What changes do you think we need to make to our O-line?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Barthawk":1aixvp07 said:
When Carp was playing LG, McQuistan went to RG.
+1. That is what they will do I suspect again. Why Carp at LG? The man is an earthmover. He is too slow for tackle IMO.

I see Moffatt as a super sub much like Pork Chop was. He was a center also at Wisconsin , so I would work him as backup there. Sweezy is a good story lets see how he does. Right now he reminds me a lot of M Wrotto.

Largent80

Reaction score
So far, Carpenter has been a scalpel mover, and not a mover of opposing players. That is doing us how much good?

I say zero. Potential?...or, he will be ok if he can stay healthy?

Nah, the guy needs to have to compete for a job in my opinion, and should be used as depth rather than a starter if he can even get on the field.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Largent80":qor2c5ct said:
So far, Carpenter has been a scalpel mover, and not a mover of opposing players. That is doing us how much good?

I say zero. Potential?...or, he will be ok if he can stay healthy?

Nah, the guy needs to have to compete for a job in my opinion, and should be used as depth rather than a starter if he can even get on the field.

He should be on the stairmaster not on the field!

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
No major changes along the O line. Carpenter needs to be tested for one more year at LG. At WORSE, McQ takes over the position for the rest of 2013 (McQ being Pat McQuistan) which wouldn't be a season-ending move or anything. At least we get to see if Carp has a future as a starter or not. Drafting or signing a LG pretty much puts a lid on Carp ever earning his draft status.

The right guard position is another position that deserves a year of tests and growth. Sweezy is as green as they come, but with huge upside. Moffitt is like McQ; respectable at the position but nothing spectacular. His upside is higher than McQ's, though, which means any addition at RG reduces the chance those two ever grow into their potential.

Right Tackle would be a position I would be fine looking to add a development player, but I think Breno has showed he's improved greatly over the year to earn the starting spot. He's also an underrated teammate, imo. Just watching tape of this past year, and you always see Breno encouraging and motivating others on offense, which I love seeing.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":hqalf3e0 said:
Carpenter will take the LG spot when healthy, then it will be Sweezy, Moff and McQ battling it out for the RG. But I think McQ wins the competition easily, at least this year.

Okung
Carpenter
Unger
McQ
Breno

That's a solid line right there.

If those five stay healthy this is exactly what I think will happen this season. I also believe with Carpenter, McQuistan, Sweezy and Moffitt there is no need to address the guard position in the draft. I fully expect them to draft somebody to compete with Giacomini at right tackle, likely a third or fourth rounder. Of course the draft situation will certainly change based on what happens in free agency.

hai

Reaction score
I feel as though we had this very same question brought up about Okung, now Thurmond and Carpenter. Okung ended being unreliable on the field, regardless of what injury, he had them, Carp and Thurm as well, if they become healthy, i feel like everyone who doubts Carp especially will regret it next year. Carp was unmovable at LG, i even thought he was dominate in the run game when he played, even if he's larger then most people, that's a +1 for a guard in my book.
Carp pro-bowl in next 2 years if he plays healthy, book it.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hai":3aeptxv9 said:
I feel as though we had this very same question brought up about Okung, now Thurmond and Carpenter. Okung ended being unreliable on the field, regardless of what injury, he had them, Carp and Thurm as well, if they become healthy, i feel like everyone who doubts Carp especially will regret it next year. Carp was unmovable at LG, i even thought he was dominate in the run game when he played, even if he's larger then most people, that's a +1 for a guard in my book.
Carp pro-bowl in next 2 years if he plays healthy, book it.
I'm with you. Carp could be a dominating LG if he's healthy for a couple years. Even when he played the games he looked good in this season, I never sensed he was at 100%. With almost a year to heal and study the position better, I think he'll surprise some people.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
AgentDib":2bkiszvz said:
PlinytheCenter":2bkiszvz said:
I don't see why a lot of you are putting Carp at guard. Maybe I'm missing something (not unusual) but I really don't think he's done anything to get starting consideration. I guess we'll see in training camp. Hopefully he drops a few pounds and gets his footwork in order.
Nobody is saying that he has earned the spot. Rather, Carpenter is a big guy that we spent a first round draft pick on two years ago. It's only reasonable for fans to want him to succeed and it looks like the best chance for that happen is at LG.

There were 41 offensive linemen drafted in 2011. Of those;
- 12 currently have starting jobs, including 7 of the top 10
- 12 are depth / developmental
- 13 are on injured reserve
- 4 have been waived

