What I am afraid of...

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":13zfi6gt said:
HawkinNY":13zfi6gt said:
Doesn't matter what happens. Pete will never fire Bevell. The only way Bevell is not on this team if 1. Another team actually hires him as a head coach......HAHA Or when Pete retires from football. Then who knows Bevell may become our head coach.

Either way we are screwed!
John can fire DB, so can Paul Allen.
But they won't because they know that he's a good asset to the team.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
What I'm afraid of is how many, and how vocal, the idiots are. Hopefully nobody with power listens to 'em.

Brb we should trade Lynch. Brb we should trade chancellor. Brb we should trade Wilson. Brb we should trade graham. Brb we should trade Sherman. Brb the coach who took this abismal franchise to back to back superbowls is finished, 10-6 is pathetic.

Etc

Overseasfan

Reaction score
To be honest I feel like the biggest problems is the mentality not being right. If we manage to make the play-offs that problem probably already has been fixed so I don't see need for worry.

Alexander

Reaction score
WilliamCooper":3vx0y0dp said:
The Hawks go on a run and win 6 of last 7 and go 10-6. They get a wild card and maybe win a playoff game. Pete will say everything is fine and the team just needed time to gel. Status quo next year.

I'll make the most generous interpretation of this statement: you're worried that a strong finish will convince Pete that the team doesn't need fixing in the off-season, when it clearly does.

I believe this concern is off base, and not consistent with what we've observed of his tenure so far. Consider 2012. Like this team, that team struggled to finish games, and posted a disappointing record midway through the season. (It's also worth pointing out that, like this year's team, the 2012 team posted an impressive DVOA despite its middling record.) A big part of the team's struggles had to do with the lack of a consistent pass rush. Nevertheless, they managed to go on a roll, finish 11-5, win a playoff game, and nearly beat the #1 seed Falcons on the road.

In the offseason, PCJS did not take the strong finish as an excuse to do nothing. They knew the pass rush was still a big problem, so they went and signed Bennett and Avril. And even though receiver wasn't a problem at the time (we still had Tate and Sidney Rice back then), they also swung a big trade for Harvin.

Bottom line: PCJS are always looking for ways to improve the team. They don't always succeed, and sometimes they get a little too cocky, but they're always trying. It's not like Pete is unaware of the O-line's problems. There were rumors that the front office was looking to swing a trade for an O-lineman a few weeks ago, and just this week Pete admitted that the O-line hasn't come together as quickly as he was expecting. So they're not blind to the problems, and if past history is any indication, they will address the issue very aggressively in the offseason, regardless of how the team finishes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
razor150":29fdmrxe said:
So let's say we end up in the play offs and we win a game, and Pete decides our offensive line is good enough, just like he has done in the past with the awful ones we've trotted out on the field. So he continues to not get the upgrades the Oline needs and then Wilson gets hurt and has a short career because of having to constantly run for his life. Was going 10-6 and a playoff game worth the cost of the continued indifference?

Things aren't so black and white. I would rather lose if it meant Pete finally got the idea that the players he and Schnieder have been bringing in for the Oline just won't cut it.

If he won't get it regardless, then yes I would rather win. If he has finally figured it out, I would rather win.

It isn't about wanting Bevell fired, or any axe to grind, I just want Pete to finally get it. He has a huge blind spot when it comes to the offensive line, and the line he thought was acceptable this year just proves the point. He thinks Cable can take a turd, polish it, and turn it into gold. Cable clearly can't do that.

Yes, for this group of players and coaches who are right now 4-5, ripping off a bunch of wins AND winning a playoff game would IMO be a nice end to an otherwise disappointing season.

What you're saying is "if we don't go to the SB, then I want no part of this season."

Again, insane to me, and it tells me you're a spoiled and even naive to think that. It's pro sports, no team or fan should have that kind of expectations. Making the playoffs IS what it's all about, because anything can happen. To think otherwise is crazy to me.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just get to the dance, ANYTHING can happen. Teams have won the Super Bowl going in at 9-7, let alone the 6 seed. And this team has a ton of playoff experience. Guaranteed, as bad as things look, nobody would want to face an angry Hawks team in the playoffs. I can't fathom even thinking that making the playoffs is a bad thing.

Latest posts