What's The Biggest Factor In The Hawks Turnaround?

What's The Biggest Factor In The Hawks Turnaround?

• Russell has gone back to #NoTimeForSleep Mode

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Bevell has pulled his head out calling some nice offensive game plans

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Big Bawls Rawls!

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • Patrick Lewis taking charge at Center

Votes: 59 38.1%
  • Possible Players Only Come To Jesus Meeting

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other (read my comments)

Votes: 26 16.8%

• Total voters

rigelian

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1v4pkvmu said:
I went with Bevell. The biggest change to me is that the passing offense is no longer just backyard scrambles and chucking it deep. They have actually developed a short, timing based passing game and it is doing wonders to mitigate their pass protection deficiencies. Really happy they finally realized this was what they needed to do.

I actually think we did have short timing routes ran before, however, Wilson seemed to often double clutch on them as if he didn't trust his own eyes. I actually think the difference is that Wilson has finally committed to getting the ball out of his hands quickly and trusting that his receivers will catch the ball in tight windows.

kjreid

Reaction score
It is not just Lewis taking charge at Center but the whole Damn Offensive line getting their act together. a lot less penalties and good run blocking and pass blocking is the biggest difference imo

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Ever since I officially joined this board, the team has been on a run. :thirishdrinkers:

evergreen

Reaction score
seahawksny":2jd5prjy said:
The biggest factor is very simple

When we preserve our identity which is running the ball, throwing down field and Russell using his legs. we win

when we get away from our identity, IE stupid bubble screens to Percy Harvin that takes away from my points above, and relying on tight ends, who albeit supremely talented do not block to support our strengths. we lose.

I just dont understand why Pete chooses to be experimental. Last year for 5 games. This year for up until 9 games. Its a terrible thing to say, but Graham getting hurt will help this team tremendously.

I felt the same way. Jimmy seemed like another misfit even though we were gelling with him more. Now it's like the switch went off and its the core team again even though its not. It's Russell's team on O now...

Cartire

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":czd981w1 said:
Ever since I officially joined this board, the team has been on a run. :thirishdrinkers:

I used to frequently browse many forums, including this one, during the hologrem years and the first couple of PC. But when Russell became our QB and watching what he could do the first part of his rookie year, I could no longer contain myself and had to become part of the discussion (to the detriment of a few posters here ;) ). We've been on a great run ever since.

With that said, I hope you are the reincarnation of the run I had.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I don't buy that the o-line suddenly got that much better, except at center.

On one of the early plays in the Vikings game, Britt whiffed badly. just as badly as when he first started playing guard.

But the ball was already out, the route was a short one, the D had no chance even on a blown block to get a sack. The short pass game, the new emphasis on a lot more spread plays, has made the line look better than it is.

Seafan

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1zqz8fcv said:
1. Russell Wilson learning to pass quicker and finally doing Ciara.
2. Mr. Rawls.
3. Pierre at center.
4. Lane.
5. Bevell actually calling decent plays like a rollout that gives Wilson a run/pass option instead of a short slant in the teeth of the defense using some dude who's whole value is being a gunner on special teams or go routes in deep passing situations.

Lewis is the center, not Jean-Pierre.

I doubt RW has done Ciara.

It's all the quick rhythm passing game. Too bad it took so long to try it. The 12s haven't earned a home playoff game since their performance has sucked this year too, but it would have been nice.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":pogm418v said:
I don't buy that the o-line suddenly got that much better, except at center.

On one of the early plays in the Vikings game, Britt whiffed badly. just as badly as when he first started playing guard.

But the ball was already out, the route was a short one, the D had no chance even on a blown block to get a sack. The short pass game, the new emphasis on a lot more spread plays, has made the line look better than it is.

Yes. And Rawls is making the running game look better than it is. And really, most of the effective lines in the NFL are being made to look better by something else.

I'm just happy that Seattle has found the magic recipe just in time to save the season.

In defense of the line, I really like the push they have gotten the past few weeks. Rawls has terrific vision, but he's getting a a nice hole to pop up somewhere on what feels like half his runs. I rewatched the Minny game and yeah that D was depleted, but our line has gotten very good at cut blocking in the run game. Our OL usually has to get very low to get good push, but they've been doing it consistently now for a few weeks.

Seafan

Reaction score
The quick pass emphasis by the coaches (why the heck did it take 8 weeks?) and decent execution by RW who was responsible for the 2-4 start. The OL improvement has helped the running game but it isn't the decisive factor in RWs turnaround. The defense isn't the same as last year but with a credible offense there is hope the defense can improve.

erik2690

Reaction score
Seafan":vo88fatb said:
The quick pass emphasis by the coaches (why the heck did it take 8 weeks?) and decent execution by RW who was responsible for the 2-4 start. The OL improvement has helped the running game but it isn't the decisive factor in RWs turnaround. The defense isn't the same as last year but with a credible offense there is hope the defense can improve.

I get that you have your slant on things, but if this is "decent" execution what does good, great and perfect execution look like? Maybe that's sorta semantic, but "decent" just reeks of backhanded compliment for some reason when the dude is on such a ridiculous 3 game stretch. Maybe my interpretation more than your meaning and maybe this is all a bit to argumentative, but I guess I'm essentially asking what your 'execution grading scale' looks like.

Seafan

Reaction score
erik2690":1uoj2oo7 said:
Seafan":1uoj2oo7 said:

I get that you have your slant on things, but if this is "decent" execution what does good, great and perfect execution look like? Maybe that's sorta semantic, but "decent" just reeks of backhanded compliment for some reason when the dude is on such a ridiculous 3 game stretch. Maybe my interpretation more than your meaning and maybe this is all a bit to argumentative, but I guess I'm essentially asking what your 'execution grading scale' looks like.

Some have said he was just off in his throws a bit. Or he was just 1/2 second late. Whatever. Even Pete says it is Russ cleaning it up when people have asked about the secret to this "turn around". Decent execution is giving your team mates a chance. I don't think that is asking too much.

There was a fantasy "expert" on NFL net that said the turnaround happened after Jimmy was injured since RW wasn't forcing it to him any more. Stupid.

Confidence is king and that is the reason this team is flying high. They got their swag back.

greenblue_eye's2

Reaction score
As some of the talking heads on Inside the NFL said tonight, Seattle is one of the teams that no one wants to meet up with during the Play Offs. The Hawks have got that "Big MO" just at the right time in the season!