What’s happened to the O?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tokadub":1gwm2f76 said:
After watching the 49ers game yesterday I gotta admit I'm pretty jealous of their offensive line. It seems they always create these giant seams effortlessly for their running backs. Even when the defense is completely stacked at the line it seems Gore can just pop right through his own guys into wide open space on a regular basis. I haven't seen this happen for us in a LONG time it seems.

At times defenders have been able to run right through our O-line untouched, straight up the middle it's kinda ludicrous.

Wilson also took 4 sacks vs Cardinals, I think 3 of them in 4th quarter? I would say they are still a big weakness especially when we try to force the run right up the middle at least 10 times a game.

Hence my theory that Unger is playing through some injuries that are really hindering him. We were never particulary strong up the middle, but we are worse that we were in 2012 by far. I first noticed this in the Jags game, and that wasn't a fluke, because it hasn't improved. I wish LJP had a better handle on all of the reads and calls, so we could just sit Unger and let him heal. LJP is stronger at the point of attack anyway.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Let's not forget the defenses we went up against these past three weeks.

The 49ers, playing at home, seeking revenge, and playing for playoffs. A loss there shuts the door on any division title possibilities for them. Add to that the quality of their defense. 'Nuff said.

The Giants, playing at home, playing for pride. Their defense showed up that day (offense, not so much). Their young LB, Beason, was making plays all over the field. Plus, if you go back several games, the Giants have been playing VERY good defense, and in fact I believe they've averaged only 57 rushing yards allowed over their past 11 games.

The Cardinals, playing against a division foe they lost to earlier in the year, now with a #1 ranked rushing defense, playing for their playoff lives.

We just faced three very good to elite rushing defenses, and all the talk has been about how our running game has stalled.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CPHawk":157a4brc said:
It may sound crazy, but I wonder if RW is over preparing for the games, and if the stress of winning a Super Bowl is getting to him a little bit. Sometimes it helps to just relax and play, have fun and not over think the game.

I was thinking that when Pete said he was at the vmac at 430 yesterday watching film. He may be overworking himself

justafan

Reaction score
Against the 9ers or cards the Oline just has not been tough enough or physical enough to impose their will against these teams.Giaco,Sweezy,Carp or Unger are just not the physically dominant, tough line to run the ball against the more physical teams in the league IMO.They can and they have but they arent doing it lately against the stacked fronts.Lynch seems to get singled out for not breaking 2 or 3 tackles like he can.No running back does that consistently.He needs holes like every back does.He need to trust the line will open those holes and trust his reads will be right.I love a run heavy offense but even Knox would tell Pete "you should let that Wilson kid throw the ball more.
The passing game should thrive with teams stacking the box.This team just doesnt seem to find its rhythm or timing that is a hallmark of good passing teams.3 step boom 5 step boom getting the ball out on time being in sync with the WRs.
Wilson takes 3 or 5 steps then starts looking for an exit,the good thing is he makes teams pay once he breaks containment.
Having said all that you dont go from a team scoring 30 or 40 pnts a game like they did in Nov. and Dec to scoring 10 against the cards because you suck all the sudden.We are still a top 10 scoring team.Most of it is the ebb and flow of the season IMO.Most teams go through it, unfortunately ours came when we really need to be clicking.
I expect us to snap out of it and get things rolling next week against the Rams and through the playoffs.

el capitan

Reaction score
I don't think it's Lynch or Wilson, I think it's an issue with the o-line, either scheme or talent, but something isn't right.
All the extra yards that we're used to seeing Lynch fight for, lately seem to be nessesary just to get back to the line of scrimmage. There is usually a DT in the backfield before Lynch has the ball secured these days.

General Manager

Reaction score
This offense has looked really predictable. They will lose if they try that approach in the playoffs they might lose anyway. I'm not sure if this offense is good enough to get it done anymore to many issues and that goes for the entire offense.