Who are the Hawks going to target in FA?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ctdywqf said:
All true, but I can't see John or Pete wanting that much salary tied up in the D-line.

If we release Avril and sign Campbell and hope Clark picks up the slack for Avril? I can see that. But not over 30M tied up in the D-line with Bennett, Avril and Campbell. Not with how much help we need at DB and O-line.

I don't think it's a matter of pay inequity in one position group or another.

For me, and I think Seattle's been consistent on this point, is they aren't averse to paying out big salaries if it provides value. There are literally no OL on the market that are worth even an 8m contract. It's a bad market. And we're not alone in wanting help there. The market is going to suck hard precisely because demand will bloat the resulting contracts forcing bad value deals.

And given the dearth of OL prospects at the top tier of the draft -- the supply of potential solutions for 2017 is extremely low.

Whereas the pass rush depth in the draft is very very good. Teams looking for pass rush are going to be able to go with cheap rookies if need be. And the supply of UFA pass rushers is not altogether poor either. Just like the markets were when we picked up Avril and Bennett.

Seattle doesn't, nor shouldn't really care about overspending on one position group or another. Total spend is more smartly driven by the talent available both in UFA and the draft. It's better to sign a top 5 or top 10 DT in terms of pass rush production to a 12m deal, than it is to get a barely average RT only for 9m.

And in fact, Seattle has overspent on the DL before. Precisely given the same talent landscape. When we were paying Bennett, Mebane, Avril, Bryant -- we were spending about 26m for the foursome. With a cap about 120m at the time.

If Seattle is going to really make a move to improve the OL, they're going to have to do so by trade. The UFA options are really pretty poor. While they will be an improvement to what we have -- the reality is they still won't be good. And Wilson will still get hit. Only we'll just not be as good elsewhere as we should be.

As far as DB help is concerned. That's coming via the draft. This class of DBs is easily as good as 2010's on paper. I'd say it's as good at tier one, but it's the T2/T3 group that is really outstanding. And it's littered with prospects that measure up to our standards.

It's smarter to get impact players. Campbell is an impact player. And getting him allows us to align our board specifically with the extreme strength of this draft. The worst thing we can do, is to allow impact players to pass us by and force a bad solution on the OL.

If not being aggressive enough to get whole on the OL in the last two years was our sin of the 2015/2016 offseasons, then forcing a bad solution in a year where the options across the board stink only compounds that sin.

We can want a better OL as hard as we must. But the UFA/Draft offerings aren't a visit by the OL fairy. It's more like a Soviet supermarket. You might really really want bagels. But the only thing on the shelf is bread. You buy what's available. Not what you want.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The best thing about this free agent class is that it's stocked with plenty of aging vets you can add after June 1st or is it May 10th now? Idk.

You don't even have to go OT to improve OT.

This free agency class is stout with OG, so money you'd have to put in to get a middling OT prospect could get you a quality guard. If you pull a LG, you can just move Glo to his more natural side at RG, move Ifedi to RT. A veteran presence at LG will help the LT. Someone like Ronald Leary, imo, won't break the bank like 6-7 apy but is quiet quality. If you go RG, you push Ifedi to RT. Veteran presence at RG will help Ifedi at RT.

If you go it this way, you likely will have a Fant vs Obdiahambo battle at LT. They can easily re-sign Gilliam (I think RFA min is 660k) plus Sowell cheap and put them back into that mix. Not a big time competition but Fant and Odhiambo are growing with upside. We know what Gilliam is at RT, but we don't know what he is at LT. He never got the chance to prove himself because of a knee scope that took him out of TC as well as the failure at RT that was Webb forced Gilliam to play RT, which I felt he wasn't prepared for as he trained last off-season to compete at LT. So I think there is value to at least see if Gilliam has something at LT.

Sowell and Fant is more the bottom line, you likely can sign any veteran FA on the cheap, have them compete, and see whose better. Odhiambo is the WC.

I think the Seahawks if they do sign an LT, look for them to go after someone that is cut with a cheap prove it type deal like Okung or Clady. Fant is like 1-2 years away from probably making enough progress to be reliable or consistently serviceable that is if he puts in the work to improve.

I think this team is good enough for the team to play the market with non-compensatory free agents with cuts, inelgibles, or post June.

