What if Beville to Bears? Gruden to Seahawks? (speculation)

Shock2k

Reaction score
Where you expecting a link to an article with that crazy title?

Gruden said, "I would love to coach that kid."

Not sure how .Net feels about Gruden, I've always like him, and he has always liked Russell Wilson. And why not take a OC job with a Superbowl contender? Ya I know, he probably wouldn't take anything less than a head job.

drdiags

Reaction score
They would have to pay Gruden some serious dough to get him out of the booth. And as you say, why would he destroy his credibility to come back as a coordinator?

I gather you know you will be mocked by not only our fans but the soon to be visitors from the South. Maybe it drops off the main page? Bears don't want Darrell Bevell. They are just pumping coaches for info by bringing them in to illicit ideas. PFT claims NFL teams are grumbling that the Bears are doing what Al Davis used to do with these large number of candidates being interviewed. Just trying to get info on how to improve their team.

kearly

Reaction score
Title is a bit bait and switch. Should probably add "what if" to avoid confusion.

I could see Gruden doing it. Not saying I would think it likely but I could see some logic in it. Gruden wants to coach again, but the offers for HC are just not coming. Not even colleges are offering him, which is surprising. He won't raise his stock being a color commentator.

Gruden would get to work with Wilson. If you know even a little about Gruden and how he's so notoriously tough on QBs, it's easy to figure out why he took to Wilson so quickly. Gruden is a perfectionist who demands his QB to have the same intense mentality. Drew Brees would be a perfect QB for Gruden. Guess who Wilson models himself after? I think Wilson and Gruden would work very well together, because Gruden would push Wilson and get the most out of him since Wilson is terrific at rising to a challenge.

Gruden probably wouldn't take an OC job anywhere else, but seeing Seattle assistant coaches getting job interviews like crazy, he knows that our team is a hot ticket for promotion. Or, if Gruden wants to hang around, he could look at Carroll, who is already 61 years old, and might see a chance to succeed Carroll down the road even if offers don't open up for him.

My gut tells me this never happens. Even if Gruden likes the idea, Carroll might be allergic to an OC with an ego. But obviously, it would be really cool if it did happen.

I really don't want to see Bevell go by the way. Our offense has been incredible the last 5+ weeks.

debevemos

Reaction score
If we had Carroll managing the D with the help of a new DC and Gruden teaming with Cable on Offense... I would be terrified to face this team.

Do it!

taz291819

Reaction score
kearly":25i0lj2e said:
Title is a bit bait and switch. Should probably add "what if" to avoid confusion.

I could see Gruden doing it. Not saying I would think it likely but I could see some logic in it. Gruden wants to coach again, but the offers for HC are just not coming. Not even colleges are offering him, which is surprising. He won't raise his stock being a color commentator.

Didn't the University of Tennessee go after him, but he turned it down?

I just don't see him leaving the booth period, too cushy of a job. (Though I'd love it if he did).

hawker84

Reaction score
are you sure they're even talking about John Gruden.. he does have a little brother coaching in the NFL, and i heard his name being thrown around last weekend...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":6lwu6imh said:
Why would gruden leave his cushy little job for the grind of the NFL?
I like Gruden, and I don't mean this in a disparaging way; but ego. Why is Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle and worth tens of billions, still running the company and being as ruthless as ever? Some guys just love it.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":144j3ktv said:
If Bevell goes then the guy most likely to replace him IMO is Doug Nussmeier.

Doug is a buddy of mine from high school - we went to Lakeridge in Lake Oswego, OR together. He's doing a great job for Bama - I'd love this!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I could see it if they think Gruden is so great that they are willing to completely overpay him and also make it a holmgren-mora deal where it's just assumed that when Pete retires, Gruden will take over. Would be a smart move for the future by both sides.

Carroll is one of the oldest coaches in the league even if he doesn't seem like it by his demeanor, although he also doesn't seem like he's ready to retire any time soon. Especially when he's finally been able to build the NFL team he's wanted for decades and they are just now getting rolling.

Otherwise, just wanting to 'coach' Russell Wilson probably isn't a good enough reason for him to want to take a step backwards career wise, not unless he has a personal preference to focus his coaching in one area and not have as many responsibilities as being a head coach.

Are there any good examples of this happening before, where a highly regarded and sought-after head coaching candidate passes up a bunch of interest to just be a coordinator?

edogg23

Reaction score
I don't see this happening. Why would he want to be an OC when he could have his pick of being a head coach of probably half the teams in the league with a phone call.

Hawks46

Reaction score
We wouldn't get Jay Gruden. I'm pretty sure coordinators can get out of their contract for HC gigs, but I don't think they can get out of them for lateral moves to other team's coordinator jobs, or we'd have seen it more often by now.

Freakin Jerry Jones would totally overpay to get the best two coordinators in the league after his HC.

Latest posts