Who's stoked to watch Paul Richardson this season?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I tore my acl in my left knee in high school. What they say is correct, injuries like that often lead to secondary injuries. I had problems with my lower back for a while because of favoring the injured knee. I thint he has a shot. It seems the drive and work ethic is there with p rich. He probably should have taken the whole season off. But it is such a great, competitive environment they have there, I think guys will always push to get back early.

Marlin Man

Reaction score
he gets to the third game of the season without being hurt, THEN I will "be excited for his year" as you put it

Can't get excited for what a guy "might do" who has never done squat- simple as that. Kind of like watching Luke Longhair- the supposed TE that everyone "can't wait to see what he does"--

They both have to get on the field and stay there for awhile for God's sake before you can "get excited" for anyone

good God man

M.M.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Actually you can get excited whenever you have a good prospect on your roster that has a chance of greatly contributing to the team.

I've been hyping Richardson up to people I know as a sleeper this year. I think he's going to have a big impact.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I hope he gets back and plays well enough in the preseason that we can trade him for a stud online man.

Jville

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1diqf272 said:
I hope he gets back and plays well enough in the preseason that we can trade him for a stud online man.
Richardson possess and brings some unique traits to the roster. It is why they drafted Paul.

It should also be noted that many cultures treasure species diversity.

Ignorance of the importance of diversity has made this finite planet much poorer than what it was when I was a kid.

Mick063

Reaction score
It is hard for me to get emotionally invested in injury prone players.

I'll wait until he plays a complete, productive season. Availability is a pro football players primary attribute.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I like the guy and he has a lot of potential, but he's hitting that Tharold Simon level for me now in that the kid is very talented but needs to stay on the field before I get my hopes up for him.

I'm glad we kept Kearse.

Atradees

Reaction score
True that......Okung was good but he was injured and that derailed the team at times. Too many times. Besides Lockette really does what Prich was expected to do.

He will have a probowl preseason.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Jville":3dozbeyb said:
brimsalabim":3dozbeyb said:
Richardson possess and brings some unique traits to the roster. It is why they drafted Paul.

It should also be noted that many cultures treasure species diversity.

Ignorance of the importance of diversity has made this finite planet much poorer than what it was when I was a kid.
That's funny, because places with lots of diversity tend to be poorer.

Hawks46

Reaction score
sutz":3bbqvp8m said:
oldhawkfan":3bbqvp8m said:
I'm in! I've liked Richardson since before he was drafted. He played really well at the end of his rookie season. Could even make a case that he was the best WR on the team during that stretch. The pulled hammy was just a fluky kind of thing.
Well, yeah. The pulled hammie is kind of a pre-season injury. The kind of thing that happens when one first gets back. If not for the concurrent problems on the team, he might have been kept active, but late in the season roster spots were getting tight.

Hopefully, he'll be ready and loose for TC and can avoid the hammie strains and such.

Exactly. It's difficult to exactly replicate an NFL game without actively practicing. It's why guys get hurt that hold out, like a lot.

I'm really excited to see what Richardson can do. He has such great speed that CBs were already respecting that his rookie year, which opened up the slants and intermediate routes for him. I think Richardson, Lockett and Baldwin are going to be very very difficult to stop, and throw in a RB that runs well out of the spread (and catches well out of the backfield) and we're not really going to be worried about the TE position.

I will say that watching that instagram of him catching passes from Wilson actually has me worried. I didn't notice this on the playing field, but in shorts the kid runs loosely, almost pigeon toe'd, and his knees end up outside of his hips a little bit. That's not a great running form, and running loosely like that makes your knees less supported and more open to more ligatment and tendon type of injuries. I hope he just runs like that in shorts. There's a lot of guys that "tighten" it up when pads are on.

razor150

Reaction score
hawk45":c0ndf8u6 said:
sutz":c0ndf8u6 said:
hawk45":c0ndf8u6 said:
I'm about as excited for Richardson as I was for Deon Butler.

I'm struggling to recall the list of Seahawk players in recent history who began their careers with multiple years where they missed significant time due to injury then went on to be relatively injury-free later. Of course it's easy to recall the Marcus Tubbss, Russell Okungs, Deon Butlers, Percy Harvins, Deion Branches, I have to stop now my blood pressure has risen too high.

For some reason Anthony Simmons popped into my head but no, he played most of his games first 4 seasons and only broke down later on.

Carpenter might be on track but he was oft-injured due to fatness I'm not sure that's quite the same thing.

