What head scratcher at 5th?

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
We’ve all been accustomed to JS doing something crazy and all left head scratching. Outside of Anderson, Carter, Smith and any of the top 4 qb. What pick at 5 would you be like wtf JS?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Calijah Kancey. That little D Tackle from Pitt.

He's being comped to a smaller Aaron Donald and who knows, he could end up being a really good player. But if Seattle takes him at #5 I feel like that would be a major reach and a wasted opportunity to not trade down and snag him later, with so many QB hungry teams picking after 5

GemCity

Reaction score
Really hoping for Anderson (likely going to AZ). We’d be lucky if Arizona traded back.

If we can’t find anyone to trade down with, I’d likely take Richardson. I know it’s a gamble but, I feel like we’re going to find a lot of equally talented D-linemen in Round 2.

Long shot - Gonzales at 5. I don’t see PC doing that as he has a knack for finding late round DBs.

James in PA

Reaction score
I think (and hope) John got his mojo back last draft. That was vintage John. I predict he won't trade back. If you exclude Carter, there are 5 guys worth drafting at 5 and they all fill a need. The 4 QB's and Anderson. Luckily, we just make the cutoff and I think he will take whichever player remains (likely Anderson, Levis, or Richardson).

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Carter may be off the board @ 5 due to being a moron. Cross fingers that AZ trades down...otherwise, it may be Wilson. If that is the case, JS might be able to trade down a few and still get him.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
One of the third tier edge rushers....

In my mind, Anderson is a country mile ahead of the second tier. I've seen plenty of mocks with us taking Murphy or Wilson, which for me, are squarely in that second tier. And while I think either is a reach at 5, neither would shock me.

I think the big shockers would be us taking a tier three edge in Nolan Smith or Van Ness or Adebawore. These players are a reach in my book, and on the big board, and by pundits, and would be graded as F. But at a position of need. Sounds like a Seattle shocker to me.

toffee

Reaction score
Let's see, before the combine, we had the top four QB and two generational defense players in Carter and Anderson.

Among the top 4 QBs, Richardson is raw, Young is small, Stroud's fell apart under pressure, not sure about Levis. At least two of these four will be drafted by the time it reaches #5. Which players from these four us a must have for you? I'll pass on all four.

Anderson and Carter, after his pro day, Carter is out, that leaves Anderson.

Fir me, if Anderson's there' at 5, we draft him, otherwise trade down and grab Kancey, then Mazi in 2nd, to address our DL needs. Something like this mock, we get an additional first and second in '24, yet we drafted 3 DTs in Kancey, Mazi, and a run stopper Ojomo, a center and a guard, hey a DE in Will McDonald 4. Lastly Hooker to sit behind Geno.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
Jalen Carter apparently had a bad showing at his pro day:

That, combined with his off-the-field issues, might have sunk him. I think that Schneider has to wait and see what Arizona does before making a move, unless he gets a good offer for pick 5. But no one will trade for #5 until they know if Arizona is going to trade their pick or not. The dominoes might not fall until the draft gets under way. If Stroud or Young is available at #3, then somebody is going to trade with Arizona for their pick.

Let's hope they don't overthink this and pick Kancey or Bijan Robinson with #5. I'd be okay with Tyree Wilson on the theory that you can never have too many pass rushers. But to me, picks 5-25 seem interchangeable, so it seems like a good year to trade back for more picks.

TheLost

Reaction score
Has anyone here on this website ever witnessed a friend of theirs go 100 mph into two telephone poles and several trees killing them. I would probably gain a few pounds of stress eating myself.

Mase

Reaction score
-- I think the Raiders of all teams could dictate the top ten of this draft. The Jimmy G deal is structured that they could be out of it in a year or two will little financial harm done. I think they want a QB.

-- Carter screwed us up with his likely plummet. If we want Anderson we need all four picks ahead of us to be QBs. Unlikely, but possible. Just need the Cards to facilitate it by switching with the Raiders.

Mase

bileever

Reaction score
-- I think the Raiders of all teams could dictate the top ten of this draft. The Jimmy G deal is structured that they could be out of it in a year or two will little financial harm done. I think they want a QB.

-- Carter screwed us up with his likely plummet. If we want Anderson we need all four picks ahead of us to be QBs. Unlikely, but possible. Just need the Cards to facilitate it by switching with the Raiders.

Mase
I wonder if the Bucs, the Texans or the Commanders will like one of the QBs like Levis enough to want to move up as well. They all have QB issues, even if they have a stop gap for next year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Calijah Kancey. That little D Tackle from Pitt.

He's being comped to a smaller Aaron Donald and who knows, he could end up being a really good player. But if Seattle takes him at #5 I feel like that would be a major reach and a wasted opportunity to not trade down and snag him later, with so many QB hungry teams picking after 5
Why take him at 5, when most believe he will be available at 20?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Has anyone here on this website ever witnessed a friend of theirs go 100 mph into two telephone poles and several trees killing them. I would probably gain a few pounds of stress eating myself.
Fair point, but Pete and JS still have to sift through all the particulars of how & why he put himself in that predicament in the first place and or, was this a one time out of character incident.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We’ve all been accustomed to JS doing something crazy and all left head scratching. Outside of Anderson, Carter, Smith and any of the top 4 qb. What pick at 5 would you be like wtf JS?

The head scratchers would be the top picks at a non position of need like tackle, CB, etc.

Not that the player wouldn't be warranted for their skillset, but if we drafted someone like Johnson Jr., Skorinski, Porter Jr, etc.

That would be a wtf moment.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Bijan, Mayer, Skoronski, Johnson Jr, Murphy, Witherspoon, Johnston in that order for me. Guys who wouldn't completely shock me at #5 but where either the positional value is poor or I don't like the fit.

I'll certainly take their talent evaluations over mine on draft day, but personally I also wouldn't take Carter, Levis, Wilson, or any CB. They've been great at developing corners and this draft is stacked with good developmental CB prospects who would fit our system.

Latest posts