Who in nat'l sports media will pick the 9'er over the Hawks?

nategreat

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could say this game doesn't mean much to the 49ers. If they lose this one, they are on the cusp of playoff elimination. Or at least the potential of a three way tie for the final seed. At any rate, a loss would surely be cutting things close, and two losses would be all it takes to almost definitely eliminate them. So to say this game doesn't mean much to them, is kind of funny.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
After getting blown out twice in Seattle I think the 9ers players obviously have their calendars marked for this game (purely from a pride perspective), but the 9ers will still have the #6 playoff spot a week from today regardless of if they win or lose or who else wins or loses. They don't NEED this game, although they of course want it and it will make their path to the playoffs much easier. So, yeah, of course they want it and of course it's a big game for them, but they don't definitionally need it.

Kaiser: they'll have the same record as three other teams, yeah, but IIRC if the season ended on Monday regardless of what happens the 9ers would already have locked down the 6th playoff spot.

NorCal

Reaction score
Kaiser":1jmcmrmi said:
i'm not sure you noticed that the 49ers are hanging like a dingleberry to that 6th seed, and if they lose there are 3 teams that can tie them for it. not really a nonchalant place to be in entering week 15.

two other teams, AZ and DAL/PHI. And the niners play AZ and DAL/PHI play each other the last week. So, I still think the niners end up 11-5 and maybe even clinch a WC even before the last game.

Edit: Again, I am not saying the Niners themselves aren't concerned about the game. I just said that in the end, I don't think it will mean that much. Don't confuse what fans say with what a team thinks or says.

Barakas

Reaction score
NorCal":1gmpskzc said:
I'm not saying they won't be up for the game. Of course they will. I think these two teams genuinely hate each other. But its not a do or die game. That comes in January

You need to check out the playoff machine. If your 49ers lose and the eagles and cowboys win their games the 49ers become the 7th seed.

kearly

Reaction score
I can't believe Vegas would give any points to the 49ers. Even in last year's match, Seattle probably wins that game if not for a bevy of drops (including one for a sure TD) and some uncharacteristic turnovers.

Then again, their defense made Wilson's life miserable in the game earlier this year, but that was with a helpless McQuistan at LT most of the game.

49ers have struggled against playoff caliber teams this season. They suffocate bad/mediocre teams, which creates the illusion that they are elite.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
NorCal":2c7qs4o3 said:
Kaiser":2c7qs4o3 said:
i'm not sure you noticed that the 49ers are hanging like a dingleberry to that 6th seed, and if they lose there are 3 teams that can tie them for it. not really a nonchalant place to be in entering week 15.

two other teams, AZ and DAL/PHI. And the niners play AZ and DAL/PHI play each other the last week. So, I still think the niners end up 11-5 and maybe even clinch a WC even before the last game.

Edit: Again, I am not saying the Niners themselves aren't concerned about the game. I just said that in the end, I don't think it will mean that much. Don't confuse what fans say with what a team thinks or says.

Yep. The 9ers are currently a game up on AZ/DAL/PHI.

If the 9ers lose this game and lose another game and Arizona wins their next three against the Rams, Titans and Seahawks (i.e. 9ers go into the last week a game down against Zona) IIRC then the 9ers still make the playoffs over Zona if they win (THAT would be a game they need :) ).

As for DAL/PHI, one of them will win and will be one game up in getting the division title, and one will lose and be a game down in the wild card hunt, so basically, even if the 9ers lose they'll still be one game up on the NFCE WC hopeful, as they already are.

Personally, I don't see the 9ers beating the Hawks this week, but even less likely is Zona beating the Hawks at home in two weeks.

This ain't a need game, it's a really, really, really want game. ;)

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
There are seven teams in the NFC (other than the Seahawks) that have a shot at getting 11 wins or more as of today.

You guys lose this game (that you think doesn't really matter that much to you guys) and you're one more loss away from being in serious playoff trouble. I hope your team is as nonchalant as you are about the game and the remaining schedule. Would love to see you guys miss out on the playoffs.

NorCal

Reaction score
Barakas":22pmjt5i said:
NorCal":22pmjt5i said:
I'm not saying they won't be up for the game. Of course they will. I think these two teams genuinely hate each other. But its not a do or die game. That comes in January

You need to check out the playoff machine. If your 49ers lose and the eagles and cowboys win their games the 49ers become the 7th seed.

Edit: Popeye said it better above.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1v1zr4sw said:
There are six teams in the NFC (other than the Seahawks) that have a shot at getting 11 wins or more as of today.

You guys lose this game (that you think doesn't really matter that much to you guys) and you're one more loss away from being in serious playoff trouble. I hope your team is as nonchalant as you are about the game and the remaining schedule. Would love to see you guys miss out on the playoffs.

Thanks for the well wishes? :)

Not a single person has said the game doesn't matter, nor is anyone nonchalant about it. If the 9ers lose the WC race is obviously tighter, but win or lose the 9ers are still in the 6th slot and still control their destiny entering Week 15. Acknowledging that isn't being dismissive of the game's importance.

Joey13091

Reaction score
As many have said before. I actually prefer to be the underdogs.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Popeyejones":39mbf8hb said:
JGfromtheNW":39mbf8hb said:
There are six teams in the NFC (other than the Seahawks) that have a shot at getting 11 wins or more as of today.