Does anyone remember players who overcame early significant (multi-year, multi-games-missed) injury struggles? I'm sure there have been some.
Ahem....Walter Jones. IIRC, he missed significant time his first year or so with ankle problems, then went on to be one of our most durable players. ;)

Walt missed 4 games his first season then went on to play all 16 games in each of the next 4 seasons. That does not meet the significant injury struggles criteria I laid out, to put it mildly.

Nearly every NFL player misses significant time in 1 season. That is why I stated *multiple* years, clustered early.

Technically Richardson has only missed the majority of one season because the injury that was the main culprit happened in the playoffs. So he has not missed multiple years due to injury.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He won't play much if he does he will just get hurt again sorry but it's been a horrible pick so far.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He does look a little sturdier this year from what little we've seen catching the ball from RW. Assuming he stays healthy, he'll be a good rotational WR who will now have more strait line speed than any WR on the roster given that Lockette likely won't play again. If he has added a little bit more strength that should help him hold the sideline better on vertical routes if he doesn't get a clean release, which he sometimes doesn't and gets walled off to the sideline.

I don't know that he'll ever be a starter in this league (particularly as a Seahawk) given his lack of strength (emphasis on WR run blocking), but he can still be a really nice rotational weapon if he can stay healthy. He's obviously dangerous vertically.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I hope he succeeds in this league but now that we have "no e" i would think if Prich has a good pre season, our best bet would be to trade him for a piece that we need more.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He fell in the draft due to his inability to stay healthy in college, and that hasn't changed yet. The wear and tear of injuries (even once healthy again) can also build up over time, which might start to become a concern for him.

Nice fluid player in college, and definitely seems like he's invested in improving, though.

TBH tho, over those last five weeks of the season two years ago when he did play I didn't see in him what was getting some Hawks fans so excited. He looked decent enough, but not really like he was bringing anything that the rest of unit wasn't. Projected out across a whole year that "hot streak" of his would have resulted in about 560 receiving yards and 3 TDs over the whole season. Not always fair to just look at stats for young WRs, but I didn't see in him anything that I thought could make him really special moving forward (like say Tyler Lockett; the stats don't matter. He jumps off the screen at you).

I think the dream scenario for the Hawks is that he's able to stay healthy this year and contribute enough to justify letting Baldwin walk, and I think he's got a chance to do that (although I probably wouldn't put money on it at this point).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":26kxbkot said:
He fell in the draft due to his inability to stay healthy in college, and that hasn't changed yet. The wear and tear of injuries (even once healthy again) can also build up over time, which might start to become a concern for him.

Nice fluid player in college, and definitely seems like he's invested in improving, though.

TBH tho, over those last five weeks of the season two years ago when he did play I didn't see in him what was getting some Hawks fans so excited. He looked decent enough, but not really like he was bringing anything that the rest of unit wasn't. Projected out across a whole year that "hot streak" of his would have resulted in about 560 receiving yards and 3 TDs over the whole season. Not always fair to just look at stats for young WRs, but I didn't see in him anything that I thought could make him really special moving forward (like say Tyler Lockett; the stats don't matter. He jumps off the screen at you).

I think the dream scenario for the Hawks is that he's able to stay healthy this year and contribute enough to justify letting Baldwin walk, and I think he's got a chance to do that (although I probably wouldn't put money on it at this point).
In our offense, the way it was being called then, 560 and 3 TDs is like 900 yards and 6 TDs in other NFL offenses. THus the excitement.

For years, some of us have said that Doug Baldwin would be better than Wes Welker in a Tom Brady offense. Last year, we got a glimpse of how good he could be. Point is, we have had to project WR talent in Seattle's offense for some time. Golden Tate showed that to be true as well.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2kbn5vam said:
Popeyejones":2kbn5vam said:

In our offense, the way it was being called then, 560 and 3 TDs is like 900 yards and 6 TDs in other NFL offenses. THus the excitement.

For years, some of us have said that Doug Baldwin would be better than Wes Welker in a Tom Brady offense. Last year, we got a glimpse of how good he could be. Point is, we have had to project WR talent in Seattle's offense for some time. Golden Tate showed that to be true as well.

Truth. It's extremely difficult to accurately gauge WR abilities in the Hawks offense. You mostly have to look at film or how defenses play them. Richardson kept safeties from cheating up. They respected his speed. That's huge for a WR corp built on shiftiness.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Seattle needs Richardson to do well. He may not put up huge numbers but his presence helps out everyone. Pe brought it up above but his ability to keep safeties from cheating allows Baldwin and to a lesser degree Lockett more room for error in their game. Lockett did a little bit of that last year as well but the addition of Richardson allows Lockett to do more things.

I honestly think this offense is on the verge of being what the defense as been for the past few years.....special.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I would love to see him contribute but definitely not holding my breath over it.