However, I would not mind seeing the Seahawks going after Malcolm Smith... who will probably get a Kearse/Lane level contract. Perhaps that might be too pricey for what we do at SLB, but Smith can also play WLB, and as added ILB to his skill set with the Raiders as well be a ST ace. So I would like to see him back.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3hqnjyz5 said:
The best thing about this free agent class is that it's stocked with plenty of aging vets you can add after June 1st or is it May 10th now? Idk.

This free agency class is stout with OG, so money you'd have to put in to get a middling OT prospect could get you a quality guard. If you pull a LG, you can just move Glo to his more natural side at RG, move Ifedi to RT. A veteran presence at LG will help the LT. Someone like Ronald Leary, imo, won't break the bank like 6-7 apy but is quiet quality. If you go RG, you push Ifedi to RT. Veteran presence at RG will help Ifedi at RT.

If you go it this way, you likely will have a Fant vs Obdiahambo battle at LT. They can easily re-sign Gilliam (I think RFA min is 660k) plus Sowell cheap and put them back into that mix. Not a big time competition but Fant and Odhiambo are growing with upside. We know what Gilliam is at RT, but we don't know what he is at LT. He never got the chance to prove himself because of a knee scope that took him out of TC as well as the failure at RT that was Webb forced Gilliam to play RT, which I felt he wasn't prepared for as he trained last off-season to compete at LT. So I think there is value to at least see if Gilliam has something at LT.

Sowell and Fant is more the bottom line, you likely can sign any veteran FA on the cheap, have them compete, and see whose better. Odhiambo is the WC.

I think the Seahawks if they do sign an LT, look for them to go after someone that is cut with a cheap prove it type deal like Okung or Clady. Fant is like 1-2 years away from probably making enough progress to be reliable or consistently serviceable that is if he puts in the work to improve.

I think this team is good enough for the team to play the market with non-compensatory free agents with cuts, inelgibles, or post June.

However, I would not mind seeing the Seahawks going after Malcolm Smith... who will probably get a Kearse/Lane level contract. Perhaps that might be too pricey for what we do at SLB, but Smith can also play WLB, and as added ILB to his skill set with the Raiders as well be a ST ace. So I would like to see him back.

That first press conference would be interesting I bet I wonder if Siouxhawk would attend :)

DJrmb

Reaction score
chris98251":2vfktj88 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2vfktj88 said:

That first press conference would be interesting I bet I wonder if Siouxhawk would attend :)

Huh?

Ohh, are you thinking of Malcolm Butler, CB from NE??

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29fy0d2s said:

I honestly don't see us going after any of the big names, we usually wait until that 2nd or 3rd wave to try and get depth cheaper.

Saw an interesting point somewhere (might have been from an article somebody linked to here) about how with almost no free agents of their own this year, the Seahawks can play in free agency without the concern of losing compensatory picks (since they likely won't be getting any). Given that, maybe this is the year they change up their strategy (though I doubt it).

chris98251

Reaction score
DJrmb":3aduggx9 said:
chris98251":3aduggx9 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3aduggx9 said:

Huh?

Ohh, are you thinking of Malcolm Butler, CB from NE??

Oh your right, damn cold my brain is in a fog, ok I will take my spankings but she has to be a hottie giving them.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I read somewhere Chris that a movie is going to be made about Malcolm Butler, in case that interests you.

Largent80

Reaction score
We don't need to bring Smith (my BAD) back. Draft Daeshon Hall out of Texas A & M.

[youtube]N4YuG129gNw[/youtube]

King Dog

Reaction score
Largent80":hmfwytn0 said:
We don't need to bring Butler back. Draft Daeshon Hall out of Texas A & M.

[youtube]N4YuG129gNw[/youtube]

Deon Butler? Agreed. Don't bring him back

OP
OP
Trrrroy

Trrrroy

Reaction score
There are actually a lot of decent LT options set to hit FA. Reiff, Clady, Beachum, and most likely Okung. All of these would be an upgrade over Fant, and they all should be available for a reasonable contract. Please make it happen. I don't want to go into 2017 with Fant as the starting LT.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I just saw an interesting name on defense that hasn't been mentioned yet....Melvin Ingram. This is a guy I wanted the Seahawks to take in the 2012 draft. I thought they moved up to get him but they picked Bruce Irvin. Ingram is a premier pass rusher. He'd be a great in the OLB spot that Irvin left. Chargers may franchise him so there's that but if they don't, I'd like to see the Seahawks make a play for his services.

