Well at least John gets it.

Zybot

Reaction score
I’m watching Pete and John during the combine and so far Kancey and Bresee are the only 2 that ran sub 5 second 40’s. After Bresee ran I saw John get up in Pete’s ear with a shit eating grin. Both will be gone by pick 20 I fear. But Kancey is a freak. He ran a 4.78 his first attempt and would absolutely be a beast in the middle.
Nolan Smith running a 4.39 is absurd

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I’m watching Pete and John during the combine and so far Kancey and Bresee are the only 2 that ran sub 5 second 40’s. After Bresee ran I saw John get up in Pete’s ear with a shit eating grin. Both will be gone by pick 20 I fear. But Kancey is a freak. He ran a 4.78 his first attempt and would absolutely be a beast in the middle.
Bresee's short arms (32.5") may keep him off of the Hawks big board. That, and he's not explosive (29" vertical). I'd rather Pete and John go elsewhere.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pete's a master BS'er for sure, but I appreciate his refreshing approach to talking to the press. MOST of the time he does put thought into his answers. He's cordial and gracious.

Unlike other blustery zero-burger coaches like Belichick who treat the press with utter disdain and give one word answers just trying to get his mandatory presssers over with ASAP.
Yeah, I feel the same. Belichick's style is also effective but it's a lot less pleasant.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Nolan Smith running a 4.39 is absurd
It is, but his lack of size (6'2", 238 lb.) and length (sub-33" arms) will challenge coaching staffs on how to best utilize that speed.

His speed and body type screams more LB than EDGE to me.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I just don't know why we didn't keep him around. It's the one thing the FO did that made me really think they were planning a rebuild before they saw Geno ball out.
Because we were going to a completely new defensive style and so the benefits of Bobby's experience running our previous defense were no longer enough to bring his financial value up to what the 'Hawks knew to be how much Bobby was going to want to stay.

Would we have been better with him? Without a doubt, but we had an idea for a new defense with Adams as the focal point. That didn't work out (for more than one reason) but it wasn't a crazy idea at the time.

This is why I'm still conflicted about bringing Bobby back. His numbers last year were good. But if we're still trying to run a 3-4 Fangio style defense (I hope not...), it again puts a ceiling on the value he'll bring to the team in terms of experience.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wow. That is pretty fast for an edge defender. Who cares if he's lighter than most edge guys. No 300+ tackle is going to be fast enough to catch him.

Back in the late 90s, Anthony Simmons was reputed to have run a 4.3 40. The Seahawks drafted him with the #15 pick. Not suggesting that Smith should be drafted there at all. But at #20 or #37 if he's still around may be right.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Here's a video of JS' combine interview. Kind of long but very interesting. In particular, starting at the 4-minute mark he discusses his earlier drafts (2010-2012) and last year's draft and how he's learned from his mistakes. He specifically mentions going back to drafting the best player available and not reaching to fill a need (e.g., L.J. Collier).

Latest posts