Thanks for the well wishes? :)

Not a single person has said the game doesn't matter, nor is anyone nonchalant about it. If the 9ers lose the WC race is obviously tighter, but win or lose the 9ers are still in the 6th slot and still control their destiny entering Week 15. Acknowledging that isn't being dismissive of the game's importance.

NorCal":39mbf8hb said:
I actually don't think this game means that much to the niners either.

Your fellow fan said it on page one.

Excuse me, I didn't mean replace the words "means" and "matters" when I was referencing what he said.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am genuinely torn between my desire to drink Niner fan tears when they don't make the playoffs, or my desire to drink Niner fan tears when we boot them out of the C-Link in the playoffs.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Scottemojo":394hqe94 said:
I am genuinely torn between my desire to drink Niner fan tears when they don't make the playoffs, or my desire to drink Niner fan tears when we boot them out of the C-Link in the playoffs.

It's a win-win, who cares? :49ersmall:

NorCal

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2itslu5q said:
NorCal":2itslu5q said:
I actually don't think this game means that much to the niners either.

Your fellow fan said it on page one.

Excuse me, I didn't mean replace the words "means" and "matters" when I was referencing what he said.

My bad. I was referencing that it won't mean that much to the niners in the end, referencing playoff positioning. I will edit it for clarification.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9b4u7zex said:

As a Hawks fan, you want the path of least resistance to the SB........and there are only two NFC teams that have the potential to give us problems. The Niners and Panthers.

Not saying I don't like our chances at home against ANYBODY, but if you're deciding whether to root for the niners to get into the playoffs over potentially playing someone like the Saints, Bears, Cowboys or Eagles? That's a no brainer, those teams aren't even close to as good as the Niners.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1emuio14 said:

I'd rather keep them out of the playoffs. Beating a team 3x in a year is reaaaaaaalllly hard.

themunn

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":113vcixf said:
Scottemojo":113vcixf said:

I'd rather keep them out of the playoffs. Beating a team 3x in a year is reaaaaaaalllly hard.

So is forcing Drew Brees to play his worst game in a decade?
Anyway, I keep seeing this, I'd like to know how often in say the last decade a team has lost (at home) in the playoffs to a team they swept in the regular season. Yes, it's hard to win 3 games in a year against one team - because it's difficult enough to win 2 in the first place, let alone meet them in the playoffs. I'd say it's hard to do because it's hard to sweep a divisional rival and still have them make the playoffs in the first place, and then in the occasions they do, they rarely actually face each other.

In 2012 no wild-card team was swept by the division winner
In 2011 EVERY wild-card team was swept (and in the Bengals case they lost both to the Ravens AND the Steelers, but all 3 made it in), but all 4 wild card teams were one and done without meeting their rivals.
In 2010, Green Bay, Baltimore and the Jets all faced a divisional rival in the playoffs, but all split in the regular season - we know what happened to the Saints that year too...
In 2009 the Eagles and Cowboys actually met in the wildcard round, the Cowboys having swept the series in the regular season - and they won the 3rd game too.
In 2008 the Eagles faced the Giants and the Ravens the Steelers, the Eagles and Giants split, the Steelers swept the Ravens in the regular season and again won in the playoffs.
In 2007 the Giants and Cowboys faced off with the Cowboys having swept the regular season, but the Giants went on to win in the playoffs. This occurence should be taken with a grain of salt though, given that this Giants team also beat the then 18-0 Patriots in the Superbowl. Certainly an oddsbreaker.
In 2006 the Giants and Eagles and the Pats and Jets played in the WC round but all split in the regular season.
In 2005 the Steelers and Bengals faced off, but split in the regular season
In 2004 we lost to the Rams 3 times (SORRY FOR REMINDING YOU), the Packers and Vikings also faced off but split in the regular season.
No divisional matchups in 2003.

So, that is, in the last 10 seasons, there have been 12 playoff games between divisional rivals, only 4 teams actually swept the series in the regular season, and 3 of those won in the playoffs. The lone exception the bizzaro-2007 NY Giants, who actually lost (AT HOME) to the Cowboys, Packers and Patriots in the regular season, but beat them all en route to the Superbowl. (And, it should be noted that their first loss to the Cowboys on the road was their season opener).

So whilst I would agree it IS difficult to beat a team three times in a year, it's a lot harder to beat them 3 times if you lost one of the first two games, in fact, it might quite possibly be impossible. But if you DO win those first 2 games, the chances of winning 3 are a lot higher.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
Some factors

I expect the 9ers will dig into a bag of tricks to try to jump on the hawks early (hawks have to watch for goof crap plays)
Hawks are in the same mode they were in at the end of last season. They are better now than the first time the 9ers saw them.
Yes 9ers looked good last week, but the suck factor of the Rams was huge in that game. Rams could not complete a pass to open receivers, and DBs could not cover at all.
Kap is conditioned to pee himself when he sees the hawks. Its mental now and spells trouble for the 9ers
9er Fans will go in Jacked up, but turn on the team and consider the season over with any sign of trouble
There will be trouble

chris98251

Reaction score
I beleive the motivation is, if we win we secure the division, if we win we secure a first round bye.

We set up our own destiny and then it's win one more for the home feild advantage, it is also a way to make sure we make the 49ers play a higher seed.