53 man roster.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":24tyv7md said:
2Cool4School":24tyv7md said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pump the brakes.
What'cha talkin' 'bout, I think he was comparing him to both Julio Vargas & Calvin Coolidge, what don't you get? :lol:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Rob12":14m9e7e0 said:

I don't know. Matthews may just not be a practice player. That's if you believe the coaching staff over Doug Baldwin, who has said that Matthews makes plays in practice routinely.

Some players are just meant for the big stage. The onside recovery in last year's NFCCG and his huge performance in the SB is enough to make me want to see more. He's a menacing target, that's for sure. His height and ability to high point the ball over smaller DB's should be enough to see this kid get unleashed a bit.

And I'm sick and tired of the Kearse hate. He doesn't have to come up in every thread dedicated to a receiver. Dude has made some clutch catches. Don't hate him because he's in a role that he really shouldn't be in.
Couldn't agree more ^

Latest posts