Why do we hate Chris Matthews?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
King Dog":u07ghlb0 said:
I'm the OP and I just told you what I meant by "we."

Sorry; I was not sufficiently paying attention.

hawk45

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1c779j0g said:
King Dog":1c779j0g said:
The guy shows what he can do on the field in the Super Bowl, then you basically never throw to him again - seems logical.

Logical is for him to get better at all the things I mentioned...........then he'd see more playing time.

Sorry, but I'm going to side with the SB/college championship winning future HOF coach as to why Matthews isn't playing, not some dude who woke up today and decided to write a "oh yeah hey why do we hate Matthews, remember when he caught that one TD in the SB!" thread.

That would be a basis for dismissing all criticism of any coaching decision, when clearly many coaching decisions fail and coaches themselves reverse course all the time.

This is especially true with players, and if we are going to make a bad coaching decision about personnel or anything, the offensive side of the ball is where we will make it. Percy Harvin, Graham running 3 yard outs and lining up next to the tackle, treating Kearse like Calvin Johnson, the multiple players we have whiffed on at offensive line.

This is a team that spent a ton more on a receiver who didn't come close to replacing Tate's production and warped the entire offense around that player. I have a lot of trust in Pete on the defensive side of the ball but holding his resume up as a get-out-of-argument-free card is weak sauce.

HawkEye

Reaction score
"Matthews runs bad routes"??? First, let's take a look at our playbook...the designed routes are not that great to begin with, and any Matthews effort I have seen this year is WAY better than, say...Kearse for example.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawkEye":3s6e1azv said:
"Matthews runs bad routes"??? First, let's take a look at our playbook...the designed routes are not that great to begin with, and any Matthews effort I have seen this year is WAY better than, say...Kearse for example.

No, not even close to as polished as Kearse's routes.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson doesn't like throwing to man-beaters.

He really doesn't like throwing to anyone other than Kearse, it seems.

cesame

Reaction score
Does anyone care to think that maybe the Seahawks just took advantage of that matchup between Matthews and the DB?

It was a good 1 on 1 for Matthews. That's probably not the case every game for Matthews. Other than size and length he has no other real advantage.

I'd rather those throws go to Jimmy Graham anyways.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2v8w610z said:
Listen to the radio or go on Twitter, every analyst, inside and outside of Seattle to the man says Matthews runs bad routes, is a poor blocker and isn't a good practice player.

All things Pete demands out of his WR's.

If he's a poor blocker why do we run the ball pretty much every time he is on the field?

I don't buy that. And what's so difficult about telling him to run a nine route and have Russ lob it up to him.

Bevell is so maddening

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Mathews was wide open at the 5 on the interception play to Baldwin. Too bad Wilson forced that pass to Baldwin when he had a better angle to an open Mathews in the middle of the field.

quneur

Reaction score
Convert him to TE?

Talking about TE's, what's Zack Miller doing these days? I would like to see him as our 3rd TE rather than Cooper.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1huozepa said:
Sgt. Largent":1huozepa said:
Listen to the radio or go on Twitter, every analyst, inside and outside of Seattle to the man says Matthews runs bad routes, is a poor blocker and isn't a good practice player.

All things Pete demands out of his WR's.

If he's a poor blocker why do we run the ball pretty much every time he is on the field?

I don't buy that. And what's so difficult about telling him to run a nine route and have Russ lob it up to him.

Bevell is so maddening

This is a really solid point. Every time Matthews is on the field, it's a run play. Matter of fact, the majority of times, Matthews motions into a tight slot so he can block closer to the line. That's not the sign of a crappy blocker, that's for sure.

I also don't get why Wilson will throw to a double covered Kearse but won't throw a jump ball to a 6'5" Matthews. Matthews has almost as large a catch radius as Graham, and has great body control to change direction and catch balls outside of his body at bad angles. As evidenced in the SB.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":30raj4y6 said:
Matthews is kind of slow and a poor route runner. But he's an eager blocker with good hands who can catch the ball at its highest point. I think we could find more reps for him.

Where to you get that he's slow ? From what I read, he's .3 seconds in the 40 slower than Dorial Green Beckham, and about 8 lbs lighter. DGB was suppposed to be this physical freak that was going to rival Calvin Johnson for athleticism.

timmat

Reaction score
The guy has caught everything thrown his way. I'd love to at least see some high point attempts that don't work before giving up on him. JUST TRY IT a few times. I have a feeling he might catch a lot of balls in the NFL for another team some day.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawks46":3sxsc0qq said:
hawknation2015":3sxsc0qq said:
Matthews is kind of slow and a poor route runner. But he's an eager blocker with good hands who can catch the ball at its highest point. I think we could find more reps for him.

Where to you get that he's slow ? From what I read, he's .3 seconds in the 40 slower than Dorial Green Beckham, and about 8 lbs lighter. DGB was suppposed to be this physical freak that was going to rival Calvin Johnson for athleticism.

Where are you getting those numbers? The 40 range at Matthews' Pro Day was 4.57-4.60:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=WR

Matthews did not run an electronic time at the combine. DGB's combine time was a 4.49:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552491

djb28

Reaction score
He doesn't need to run any routes. JUST GO LONG!

Rob12

Reaction score
Did anyone here play high school sports, and there was that guy on the team that absolutely sucked in practice, but showed up big in games? I played with a couple of those guys, and one of them ended up being the all time scoring leader in basketball.

I don't know. Matthews may just not be a practice player. That's if you believe the coaching staff over Doug Baldwin, who has said that Matthews makes plays in practice routinely.

Some players are just meant for the big stage. The onside recovery in last year's NFCCG and his huge performance in the SB is enough to make me want to see more. He's a menacing target, that's for sure. His height and ability to high point the ball over smaller DB's should be enough to see this kid get unleashed a bit.

And I'm sick and tired of the Kearse hate. He doesn't have to come up in every thread dedicated to a receiver. Dude has made some clutch catches. Don't hate him because he's in a role that he really shouldn't be in.

peppersjap

Reaction score
2Cool4School":3kw9k04q said:
AnchoredFlatAmericangoldfinch.gif

This dude is like a Julio or Calvin
That might be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!!!!

peppersjap

Reaction score
I have seen him on the field quite a bit in the home games and he gets very little separation. I really think the only reason he is on the roster is because he has out performed the other receivers on special teams. He was great in the Super Bowl because of a mismatch. Most people on here didn't even know who he was until he recovered the onside kick vs GB. I am shocked when people say he could be our #1 and someone saying he is like a Julio or a Calvin! I love tall receivers and I think Pete proved he does too when he 1st got here and brought in Mike Williams but he obviously doesn't see what he wants or needs in Matthews. I would love to be wrong about the guy but if he was going to burst on to the scene it should have been starting out this season. I am not a huge Kearse fan but he has actually been very good this year and is a way better receiver than Matthews and it pains me to say that.