2011 Offensive Line Class, Current Status
#9 T Tyron Smith, DAL Starter
#15 C Mike Pouncey, MIA Starter
#17 T Nate Solder, NE Starter
#22 T Anthony Castonzo, IND Starter
#23 G Danny Watkins, PHI Depth
#25 T James Carpenter, SEA Injured
#29 T Gabe Carimi, CHI Starter
#32 T Derrick Sherrod, GB Injured
#46 T Orlando Franklin, DEN Starter
#48 C Stefen Wisniewski, OAK Starter
#49 T Ben Ijalana, IND Injured
#55 G Rodney Hudson, KC Injured
#63 T Marcus Gilbert, PIT Injured
#75 G John Moffitt, SEA Starter
#76 G Will Rackley, JAC Injured
#85 T Jah Reid, BAL Depth
#92 T Joseph Barksdale, STL Depth
#101 G Clint Boling, CIN Starter
#110 G David Arkin, DAL Depth
#117 T James Brewer, NYG Depth
#122 T Chris Hairston, BUF Starter
#138 T Marcus Cannon, NE Depth
#150 T Jason Pinkston, CLE Injured
#161 G Julian Vandervelde, PHI Depth
#163 C Daniel Kilgore, SF Depth
#168 T DeMarcus Love, MIN Injured
#172 C Brandon Fusco, MIN Starter
#175 T Byron Stingily, TEN Depth
#179 G Caleb Schlauderaff, GB Depth (Jets)
#191 C Jason Celce, CIN Injured
#196 G Keith Williams, PIT Waived
#201 G Stephen Schilling, SD Depth
#203 C Zack Williams, CAR Injured
#209 T Johnny Culbreath, DET Waived
#210 G Andrew Jackson, ATL Injured
#214 T Derek Newton, HOU Starter
#217 T Maurice Hurt, WAS Depth
#239 T Mike Person, SF Waived
#244 T Lee Ziemba, CAR Injured
#245 G Michael Jasper, BUF Waived
#252 C Bill Nagy, DAL Injured

Cimiri got benched and Tyron Smith did a bad job when he moved right to left tackle for the Cowboys. I'm starting to think that draft class was weaker than originally thought.

two dog

Reaction score
Do you think they will bring Frank Omiyale back next year?
I know he's just depth and some negative noise was made here when
they signed him last year. Some seemed surprised he made the 53 cut.

But when he became the next man up at LT, he actually played pretty well.
He's 31 yrs. old, not old for an OL but I don't know his contract status.

justafan

Reaction score
When I look at the team at the end of the year and rank the weakest positions imo they were Leo,Guards then DT a pass rush from the 3 tech.
People can say but we have Mq,Carp,Moffitt and Sweezy my main argument is ya but we have Mq,Carp,Moffitt and Sweezy.
Mq may be our best G but gets beat pretty badly at times,Sweezy doesn't even look like he belongs out there at times,Carp was easily replaced at RT with a player off a practice squad, while Moffitt seems to be in Cables doghouse.I can't judge Carp off last year because he wasnt right and his play showed it.
The fact an average college DL can walk on an NFL team and not only make the team but get playing time tells me how weak the position is.
Considering Wilson and Lynch are our biggest assets on offense who rely on these guys and the Ds that play in our conference I would have no problem if they tried to improve the Gs this offseason.
As far as Breno we can do better but we can also do worse.Flawless never came to mind when I think about Brenos play
I know we have spent 1st and 3rd on guards but it doesnt really matter.They need to get better and stay healthy,

Wartooth

Reaction score
They should have just put Carp on IR for the season last year...
It seemed like they rushed him back from a pretty serious knee injury...
Being a 1st round pick may have had something to do with that...
But why risk hobbling him with a lingering injury?
If they had IR'ed him for the season...
He would be as close to 100% as he's ever going to be at the beginning of mini camps this year...
Just seemed like a dumb move.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I assume that the Hawks will draft an Oline player every year. Whether it turns into depth or into a starter I think that PC/JS sees the importance of a quality line. As it stands, this line can roll. They will get yet another year of the best Oline guys around in Cable and that is huge. I am more concerned about teams coming for him than I am the players. I just hope that they develop a solid foundation and system that can carry once Cable is gone. I don't see Cable making it past next year before getting another promotion somewhere else.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
A kid in the draft that is moving up on a lot of big boards is Menelik Watson, 6-5, 320, Florida St. He is currently ranked at #65 overall by cbssports.com. Many are saying that this guy is a physical FREAK even though he has only played in 20 games. He is a developmental pick and his potential is off the charts. He could be available with the Seahawks 3-rd round pick. I'll have my eye on him at the combine. I gotta see if he can really run a 4.7 forty at 320 lbs, that's really hauling ass for a big guy. The 10 & 20 yard splits should be interesting as well.

""Very interesting prospect who played one year at Florida State after spending time at a Junior College in California. Great size and athletic ability. The Florida State Athletic Site reports that he runs a 4.7 second 40 yard dash at 320 pounds. Will have to see that to believe it.""
http://nflmocks.com/2013/01/23/menelik- ... r-profile/

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Wartooth":26ah774b said:
They should have just put Carp on IR for the season last year...
It seemed like they rushed him back from a pretty serious knee injury...
Being a 1st round pick may have had something to do with that...
But why risk hobbling him with a lingering injury?
If they had IR'ed him for the season...
He would be as close to 100% as he's ever going to be at the beginning of mini camps this year...
Just seemed like a dumb move.

He had the ACL surgery the first time in December of 2011. Carp had plenty of time to ease back into playing condition and strength.

It's not like Pete just throws players back out onto the field after injuries. There's plenty of talking to the doctors, team trainers and the players themselves..........and plenty of monitoring. Carp was back out on the field because all parties involved thought he could go. If any one of them said no, he wouldn't go.

Pete's one of the most cautious coaches in the league. Can't put this on him.