RussB

Reaction score
If i was seahawks GM i would sign whitworth and mike remmers. And if there is anything left look at a CB like brandon carr or leodis mcelvin. Then draft some more DBs.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RussB":2f7dgdop said:
If i was seahawks GM i would sign whitworth and mike remmers. And if there is anything left look at a CB like brandon carr or leodis mcelvin. Then draft some more DBs.

Don't hold your breath on Whitworth and Remmers. They are on the 'A' list and will have a lot of suitors, plus it isn't in our DNA to go after big offensive names, either in FA or the draft.

We'll make a couple of signings that will send all of us to google to figure out who they are.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1r8jt1it said:
lukerguy":1r8jt1it said:
I believe they will target Ryan Clady. He won't go for anywhere on the top of of the LT market but he's a ZBS guy who will be a serious upgrade to anyone we've currently got at LT.

Maybe as insurance if Fant doesn't progress, other than that.. I really don't think they're going to go after LT in FA. Right tackle seems much more likely.

You mixed up your responses. This should have been your response to Attyla's post on Calais Campbell.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2933o85o said:
Hasselbeck":2933o85o said:
lukerguy":2933o85o said:
I believe they will target Ryan Clady. He won't go for anywhere on the top of of the LT market but he's a ZBS guy who will be a serious upgrade to anyone we've currently got at LT.

Maybe as insurance if Fant doesn't progress, other than that.. I really don't think they're going to go after LT in FA. Right tackle seems much more likely.

You mixed up your responses. This should have been your response to Attyla's post on Calais Campbell.

I think you're vastly underestimating how much of an impact on defense Calais Campbell would bring.

Not to mention, it'd be a big loss for Arizona.

Will it happen? Probably not. But I sure think they're going to try.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3vhr27y7 said:
There are actually a lot of decent LT options set to hit FA. Reiff, Clady, Beachum, and most likely Okung. All of these would be an upgrade over Fant, and they all should be available for a reasonable contract. Please make it happen. I don't want to go into 2017 with Fant as the starting LT.

I think you're about to be pretty let down about the last sentence of your post.

They'll address the right side of the line, but I think the Fant experiment is going to continue.

Again though, Clady would be a really nice signing for insurance purposes. He's been very injury prone for much of his career.. and I think that will drive his cost down. I think Breno could also be in play to come back and play RT.

Largent80

Reaction score
Clady was let go by Denver and they hired Okung... :lol:

Might as well bring the latter back if one is to accept mediocrity over development. (That is if Denver elects to not pick up his next year).

Personally, I'm MEH on both of them. The Hawks hired 2 complete whiffs in FA for the o-line last year.

I would rather they get Campbell, but if there is one thing we've learned since P & J got here it's don't bother watching for a splashy signing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":17l6o92t said:
Trrrroy":17l6o92t said:

I think you're about to be pretty let down about the last sentence of your post.

They'll address the right side of the line, but I think the Fant experiment is going to continue.

Again though, Clady would be a really nice signing for insurance purposes. He's been very injury prone for much of his career.. and I think that will drive his cost down. I think Breno could also be in play to come back and play RT.

idk, all these cut tackles just feel like more Webb's out there hanging on for another last ditch payday, and will be horribly disappointing if signed.

I'm fine with bringing a couple of them in on a cheap deal to compete during camp. But hell to the no on giving any of these guys any guaranteed money.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2wktzbu6 said:
Seanhawk":2wktzbu6 said:
Hasselbeck":2wktzbu6 said:
lukerguy":2wktzbu6 said:

I think you're vastly underestimating how much of an impact on defense Calais Campbell would bring.

Not to mention, it'd be a big loss for Arizona.

Will it happen? Probably not. But I sure think they're going to try.

I was joking about the Seahawks' affinity for playing anyone on the OL other than actual NFL offensive lineman.

RussB

Reaction score
RiverDog":aipw3krj said:
RussB":aipw3krj said:

Don't hold your breath on Whitworth and Remmers. They are on the 'A' list and will have a lot of suitors, plus it isn't in our DNA to go after big offensive names, either in FA or the draft.

We'll make a couple of signings that will send all of us to google to figure out who they are.
And look where that has got them with the o line. If they can pay that scrub cary williams they better pay whitworth or remmers the o line is a mess.